Two Weeks Later, Still Low Ketones. Really long adaptation?

(Chantay) #1

Hi! It’s been two weeks since I dropped to 20g TOTAL carbs (one day slightly higher at 24, but several days significantly under, around 12 to 14 grams), and my blood test tonight was still .2, which, obviously, is not what I was hoping for. I’ve been limiting my protein intake, varying between 58 and 85 grams over the last two weeks, with plenty of fat. Anyone else here just have a super long adaptation phase? I’m sticking with it, not quitting. Trying my best to KCKO, just annoyed. :angry:

ETA: I’ve been keto for three months, just restricted carbs further to see if it would help ketone levels. They’re exactly the same after 2 weeks of 20g total carbs, no change in levels.

I’ve been trying to eat keto for almost 2 months. I’ve only lost 7 lbs and that’s not guaranteed because my weight fluctuates daily by 4 - 5 lbs. I’ve lost a few inches and apparently they are noticeable because my coworkers have commented on it. However, I suspect I’m still not adapted because I still experience fatigue and sweet cravings. So yes, I feel your annoyance and I too am trying to KCKO because I did experience some benefits from eating this way.

Today I bought Ketostix just to try and figure out if I’m in ketosis or not. I found myself in the lighter range, couldn’t tell if I was negative or had some trace. I have been eagerly listening to the podcasts and have determined a series of possible solutions. So from now on I plan to try each of these tests one at a time to see if any of them affect my results:

• Adding an electrolyte drink to my daily routine
  • Removing all artificial sweeteners
  • Increasing fat
  • Reducing dairy
  • Increasing vegetables

(Allie) #3

The only reliable way to test is with blood, apparently Ketonix breath meter is good too but i haven’t tried it. @CarbSlayer Ketostix are no use I’m afraid, they will only show you what you’re wasting which, although it will show your body is producing ketones, doesn’t help you to know if they are actually being used for fuel.

There is no set limit on adaptation as it depends on too many factors. Some people only need a month, others need several months. @Chantruese when you say “plenty” of fat, how much is that?

(Karen Fricke) #4

Do you weigh and measure your food, or estimate? Do you log everything you put in your mouth? Artificial sweeteners can be a problem as can dairy for some.

(Cathy) #5

Hi Chantay,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling with the adaption phase. I have a couple of questions and comments.

Number 1, it is always useful if you share a typical day’s menu with exact amounts and types of foods.

Two, if you are using a blood ketone testing meter:
You should be testing blood ketones first thing in the morning in a fasted state.
Testing in the evening is not great because it means that influences such as food, exercise, stress etc. can influence ketones.

There is always the possibility that your blood meter is faulty. I would ask how you feel? Have your hunger signals changed, do you have more energy, has sleep changed? Have you lost lbs. and or inches? How is your mental clarity?

Plenty of people (maybe the majority) do keto without ever testing blood ketones. They eat an appropriate diet and look for the other physical ‘symptoms’.

(Chantay) #6

@CarbSlayer This is my third month, and I’m up 5-6 pounds. I was on a long stretch of carb AND calorie restriction before, so I know I have to let my body take it’s time to heal. I’ve added one of Brenda Zorn’s ketoaids to my daily intake, and I know it’s helpful (for me, less cramping.)

@Shortstuff I’m getting between 100-120 grams, depending on the day and how hungry I’m feeling. I’m willing to wait, but I suppose I expected better readings since I went so drastic on the carb cutting. That’s what I get for expecting things. =)

@kcfricke, @clackley Yes, I weigh and measure everything, and I log all my foods. An example of a days worth of food for me (this is pulled directly from my fitbit food log, on a day when I didn’t IF):

Morning: 60ml of heavy whipping cream and Splenda in my coffee
Lunch: 2 tbsp butter, 5 oz of beef brisket, 4 oz of pork shoulder (no sauces, just butter and lots of salt)
Dinner: Burger patty, lettuce wrap, tomatoes, pickles, yellow mustard.
Snack: 30g peanuts, 1/2 oz of double cream brie cheese

I’ve looked through my log, and in the last two weeks I’ve had two high protein days (110g and 144g), but otherwise I’ve been right around the 80-90g mark or lower (lowest day was 71.2)

I tested this morning when I got up, and it was still .2, so no change between morning and evening readings. I got the meter two weeks ago because I wasn’t seeing some of the “expected” side effects - no decrease in appetite, I’ve gained weight, still sleeping the same. I do feel more focused, but my doctor just changed me from straight T4 thyroid supplementation to T4 with a T3 kicker twice a day, and the increased brain function seems to correlate closely to that change. It’s possible the meter is faulty. If that’s the case, it’s the most consistent broken machine I’ve ever seen, LOL! :smile:

(Guardian of the bacon) #7

Besides excellent advice above. Being in “ketosis” does not guarantee weight loss. Not being in ketosis does not mean you can’t lose weight. This is s lifestyle not a quick loss diet.

Eat the proper foods in the proper amount and when your body heals sufficiently body transformation will occur. This means fat loss…not necessarily weight loss.

(Allie) #8

That’s not actually that much fat to be honest, especially while you’re trying to adapt. I suggest less protein, lots more fat - most women do well with just 50 - 75g protein.

(Chantay) #9

Oh wow, cause it feels like a ton. Mind if I ask what other women are eating? I know everyone is different, but it’s nice to know what successful folks are doing.

(Candice) #10

My fat intake for the first six months was between 150-180g of fat and 50-75g of protein. I tried to give my body time to heal and tried not to worry about the scale too much, difficult to do, but I did lose some weight and considerable inches. I recently cut back on my fat intake so I could increase weight loss.

(Jane Reed) #11

I never tracked fat, but simply eat to satiety.

Finding what successful people do may be interesting but not helpful. Given what’s happening to you, it’s possible you may be one of the outliers on the bell curve and your progress may not be aided by doing what others do. IMO, you should keto on. IMO, few bodies can resist indefinitely the healing effects of eating ketogenically. It also took me 3 months to notice any drop in weight.

(Chantay) #12

Thanks, @buttonwillow. I’m sticking with it because I know it’s better for me. It’s nice to hear that other people had to wait longer – most of what you hear is in the vein of “I dropped 50 pounds in a month!”, which is awesome for the people that have those effects that quickly; I’m super happy for them! But then it’s easy to think you’re doing something wrong if all you hear is really fast results, and you’re moving at a snail’s pace.

(Edith) #13

I don’t know the accuracy of your ketone monitor but if it is always exactly 0.2, maybe it is your monitor?

(Chantay) #14

Maybe? I hadn’t considered that the meter is wrong. I might make my husband test tonight, and see if it also shows .2 for him, cause that would be weird, right?

(Allie) #15

I don’t track anymore, this was from May this year just as an example. To be successful on keto you have to get past the, often deep seated but inaccurate, belief that eating fat will make you fat.

That is something to think about. But @jfricke I don’t get it. I thought the whole point of getting to ketosis was to achieve weight loss. So you’re saying it doesn’t always work?

@Shortstuff it’s funny how right after I went ahead and purchased Ketostix, I found all these testimonials from people about how useless they are. So I could be producing/wasting ketones but my body may not be using them for fuel?

@Chantruese I stopped logging foods after my first month but my typical day looks like this:
Brunch: Coffee with 30 ml coconut oil & 30 ml whipping cream; 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, half an avocado, 1/3 cup of onions/mushrooms/peppers (whatever is in the fridge), a tbsp of hemp hearts and 1/3 cup of cheese
Dinner: 4 cups of salad leaf mix with 1/3 cup of lemon-olive oil dressing and a cup of some other vegetables. If I skipped bacon for brunch I add about 3 - 4 oz of meat/fish cooked in plenty of fat to the dinner.
Snacks: Cucumber with some kind of fatty dip (cream cheese/siracha mayo/sour cream) or almonds
Dessert: 1/2 whipped cream with 50 gm of berries or cocoa+xylitol

(Sonia A.) #17

I agree with @jfricke. Keto is not a magic trick, some people don’t lose much on keto alone. I had to add fasting to keto to see results. IMO, the point of ketosis is not to achieve weight loss. The point for me is to take control over cravings, to restore health, to balance hormones, to achieve mental clarity and get rid of the horrible brain fog I suffered from. You can lose weight with fasting alone, I did. But keto will ensure that you’re not feeling deprived or hungry while losing fat and preserving muscle.

(Guardian of the bacon) #18

That is something to think about. But @jfricke I don’t get it. I thought the whole point of getting to ketosis was to achieve weight loss. So you’re saying it doesn’t always work?

You can still eat too much, especially if you haven’t repaired your SATIETY signaling system yet.

I think I get what you mean: Focus on NSVs and use Keto as a tool rather than as a method to achieve goals.

I think that may be my problem. Could you point me to more resources on this subject?