Understanding alcohol on Keto

(Ashley) #1

Hi All, about a week in here. I’m doing keto plus intermittent fasting (15/9). I was pretty close to doing this naturally just because of the way I like to eat, so thankfully this doesn’t feel like a huge change, but I’ve upped my game a bit.

Question though: I do love wine. I’ve been having days off but this weekend is my birthday, and I’m likely to have a bit more. If I drink say 3-4 glasses of vino but stay under 30 net carbs am I OK or have I likely pushed myself out of keto due to concentrated carb consumption and corresponding insulin spike? I do understand that alcohol will be processed first thereby delaying burning of fat so there’s that negative as well.

Just asking before I develop bad habits!! Thanks in advance!

(Justin ) #2

Hey Ashley, hows it going? I have been on for about 6 weeks doing keto and I do love my wine as well. I believe it varies by person and yeah you may get kicked out but not for long. It’s your birthday though so I say go for it. Maybe just don’t eat a large pizza by yourself after drinking! LOL Have fun and I wouldn’t worry about one day. I think maybe the day after do a longer intermittent fast and drink lots or water and salt. Get back on track and keep on living. I see too many posts on here being so strict. Dr Berg does not drink and I like all his videos and information are amazing but he is a buzzkill when it comes to drinking. Have some really good fats and vegetables day of your birthday and drink water when having wine! Cheers and Happy Birthday!

(Ashley) #3

JNO, this is such a kind first reply to receive - thank you! I appreciate your balanced approach. I hate getting obsessed/stressed with food and diet and think that sometimes it can kill long term dedication because it feels onerous. Thanks for the tips! I’ll be exercising heavily this weekend and my requested meal is steak and crab with veg so I don’t think a few vinos is going to scupper my keto too much.

How have things been going for you now that you are almost 2 months in? Has it been pretty easy? Feeling well?

(Justin ) #4

Awesome and you are very welcome I also love the positivity! That will go a long way for sure. My advice is look at this a a lifestyle change. I and most of us on here have grown up being taught that fats are bad and it will make you fat. Well I have learned to embraced good, healthy fats and its empowering. Sounds cheese but it really is. I am taking control of my diet and putting in the effort while enjoying my lifestyle which includes wine sometimes.
I am feeling great thanks for asking. I have had some cheat days because I did go to Vegas so cmon right? It is not really easy because anyone I tell even friends say, oh no thats a bad diet. I dont look at it as a diet, I look at it as being educated about nutrition and doing what I need to do to get to a healthy weight where I feel happy. I started at 192lbs Feb 21 and I am 45years old and dropped to 173lbs today. I feel great and cravings have gone pretty much. I do intermittent fast usually 16:8 but it varies.

(Justin ) #5

Oh and forgot, if you haven’t watched “The Magic Pill” on Netflix DO IT! Should be a life changer for everyone and it is very inspiring!

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #6

Welcome! I have red wine about every other weekend. I usually have 2-3 glasses. I test before which is usually 2.5 and then after my wine which takes me down to about a .2 but by the next morning I’m back up to my normal ketone level again. Funny thing is too that usually after a wine drinking weekend I lose one to two pounds next day. Of course everyone is different.

(Scott) #7

Yes wine will delay fat burning but you can make it fit carb wise. I drink about a half bottle (wife and I usually split a little less than a bottle) and I suppose it slows weight loss but we still lose or maintain.

I drink often. If I’m being totally honest and at the risk of being judged lol almost daily! Ha ha! Maybe just a glass, but on a regular basis. I test daily with the precision meter and it’s only when I indulge in multiple glasses that it affects my score. Rarely am I kicked out of ketosis completely, more like scores between .5-.9 Nutritional ketosis, not optimal ketosis. Worth it to me!!

(Justin ) #9

Cheers

(Jennibc) #10

The one thing I noticed after I started this way of eating and then had alcohol. It hit me much harder - like I was impaired after a single drink. Please consider this if you will be driving.

(Ashley) #11

Hey Scott, I know a lot of people trying to cut back and they swear by Annie Grace’s book The Naked Mind (and the podcast). In case that’s helpful.

(Shannon Swanson) #12

Same here. I have found Truly (Blueberry/Acai) is my favorite. Considering I was a beer drinker this is totally different for me. Thank you for sharing and your honesty. I no longer feel alone.

(Scott) #13

Thanks, I know I know I need to make a change but years of over indulging is a obstacle but I will check it out.