Unintended side effect of Keto - I'm a Butter Snob

humor
butter
food

(Stickin' with mammoth) #21

Hysterical. Candy stores and doughnut shops should have a screen inside playing a documentary on a loop showing how they actually make their crap.

(Patrick B.) #22

I literally just got KerryGold for the first time today. Had my brother pick it up. I now see what all the hype is about.

(Candace) #23

It is definitely the best!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #24

Okay, I read to the end of this thread, got up from my desk, went to the fridge, got the Kerrygold out that I bought yesterday, sunk a knife into one corner, andā€¦

Butter! Now, with more butter taste!

Itā€™s like eating farm fresh eggs again after suffering through carton after carton of store bought stuff. And bonus: Kerrygold is a whole buck cheaper at Trader Joeā€™s!

My 16 month old granddaughter helped herself to a butter snack.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #26

Isigny St Mere do an unpasteurised butter that we can nowadays get in Waitrose (in the UK), which I have standardised on. (But the unsalted version is pasteurised ā€¦ donā€™t know why. I get the salted version of course).

Iā€™m sure Kerrygold is ok, but I got a bit put off it when they started selling it here in plastic tubs instead of the traditional foil wrap. Iā€™m conditioned to thinking that anything in the ā€œbutter/spreadsā€ section in a plastic tub is fake butter of some kind.

(Steven Cook) #27

Thanks for that ā€œheads upā€ Iā€™ll hunt some down next time Iā€™m in Waitrose. Have been using the ā€œTesco Finestā€ version up until now.

(bikeflea) #28

Margarine is poison. Literally. Read the science. So bad for his body.

(Candace) #29

I feel blessed that I can find Kerry Gold, lol
We still get ours in the foil wrap, though :slight_smile:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #30

Most real butters here are still in foil wrap (I think some are even in the more traditional greaseproof paper wrap), so Kerrygold kind of stands out in that respectā€¦well actually, if you are just looking casually, you might think itā€™s just another ā€œspreadā€ (non-butter, or only partly butter). No doubt some marketing expert told them this would work betterā€¦

Philadelphia cream cheese is also in a plastic tub, although not so long ago it was in a foil wrap I think, and Iā€™ve seen pictures from the US with it still in (probably) foil.

It seems an unwise marketing move, since most people are aware now of the various environmental issues around plastics. Also to my mind (I could be accused of being ā€œcarefulā€ with money sometimesā€¦), itā€™s much easier to scrape every last drop from a flat piece of foil than it is to try to scoop it all out of a plastic tub. Now, that couldnā€™t be a cynical ploy to make us waste more (and therefore buy more) could it? - nah, surely notā€¦ :smiling_imp:

(Jennifer) #31

I get the concern over plastics, but I am just as concerned about aluminum. Maybe we should try to get them to sell butter in glass jars?

Or I just need to hurry up and buy my farm, get a cow and make my own damn butter. That would be heavenā€¦

(Rich Hopkins) #32

This thread led me to go out and buy some Kerrygoldā€¦ Wow. Iā€™m sold.

(Danielle) #33

(Stickin' with mammoth) #34

This thread led me to get up and get the Kerrygold out of my fridge. And a spoon.

(patkjohnson) #35

I totally AGEEā€¦Iā€™ve told my hubby "if youā€™re not eating LCHFā€¦you canā€™t have my BUTTER!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #36

Thatā€™s legal.

I see your Kerrygold and raise you the delicious Westgold!!

And I recommend Finlandia! Especially when Safeway has it on sale 2/$4 (7 oz bricks)
Kerrygold is $2.89 next week at Rednerā€™s if youā€™re in PA.

President Butter (France) isnā€™t bad either.

(Adam L) #39

Where in Melb are you getting this from Kate? I recently found Kerrygold at Maxi supermarket in Upper Ferntree Gully & for me it truly lived up to its great reputation.

Westgold? Woolworths!