Unexpected Benefits of Keto

(Mike Crouch) #1

I am sure this has been done before, but I am new to the forum so maybe if will fly.
I have been on Keto since July last year having lost 28lb & have now reached my goal weight of 176ib. I have noticed a couple of effects that I hadn’t expected

1. My awful & embarrassing fungally infected toe nails began to clear up almost as soon as I started & have nearly grown out. I bought some open toed sandals to wear on holiday yesterday, no more embarrassment!
  2. My teeth were very sensitive to cold & bled slightly three times out of four when brushing. Now they never bleed & I think I could now bite into an ice cream without any effect, but I won’t be of course
    Has anyone else experienced any unexpected benefits from this diet?

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Toe nails are very thick and as strong as steel. Finger nails grow crazy fast. I don’t get sick other than hay fever. Used to get sick 3 to 5 times a year with ear infections, sinus infections, chest colds, bronchitis etc.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #3

no more jointpains, no more monthly pains, more energy, thicker hair.
Less moodswings,

I don’t get as sore from workouts and i recover faster.

(Dina sha) #4

i noticed the my joint pain and feet swelling are much much better

(Mike Crouch) #5

More energy yes, not quite unexpected for me though, but thicker hair, I am thinning I doubt anything will reverse that

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #6

I am a girl, so for me it was a hormonal issue that was fixed by keto, I did have to help it along a bit with a zinc supplement though. No Idea how it works for men though :woman_shrugging:

(Mike Crouch) #7

Want to read a bit of nonsense? … make of it what you will

(Khara) #8

Ugh. Painful. :woman_facepalming::woman_facepalming:

(charlie3) #9
  1. My beginner understanding is carbs are inflamatory on average. Drastically reducing them probably promotes healing.

2. Teeth and gums don’t like sugar/carbs. That has been understood for centuries.

(Roxanne) #10

No more chronically stuffed sinuses for me, no more snoring or passing gas for either of us. And my fingertips didn’t crack open once this winter!

(Mike Crouch) #11

My wife has just gone on keto after seeing my success & has suffered from chrinic sinusitis for years, if the keto helps that she will be well pleased

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #12

I just realized my dust allergie has improved drastically. :astonished::astonished:
Two weeks ago when cleaning out the basement with my dad. I would have been dying. Sneezing, nose running, eyes burning all over the place in minutes

I was working for 4 hours and had just a tiny itch in my left eye for about half an hour after…

(Mike Crouch) #13

That’s brilliant!

(Jane) #14

Here is another thread you might enjoy on the same subject.

(Kay) #15

For me the speedy recovery after exercise is a real added bonus. I also like the fact my stomach doesn’t make whale noises after I eat anymore :grinning:

cool! Mine is… I haven’t been sick since 2017! I have definitely been exposed to viruses and would typically have caught them. I think my immune system just bats them off now!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

But, folks, the real question is, apart from the weight loss, fungal and dental healing, improved resistance to infection, reduction in arthritis and other inflammation, improved mood and energy, reduced peripheral neuropathy, better hormonal regulation, reduction in allergies, better digestion, improved vision, reversal of type II diabetes and fatty liver disease, increased cognition, lower blood pressure, elimination of visceral fat, and lower blood sugar, what, if anything, has keto actually done for us? :rofl:

(Roxanne) #18

Guilt free bacon, chicken wings and BUTTER!

(Scott) #19

I feel good, I am losing weight, cholesterol number are great, don’t feel bloated without carbs.

I truly don’t think I have even started completing this list but at seven months in I am just getting started.

(Mike Crouch) #20

Lamb chops, belly pork, now I don’t cut the fat off but eat the whole lot except the bones of course. I seem to have got used to eating fat from meat, but it would have turned my stomach pre keto