Type 1 diabetic with PCOS and no weight loss

newbies

(Lindsay Schmitt) #1

I have been doing keto for two months. The first week I lost eight pounds, but after that, I’ve not lost anything. My carbs are at 25/daily, 112g protein, and 141g fat (I got these from ketodietapp.com so that I had a place to start) and track anything and everything I eat. I exercise every day and am at a complete loss. My legs were swelling, so I incorporated potassium supplements into my diet, along with electrolytes, and that helped alleviate that, but I’m still stuck. I have a LOT of weight to lose (I’m 5’8" and weigh 275). Also, being a type 1 diabetic with PCOS, I know that will slow things down, but I should be seeing something! I do check for ketones and am currently burning a moderate amount. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That’s going to be mostly water weight from glycogen depletion and less inflammation.

112 g of protein sounds kind of high unless you have a very high muscle mass. I’d try going to 1g/kg lean body weight and see if that makes a difference. So if you are maybe at 35% bodyfat, that would work out to 80g protein/day. Also, don’t think of the fat macro as a requirement. If you’re not hungry, stop eating.

You are insulin dependant? Or did you mean type-2 diabetic?

What are you using to check for ketones?

(Lindsay Schmitt) #3

I am type 1 (insulin dependent) and am on an insulin pump. I have been able to significantly lower my insulin basal rate, and account for protein when I bolus. I currently use ketosticks to account for ketones, which I know there is an actual monitor that you can use to do a blood check, but I’ve not yet bought one of these. I will take your advice on the protein. I thought it seemed a bit high, but wasn’t sure. By the way, I’ve checked with my endocrinologist and she okayed my using this diet to lose weight.

Ah,I see. Well, then protein isn’t going to cause you to secrete excess insulin but it does change the amount you inject. So great that you’ve got your endo on board!

(Lindsay Schmitt) #5

I was thrilled that she gave me the go-ahead. I’ve heard of many endo’s who do not support the ketogenic diet. My blood sugar levels have been better than they’ve ever been, and this WOE has definitely been helpful. Thank you for all of your advice!

(Yery Colombón) #6

My son is t1D and this way of life is so much easier. He was diagnosed at 9 months old he’s now 11 with an a1c of 6.4!!!
You have made the right choice love! Hit me up if you ever need or want to talk.
:heart_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes: