Ugh...Roasts (in the U.S.)

(Bob M) #1

So, went to make this Alton Brown recipe for “rump roast”:

Went to the store and saw “bottom rump roast”, but accidentally picked up “bottom round roast” because it was the correct weight (about 3.5 pounds). Many different roasts, all in the same spot. Did not realize what I did until I got home.

So, what’s the difference between “bottom rump roast” (or rump roast) and “bottom round roast”?

https://www.ehow.com/info_7945374_difference-round-roast-rump-roast.html

Apparently, the rump roast is fattier. Darn!

And it’s even more confusing, as here’s an Epicurious article all about roasts, and it does not mention a “rump roast”:

Well, I’ll see what happens 10 hours from now. By the way, Alton Brown sears the meat first then puts it in the sous vide. I did not do this, because for us to eat around 5:30pm, I needed to get the roast in the sous vide by about 7am. I did not want wake others up by searing at 6:30 am. So, I’ll sear it when I pull it out 10 hours from now.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

Bob

How did it turn out?

(Bob M) #3

It was OK. It had a nice flavor, and we were able to use the jus to create a sauce with butter. I also added some veal demi-glace, and some stock.

It was a tiny bit tough. I think the actual rump roast would be better, as it’s fattier.

However, I went to the local store, where they had a sign that said “rump roasts” were on sale…but all they had were bottom round roasts. I did not have time to ask the butcher about this.