Type 2 and IF

(Nickie) #1

I am type 2 and my blood sugars are highest in the morning (100-110) and they stay elevated until I eat. About and hour or two after I eat they come down to 80-85.

Should I stop IF and start eating breakfast again so that my glucose is lower all day?

Any advice is appreciated.

(TJ Borden) #2

That’s common in the morning and nothing to be concerned about.

(Nickie) #3

Thank you. Since I started IF I don’t eat until 2pm so my glucose is elevated half of the day. Is that a concern?

(Ron) #4

(TJ Borden) #5

It depends on what you mean by elevated, but if it’s the 100-110 range, then I wouldn’t be concerned at all. Ketoeans can have higher than average blood sugars because our bodies sometimes keep more on hand since we’re not taking it in.

As long as you’re not having spikes (like hitting 180 plus) from meals, you’re probably fine. The better indicator is to check your A1C next time you see your doctor.

(Nickie) #6

Thank you both. Ok. I’ll keep at the IF. I’m newly diagnosed in March and my A1c went from 9 to 5.5 as of last week. I have been keto for about 6 weeks now.

(TJ Borden) #7

That’s AMAZING… yeah, I wouldn’t worry about your glucose levels. Not only is that not even close to the diabetic level, it’s under what the doctors would be trying to get you to with meds.

Nice job!!! :+1:

(Nickie) #8

Wonderful. Thanks for the encouragement. My doc seemed unimpressed. Lol

(bulkbiker) #9

Do you have anything to drink n the morning? Coffee with cream has been known to stop the DP rise in some people…

(Nickie) #10

No. I don’t drink anything in the mornings. I just drink water.

Thank you. I have never heard that. Would that break my fast?

(bulkbiker) #11

I have coffee or tea every morning (usually both) does it break my fast? depends on why I am fasting. I haven’t eaten breakfast for almost 3 years just have the morning drinks so I reckon that is fasting. Water fasting obviously not. Insulin spiking- probably very little which is what I’m aiming for. I always have cream in my coffee even when extended fasting so does that inhibit autophagy? Nobody knows although everyone has an opinion…
why not try it and see…?

(Nickie) #12

This morning my glucose was 86 so if it stays this way I won’t change what I’m doing but if it goes above 100 I will give it a try.