Understanding Autophaghy

I’m still pretty much a newbie myself and learning a lot every day, but what I have been struggling with is wrapping my head around autophagy. There are plenty of clinical-sounding explanations, but they didn’t quite click for me. I stumbled on this today that made it easier to digest (ha): https://greatist.com/live/autophagy-fasting-exercise#6

I thought it might be useful for some other newbies.

I’m sure hoping this starts to kick in for me. Five-plus months in and things are getting … crinkly and weirdly puckered.

('Jackie P') #2

Lol I am 60 years old and 13 months in. I am also feeling a little…misshapen! I’m full of hope and determined to emerge like a butterfly from a chrysalis!:blush:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #3

I stopped reading when it said lots of peanut butter shakes are popular with the keto crowd. But generally correct. I’m going to the kitchen now to make my autophagy boosting peanut butter shake and then I am set for an evening of self cannibalism…:grin::joy::joy::slightly_smiling_face:

:cowboy_hat_face:

Well yes, some parts you have to take with a grain of himalayan sea salt, but the way it was presented clicked for me.

(Katie) #5

Autophagy is a simple concept. Basically, you body will begin to turn on the mechanism to clean up dead, misshapen, unused, old, sick cells…tearing them apart to recycle the amino acids and proteins. If you are already in Ketosis this will start to turn on about 18 hours into fasting. Max seems to be between 24 and 36 hours. The benefit continue to peak about 72 hours then level off.

Autophagy is achieved by not eating…anything. Nothing. Water, electrolytes, coffee…nothing else.

The papers written by Yoshinori Ohsumi (the guy that won the Nobel prize in medicine) are a bit heavy with terminology…but if you don’t mind looking up words for a while…the reading is great.

The skinny is…stop eating for a period of time from at least 18 hours…maybe even 24 hours…and don’t eat for the next 48 to 72 hours to get this benefit.

Even the loose skin will begin to be recycled through autophagy…now that’s motivation!