Ultra Pasteurized Dairy

(Mark Rhodes) #1

Ultra Pasteurized milk is milk that is flash heated to 275F ( 135C) for 2-54 seconds in order to kill bacterial endospores. This is done to make the milk “shelf stable” requiring no refrigeration. A product in the United States called Dean’s Ultra- pasteurized Heavy Whipping Cream falls under this designation although Organic Valley also uses this on some of their brands according to their website.

My question: Does the flash heat destroy just bacteria or does it affect nutrients found in dairy, particularly cream and does it alter the proteins enough in an attempt to become stable. It seems every time we develop a process for creating shelf stable food products we create some form of downstream harm. I already stay consistently A2 dairy as much as possible to avoid certain caseins found in A1 dairy.

I have looked through the forums and cannot find an answer. There seems to be little if any difference in micronutrients but I could find absolutely nothing about how lipids and proteins might be affected. There is a book that I might buy but it is a 1988 publication.

For more reading: https://www.100daysofrealfood.com/is-ultra-pasteurized-milk-bad/

Looking forward to learning about this.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

Start here:

A lot of folks think even normal pasteurized milk has lost nutritional value. So don’t expect a simple answer.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

Pasteurisation definitely affects the taste of milk, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there were other effects, as well. My mother’s two sisters both married farmers, while we were city-dwellers, and I well remember my cousins, especially the ones who were dairy farmers, disliking the taste of the pasteurised, homogenised milk we had in the house.

What, exactly, changes during pasteurisation and whether those changes are good, bad, or neutral is a whole different question, and I haven’t heard of research into this (though that doesn’t mean there is no such research). @marklifestyle I’d be willing to bet that if anyone knows where to find such research, it’d be Peter Ballerstedt.

(Mark Rhodes) #4

Good Idea.

(Mark Rhodes) #5

Compared to raw milk IT has lost nutritional value. That is not debatable. Te raw milk debate is about bacteria more than nutrition. I think Burton showed the B12 issues as well as asorbic acid loss the more pasteurization the milk gets.

(Jane) #6

I love raw cow and goat milk! Not a scientific answer but when I make yogurt I heat pasteurized milk to 180 F then cool it back down to 100 F before adding the starter culture.

My understanding is heating it to 180 changes the structure of the proteins and makes for a better yogurt texture. I feed it to my chickens so if it loses some nutritional value it’s no big deal.

(Bob M) #7

I listened to someone who said drinking raw milk can also return something (enzymes? bacteria?) you need to help digest dairy. I was going to give this a try, adding it to my coffee, but I could not find any raw milk.

I have been testing the A1/A2 protein theories by eating A2 (goat, sheep) cheeses. They don’t seem to make me want to eat more or have any effect I can tell. Would have to do a careful comparison with A1 cheese. Haven’t done that yet.

I’m a diagnosed lactose intolerant which I don’t agree with, but have zero issues with raw dairy, I have bloating and gas issues with any real amount of pasteurized stuff. Raw milk, cheese, ice cream all cause zero problems for me. I also noticed huge improvement in my skin when drinking it which I found after after the fact was a known thing, I have seborrheic dermatitis and when it’s not happy I have red marks on my face. It’s gotta be the bacteria.

(Bob M) #9

I’ll have to find some raw milk, then. (Thought the “fancy” grocery store we go to sometimes had it…but did not. Trader Joe’s? Whole foods? Not sure where I saw it.)

While I’m not a big fan of most of what’s said about “the biome”, I can easily see there’s a lot we don’t know about this.

Listened to a science news article about a study where they had Japanese (I believe) fishermen who were eating seaweed while out fishing. The scientists found out that these fishermen had bacteria that allowed them to better digest this particular seaweed. They also figured out there was a transfer of genetic material between bacteria on the seaweed and bacteria in the fishermen’s guts, and this is what allowed them to digest the seaweed.

Whoa.

So, I’ll see if I can find some raw milk and use it in my cold coffee. Will report back if I can find it.

(Mark Rhodes) #10

depending on state you can find raw milk direct only at the farm. While Wisconsin does not allow for raw milk to my knowledge our southern neighbor Illinois does.

I tested the wife expensively on A1/A2. she always knew by stomach distress an hour or so later. I would sneak some A1 cheese in so it was a N=1 Single Blind study. Currently buying Annabelle mozzarella made from water buffalo milk ( mail order Colorado)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

The Common Bond Market in Huntington Plaza, Shelton, sells raw milk.

(Jane) #12

Typically you have to buy raw milk directly from the farm like I do.

There is strong opposition to raw milk from the commercial dairy associations so the restrictions can be harsh. I know of no state where you can buy raw dairy anywhere but directly from the farm.

(Mark Rhodes) #13

(Jane) #14

Thanks for this. I am happy to see many states now allowing retail sales of raw milk.

The herdshares is a loophole since you can obtain raw milk from a cow you own or partially own.

(Bob M) #15

Thanks. I will drive by that today, on my way to the Farm.

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

Thanks Mark for posting about this company. They raise herds in Columbia, but there are several grocery stores within a half hr. of my house in the Denver CO suburbs that I can find these products.

(Bob M) #17

Well, I had to pass the store, as I was rushing to get home to my family (it was my birthday). I’ll have to pass by again when I pick up my chickens (I’m part of a chicken CSA), as I went to a different store and could not find raw milk.

(Thomas Westheimer) #18

Good luck finding even pasteurized milk these days. Raw milk is so sweet and good. There are many bacteria’s that are beneficial and very few that are bad. What the bacteria does that they don’t like is reduced profitability only. Not nutrition.

(Jane) #19

What country do you live in?

All the milk I have ever bought in the US was just pasteurized. Our half-and-hlf and heavy cream is ultra-pasteurized but typically not our milk.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

In Connecticut, most of the milk is ultra-pasteurised. It’s difficult to find anything that isn’t.