Under 20g Carbs?

(asutton) #1

This is a 6 oz hamburger Steak, 3 cups of mixed salad with 30 g walnuts, 1 Cup of sauerkraut, 2 tablespoons Walden’s zero calorie zero carb dressing, 2 cups of steamed cabbage, one tablespoon olive oil & Bulletproof Coffee (1 tbs coconut oil, ghee, cacao). This is 41 Carbs and less than 1100 calories. I am 51 years of age, 250 lbs with high blood pressure. How can I keep carbs down low enough and still maintain 1800 calories a day?

I know me without adequate roughage in my diet, I can’t … once a day. The more roughage I eat the higher the carbs go.

(Alec) #2

Simply remove all the veg, and eat 2 hamburgers. You don’t need the veg.

(Scott) #3

I aim for <50g carbs daily mostly because I like some wine and veggies. I have had good results but probably slower results too. it is a bit uncomfortable in the beginning as your body adapts but I usually don’t go daily anymore. Not real sure why, added fat? less fiber? less carbs? The point is I just don’t feel the need to go as much and it is not causing discomfort anymore.

(Scott) #4

This is so true. I am almost at my ideal weight so I don’t need to be super strict on carbs. If I had some weight or other things that need immediate attention I dial back the veggies. I only have a small portion at dinner. For example your salad, I may just place some protein on it or on the plate with maybe four asparagus spears. My wife likes plates to look pretty.

(bulkbiker) #5

If you put less crap in you get a lot less crap out… you really don’t need to shit every day its just habit.

(Kirk Wolak) #6

Let me ask you. If you were not bloated, and did not feel constipated. Would it be OKAY to have either:
A) One Bowel Movement every couple of days
B) A really small Bowel Movement every day

When I switched, I realized my colon was probably a 4XL whereas a medium was fine. It had to shrink with me. And I would go a week or more without a BM. But it was not painful, and I did not feel constipated. (If I did, I was not afraid to use an enema, and I would if I was getting migraines from food reactions!)

anyways, let go of the need to always produce a BM after eating. And cut all of that roughage out. 1-2 TBSP of sauerkraut would be it (if I was not allergic).

Add more fat/protein, and add liver. The more calories you consume of fat/protein, the higher your metabolism will go (to a limit). I am 52. I went from a plate full of veggies, no bread/carbs, small piece of meat, to Carnivore, eating 3lbs of bacon + ribeye on some days (most days 1-2lbs of bacon + ribeye). And lost weight like no tomorrow, with tons of energy.

The vegetables held me back.

Pro Tip: Chia Seeds for bulk! Dr. Boz has a video on this (Not Chia Seeds have lectins and I cannot tolerate lectins, but this works for others):

(asutton) #7

OMG you may just have saved me. Heading to store now for chia seeds.

Thanks a ton

(Carl Keller) #8

I treat myself to cabbage and onions every now and then but I limit myself to a cup per day because of all the natural sugars in them. I like vegetables but I know I don’t need them. I’ve learned that reaching satiety and remaining without hunger for the longest possible amount of time, relies on fat and protein. Meat, fish and eggs are my focus and vegetables are an afterthought I can live without or eat in moderation.

(asutton) #9

Yeah this is all meats and just 1 cup of cabbage with flaxseed on top. But it is 10 oz of hamburger steak and 4 chicken legs. I can do this and 1619 calories.

(Carl Keller) #10

If this sates your hunger then fine, but if you are still hungry, eat more. In order to lose weight in a healthy manner, we need to make sure we are not going hungry. It may sound counter-intuitive to eat more to become healthier, but if you choose the right foods, your hormones will heal and begin to start behaving like they are supposed to. The amount of food you will need to eat should naturally decline as your body gets better at burning fat for fuel. Don’t eat toward a number. Eat toward a result.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

You must be tracking total carbs with a 41 gram amount for that meal. I make my own sauerkraut and eat it raw. Sauerkraut has 1/5 the amount of carbs as the same amount of steamed cabbage. You really should consider tracking net carbs since the fiber you’re so worried about is an indigestible form of carbohydrate. A full cup of sauerkraut has only 1.2 net carbs compared to 5.4 for regular cooked cabbage. Homemade sauerkraut is very easy to make and has live probiotics that will improve your digestion eaten raw. All you need is cabbage and salt and something to ferment in, easy and fun and healthy. You can have your vegetables if you like them, carnivore does make things a bit of a no brainer in many respects but that’s a whole other step in keto and not for everyone.

As far as pooping copious amounts daily try to thing of it as less crap in, less crap out. All the high fiber that has been recommended for years is based on people eating highly processed constipating foods and starches which produce a lot of waste. When you add cheese and meat to that you get blockage without additional fiber. Meat and cheese alone don’t cause constipation. Keto food is more completely absorbed in your digestive track meaning less coming out as waste. I used to take senna and collace everyday and was still constipated almost all the time.

After I went keto no more constipation, in fact the softeners had to be stopped because I was too loose. I haven’t been constipated or had to “push” since I started keto 9 months ago. I still go almost everyday day, but with much less bulk than before.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(asutton) #12

That is awesome going to youtube sauerkraut recipes since I love the stuff and make my own. Are fat bombs I read about a trick to uping calories and fat?

(Kirk Wolak) #13

Personally, I prefer my fat bombs to be pieces of fat hanging on my chuck roasts or ribeyes. (BTW, Sous Vide a Chuck Roast for 72-96 hrs at 133, comes out medium rare. Pat it dry, hit it with a torch, or a REALLY hot pan for a quick sear. It eats like ribeye at a fraction of the price).

I am allergic to most of the good ones, so I have to pass on them. But add bacon. Add All Natural Sausage Patties (No MSG, No crap fillers, etc). And keep that fat poured on top of them.

Pepperoni have the perfect Keto Ratio of 85% fat! That’s my fat bomb! That and bacon and the above sausage.

Also, if you tolerate butter. That to me is the ONLY reason to eat a vegetable. To be a delivery system for grease/fat/butter!

Also, adding fat to your diet will help you go. And take some magnesium at least for a while during the adjustment phase.