Unsure of what is going on

So my weight has been stalling between minus 7 and 8 kilos. I basically eat the same every day and keep my carbs at 20g or below. Sometimes I have made myself sugar free jello, but only maybe once or twice. When stressed i might have a few strawberries and whipped cream. But seldom. Usually its eggs and bacon for breakfast and some meat and cauliflower mac and cheese for a meal. A few pork rinds. I am almost always under my caloric limit.
Since 3 days, the ketosticks show that I am not in ketosis. I have no idea why or how? Before this happened, I was negative in the mornings and the sticks got purple by night. Lately - like 3-4 days- they never turn purple anymore. I know a lot of people here never measure their ketones and just keep on eating keto.
But here is where it gets very wierd. I have been peeing a lot lately. Like I even have to get up in the middle of the night. And I dont know if I am imagining things or not, but I get the sense that my body is getting tighter somehow? Like the fat has become more solid than 1-2 weeks ago, and that my silhouette is slimming down?
And last but not least, I had to go to the grocery store and put on a cardigan. The cardigan was always large and loose. But today I felt like I was drowning in it - it was absolutely HUGE.
WHAT IS GOING ON? Am I hallucinating or something? Has anybody else seen something like this happen to them? I guess maybe I would believe it if I saw a change on the scale. But the scale is not moving, and so I feel like I must be imagining things.
I have been keto for 4 months.

(Allie) #2

Forget the scales and use a tape measure. Keto sticks are useless, throw them away. Sounds like you’re doing great.

(Ben ) #3

Are you bragging or complaining ?:sunglasses:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@Chantarella Weight loss is not a linear process but more a process of lose/gain/remain repeat. A lot of stuff happens in ketosis and sometimes other stuff takes precedence and weight stabilizes. You’re healing yourself from whatever damage has been caused by years of eating SAD. What needs to get done gets done if you let it. Just might not get done in the timeframe you imagine.

As for being in ketosis, as @Shortstuff says, ketostix only measure acetoacetate (and possibly some β-hydroxybutyrate) that gets excreted unused. Even then, they’re not very accurate with the relatively low concentrations typical during nutritional ketosis. Plus, other factors influence how many ketones get to urine and excreted. If you’re eating sub-20 grams of carbs per day and remain conscious, you are in ketosis, simply because such a low intake of carbs can not provide sufficient energy to keep you alive.

@BenBoy
Neither. I am confused and think I am imagining things perhaps? So I was wondering if other people felt the same or experienced the same. I mean, how can I weigh the same and be smaller? I just doesn’t make sense.

(Susan) #6

Hehe I liked this – and you are doing great, Chantarella, it sounds like you are eating well, and your body is reformatting nicely. Keep up the good work! I agree with all the comments above, I have never used pee sticks or meters either, I know that some people like them but I am on a tight budget so not something I ever splurged on.

@amwassil
Oh yeah- YEARS of damage from eating SAD. I used to eat cakes and pies all the time! Loved french fries.

@Momof5
Thx Mom. It just seems so surreal.

(Pete A) #9

It all sounds wonderful, CONGRATS on what is success!

@Pete_A
If the scale doesnt go down, I don’t feel like its real. It feels like cheating or something.

(Pete A) #11

If you stick to the program it will go down. Whether your mind agrees or not haha good luck!

Megan Ramos in a fasting lane podcast said men tend to lose weight , women tend to reconstitute bone ,and change out fat for muscle and bone… something to that effect. In effect get smaller but don’t weight less.
Measuring yourself every so often would be smart I wish I had.

thx guys.
I would really like to see the scale go down.
I guess I don’t trust my own perceptions. LOL.
But it is KCKO anyway. I am loving it.

Fat is redistributed to muscle so it is available for muscle cells to burn as fuel.

Thx but that study says like absolutely nothing.

Plenty to read.

https://www.google.com/search?q=intramuscular+fat+ketosis

https://www.google.com/search?q=fat+distribution+ketosis

these studies say nothing. one says “longer study must be done”. the other used rodents. these studies come to no conclusions. It is a total waste of time.

(Scott) #19

No hurry here, just let your body do what it wants to do. There is always room to adjust later if needed. Keto is a very long term plan for life, all you need to do is enjoy the ride!

(Jane) #20

You don’t have to. Take the advice already given and start using a tape measure and record several places - waist, hips, tops of thighs, etc

@Janie
Maybe I should. It seems so inaccurate. You can measure higher or lower, unless you use an ink pen mark to be able to replace the tape exactly as before. But I think my main hinderance is that I just don’t believe it. Guess I should try it out if you guys all say so.