Two Weeks Later, Still Low Ketones. Really long adaptation?

(Karen Fricke) #21

If I go much over 50 grams of protein, my ketones drop way off. A 4 ounce serving of meat is plenty for a meal. I have coconut oil in my tea in the morning, some combination of pickles, olives, avocado, fresh veggies, hard boiled eggs, and/or 2 ounces of cheese for lunch, and meat and veggies for supper. Maybe 1-1 1/2 ounces of nuts for a snack at night. Lots of fat on the veggies.

(Chantay) #22

After reading the comments, that’s the next goal/step. 60g of protein cap in addition to 20g hard cap on carbs. Two weeks and I’ll test again. If levels are still at .2 after that, I’m using the damn meter for archery practice.

(Guardian of the bacon) #23

It’s a complex issue. The SAD with all of it’s highly processed carb laden foods breaks down our hormone signaling system because we were not genetically engineered to handle that Carbage.

Moving to a ketogenic whole foods diet allows that signaling system to begin to repair itself. The repair process is faster for some than others depending on a myriad of factors.

Eating a high volume of dietary fat in the beginning is the vehicle that allows repairs to begin. You need high volumes of dietary fat to provide your body with the energy it needs to repair itself. As you begin to heal and become more fat adapted your SATIETY signaling will begin to work. This is a sign that you are now relying more on burning body fat for energy and you can taper off the dietary fat by only eating to SATIETY.

(Cathy) #24

A bit of intermittent fasting may be useful as well.

As to the reliability of the meter, you could do an inexpensive check with urine strips. If they indicate a presence of ketones, it may answer your question.

I know of no information regarding thyroid function and the effect on ketone production but I do know that a thyroid that is poorly functioning, can and does have a negative impact on weight loss.

(Chantay) #25

I started with the ketosticks, and they’ve never registered even trace for me. I think my thyroid is actually functioning well for the first time in a long time, and it’s being monitored so I’m not too worried about that.

Exactly what I was going to say, WAY too much protein assuming you are average height, I am 5’6 (168 maybe metric) and I try to eat around 60 grams of protein. I do not count but I trying to eat LESS protein than before keto and way more fat. I use opportunties to add fat. I do not eat pork but I eat a lot of avocados (recently discovered these packs of quacamole with 100 calories, 1 carb), sour cream, cheese and HWC and BUTTER! Dairy does not bother me but who knows. Certain nuts, mostly macadamia, pecan and walnuts. Others are too high in carb. DietDoctor has a good low carb list. It is amazing that among nuts, berries and wines there are such big differences. Blackberries are much better than blueberries for example. Cashews are a disaster

Trying to be Keto since Mid April along with some shorter and longer fasts (3-5 days) with just coffee and HWC. It was hard to adjust to eating so much fat. I am not sure I am always in Keto and lost more at the beginning, especially on the longer fasts. I am about to hit a stall point, since I am almost at my lowest weight since 1999! Still have a ways to go but hoping I can get through

(Allie) #27

Yes @CarbSlayer this is very possible as being in ketosis and being keto adapted are very different.

Cashews were the hardest thing for me to finally give up but my glucometer kept insisting they were causing my bg to spike. Still pouting over not getting to have a few in the evening. I even counted them out so as to not overindulge.

(Allie) #29

I can relate to this, they’re so easy to over do… I’ve stopped buying them.

(Doug) #30

I counted them out, too. A whole bag at a time.

(Cathy) #31

I would then suggest that you reduce protein and fill in with fat so you feel satisfied but not full.

Update: my Ketostix are detecting more ketones. I moved up another shade. And I’m having headaches for the first time.

Wandering through the forums has shown me many posts by women, specifically, going through the same experience which helps me find the patience and grit to stay the course. I wish I had captured quotes from the forum member that actually provided a timeline for some women with stubborn metabolism but I believe it boiled down to 2 - 3 months of adaptation. :crossed_fingers:

I did find myself able to lose weight after a 24-hour fast. I listened to the 2KetoDudes podcast with Dr. Jason Fung and perhaps I need to increase the period to 48+ hours.

Here is the guide. I like most nuts (except peanuts and hazelnuts) so I am as happy eating pecans as cashews considering the huge carb difference. Looking at this list made me rethink walnuts

It’s a good chart. I do use pine nuts but in very low quantities and will eat almonds occasionally but I count out only 6. The other nuts I just never developed a taste for. One less food I have to worry about.

My husband keeps buying the darn things and sitting them next to my chair. I then move them to some place out of sight (and hopefully out of mind). I’ve told him they spike my bg, but he just wants so bad to get me a treat. Found the new bottle sitting there tonight when I came home. I have not eaten any in probably 5 months. Do you think I have jars hidden all over my house?

(Doug) #36

@Chantruese - you have admirable consistency, and though the indicated ketone levels may not be as high as you’d like, I sure think you will be rewarded in the end. :sunglasses:

@Saphire, great chart on the nuts, indeed. Wow, cashews at 27% net carbs. Ouch! I won’t forget that. Thank you!

@Irishred,

Ha! That is so endearing. :blush: This is considerable thread drift, but my wife and I, while not outright “enablers” in the worst sense of the word, are wont to suggest consumption, rather then being voices of reason/restraint, when it would well serve the other. I’m newly officially diabetic, her blood sugar is okay, but we both need to lose weight and would/will be happier having done so. We’ve done a good bit of traveling and considerable “high living.” and it’s a substantial part of our relationship. Heck, maybe we are enablers… :neutral_face:

In the end, I think we have a joint challenge, not a bad thing.

What a great resource! Thanks.

@OldDoug I was thinking that when I read the original post.

While my husband and I are eating keto together for the first time, him at almost a month, me at 3.5 months, he has in the past had a tendency to sabatoge my diets in a “well meaning” way. For example, when I was doing more DASH type diets he would buy me chocolate for our anniversary! Then, since I was not THAT strict I would feel bad not eating it! It never ended well. Also, he would want to go out to dinner even though I was not hungry and I would go along. Clearly I had a choice but I did feel some minor pressure to go along. With Keto I do that much less and for some reason for Mother’s Day he did not even THINK of getting me chocolate. He got the message.

I started him on keto not because of me (its much more work because now I cook in the summer which I never do and for me I would be happy eating something cold for dinner), instead I felt like this WOE was working so well it would be a shame for him to miss out. He has not lost much but he is trying

(Karen Fricke) #39

We’ve changed what we consider a treat. Instead of cookies from the bakery, it’s fancy cheese or salami, or some other keto safe food.

Wow! That is an eye opener. Now I can see what I suspected is true. I was too disgusted to investigate before now. When I got tossed out of Keto last week, it was definitely due to the convenience store bag of cashews. It was good sized and add to that about 2 cups of raspberries. No surprise.
Now to find myself some Pecans! The Macadamias are hard to find and have them not be rancid once you get them.
Thanks for posting this information.