Upset Stomach

(Amanda Tirado) #1

Hey guys! I’m on day two of keto and I have a slightly embarrassing symptom since I’ve started. I’ve been having really loose stools and I’m probably going to attribute it to my body freaking out that A I’m no longer eating junk and B I’m loading my body up with fats. About how long did this last if any of you guys have experienced it?

I’ve been lightheaded since yesterday and made sure to add some salt to my food and drink some in my water today. It hasn’t helped much unfortunately :c I haven’t had this much difficulty since I first started keto earlier this summer. Getting back on the horse this time is really kicking my rear!

(Running from stupidity) #2

Are you doing the other electrolytes as well as just sodium?

(Amanda Tirado) #3

Just the sodium! Is there something else that can give me all the electrolytes I need?

(Running from stupidity) #4

This is what we’re using currently (this specific product won’t be much use to you as it’s Aussie, but just as an example).

• sodium
  • potassium
  • calcium
  • magnesium

(Candy Lind) #5

This could also mean you’re dehydrated, so step up the water and/or electrolyte drinks. If you tend towards low-normal blood pressure, your heart has to work harder because you have less blood to circulate when you’re dehydrated. When I started really concentrating on getting enough salt and enough water (which was a LOT more than I had been getting), things really got better. Salt regulates the other electrolytes, so it’s the most important.

I use an electrolyte drink called Ultima Replenisher off Amazon - stevia-sweetened. I mix it about half to 2/3 strength and drink close to 4 quarts a day, plus I take a salt pill every evening and some mornings if I don’t feel like I got enough salt the day before. You can also make a homemade “keto-aide” electrolyte drink - recipes HERE and HERE.

(Running from stupidity) #6

As Candy say, gotta drink.

This is how I use the electrolyte powder.

I’m 2 months in and still waiting to be constipated that’s one of reasons why I started keto. Salt helps with being light headed. I use to hardly put salt on anything now I use it on everything and quite a bit of it good luck don’t quit you got this

(Alex) #8

as everyone before me has already stated, hydration and ALL electrolytes are key. drink PLENTY of water. aim to get between 3000 and 5000mg of sodium per day. i would recommend buying a magnesium supplement, as it’s not the easiest thing to get through food. i take a 500mg magnesium pill daily, you can find them at walmart or target. you can get most of your potassium through foods like nuts, avocados, and salads. also, keeping up with your sodium intake helps to keep potassium stabilized. i never worried about calcium when i started keto, but i made sure to supplement the other electrolytes as well as drank a lot of water. i’m currently almost 2 months into keto and never dealt with keto flu or feeling sluggish or dizzy or anything like that!

(Alex) #9

just google search calcium-rich foods on a ketogenic diet, and try to incorporate some of them into your daily routine. plenty of good options out there

(Amanda Tirado) #10

Thank you all! This definitely helps

(Dena Gann) #11

I was having the dizzy ness as well and after doing some reading, got supplements of potassium, magnesium, calcium, and vitamin C. I started feeling MUCH better almost overnight. As to sodium, I can’t do that one as I have Miners Disease so that one is out. I get enough of that through food. And the loos stools, it actually has the opposite effect on me which was a relief due to having IBS. I do take probiotics to help keep better timing.

(D) #12

I got a all in one magnesium, calcium and zinc supplement at Trader Joe’s. I think it’s definitely helping me!

(Wendy) #13

Just an additional hint on magnesium, Don’t use magnesium oxide especially if your having loose stools. It will make it worse and you will poop all the magnesium out. The one that works for me is mag glycinate. I tried Nested which is good because it doesn’t have any bad binders and just recently got Pure Magnesium to try a larger dose. (It does have cellulose and gelatin in it though.) I found both on Amazon. I’m currently taking 100 to 200 mg a night. It’s very calming too.