Two months in - Not losing weight

(Anne Marie) #1

I’m eating according to my macros, logging my food, and I can’t seem to lose weight on Keto. I can’t possibly eat less than I am and frankly, it seems like I eat much less than every Keto menu plan I’ve seen.

And I keep catching colds…not Keto flu, but really head colds. I never get sick normally, but I’ve been sick twice already: once in the middle of my 21 day fast & again about 5 weeks into Keto.

I didn’t mind all of the extra kitchen work when I looked forward to losing weight. But now I’m so sick of being in the kitchen because it’s murder on my feet and back…and I’m not benefiting from all the work.

Ugh. This is so frustrating and depressing.

(Frank) #2

Without more details on your diet and your stats it’s kind of difficult to troubleshoot.

(Brittany Allen) #3

Just last week I made a similar post. I was not losing weight on keto even though I was staying under the my fitness pal “recommended” calories. It turned out to be all my snacking. I would get all my calories from small snacks over the entire day. I stopped snacking and did a little “one meal a day” fast to get my insulin levels down and the scale started to move!

Good luck! Why don’t you share with us a typical day of eating and what you frequently find yourself eating?

(Windmill Tilter) #4

This could be the cause of the problem all by itself. Consider eating to satiety, instead of an arbitrary macro number. It sounds like nonsense but it isn’t really. After a 21 day fast, your metabolism has completely changed. There is no resting metabolic rate calculator in the world that can estimate your RMR with better than 30% accuracy. If a normal woman your height/age/weight has an RMR of 1400kcal/day, yours could have started at 1200kcal/day and now be 1000kcal/day. Or it could have started at 1400kcal/day and now be 1800kcal/day. Without an RMR test, you might as well throw a dart at numbers between 1000 and 1800.

You could get your RMR tested for $100 with an indirect calorimeter, or you could eat to satiety. I think the latter is a better bet, because it really is more precise once your satiety signals have normalized.

This is really interesting! How long ago did you do a 21 day fast. What kind (juice fast, water fast, fat fast,etc)? The metabolic effects of an extended fast like this can be very persistent.

Well, you’re eating better, so you probably are benefiting from the effort. Unfortunately, one of those benefits isn’t losing weight–yet–and I understand this is important and a motivating factor for you to keep going with this new way of eating.

In the meantime, I suggest really simplifying your meals, so you spend less time cooking and it feels like less of a drain. Being keto doesn’t necessarily require masses of time. It doesn’t take long to put a steak under your broiler and microwave some frozen veggies or make a quick salad. Or throw some salt, pepper and herbs on some chicken thighs and roast them with some veggies on high heat. Dinner in 20. Make extra and take it in a container for lunch the next day.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I agree, some details about exactly what you’re eating, how often, etc would help us give advice.

(Khara) #7

Are you starving yourself or eating to satiety?

You’ve been on this way of eating for just two months and have already done a 3 week fast?

So you really haven’t been doing Keto.

Whomever keeps giving new people bad advice to start big fasts like this out of the gate, please cease.

Well that could have been me at one time. Actually we started keto with a two week fast. Got the advice from Dr. Fung’s The Complete Guide to Fasting, as the quickest way to become fat adapted.

But I don’t recommend it now. Not that I don’t think it’s okay, it just turns too many people away, when they think they have to do a two week fast to start keto.

But I believe @Anne-Marie.usa’s was church related, and then researched keto later, or during.

If someone told me to not eat for two weeks right off the bat, I definitely would’ve quit Keto, no questions asked.

Yeah, I hang my head in shame, thinking how many people I probably turned away from keto, in the early days of my diet. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’m now paying my penance as an admin. :slight_smile:

(jessie) #12

This is my first post and probably doing it wrong. I am about to try the keto diet and have been reading alot. oh dear I am absolutely totally confused about alot. First I read above fasting for 3weeks??? seriously. Is that required to start on a keto diet.

Absolutely not. I would highly suggest against doing something like that.

There is but one absolute rule on a keto diet: Keep your carb intake low. Under 50g/day or under 20g/day. This may actually differ from person to person.

If you find restrictions scary, cut sugar and grains first, potatoes, sweet vegetables next, and if you still eat beans, cut them last. Add fat as you need (if you’re hungry/not gettinf satiated). Don’t be afraid of sweeteners if they help you stay away from sugar, but don’t overdo it either. You know you’re on the right track when carrots taste like candy.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #15

That may be your problem, right there. Two things are required for the body to be willing and able to give up its store of excess fat: first, we have to eat so little carbohydrate that our insulin drops low enough to stop telling our fat cells to hoard fat. Second, we need to give our body enough calories to convince it that letting go of excess stored fat is safe (under famine conditions, the body hangs on to all its resources for as long as it can).

As long as your carbohydrate intake is under 20 g/day, you are fulfilling the first condition (many people can actually eat more carbohydrate than that, but this is a good level at which to start, since it pretty much guarantees results, if your metabolism is not too badly damaged). The surest way to meet the second condition is to eat plenty of fat.

Carbohydrate stimulates insulin secretion at a high rate, so it is best avoided (our body doesn’t need it, either). Protein stimulates insulin secretion at about half the rate at which carbohydrate does, but we must have protein in order to be healthy (its effect on insulin is much less on a low-carb diet, too). Fat has a negligible effect on insulin (especially when compared with carbohydrate), so it is the safest source of calories to replace the calories you are no longer getting from carbohydrate.

The easiest and most accurate way to be sure you are getting enough calories for your body to be willing to consume its excess fat is to eat to satiety. Avoid consulting a macro calculator. As long as you are keeping your carbohydrate low, you can safely eat as much protein and fat as it takes to satisfy your hunger. For most people hunger is satisfied long before they reach the point of filling up their bellies (as most of us had to do as sugar-burners), so keto is an all-you-want diet, not an all-you-can-eat diet. With insulin low, your hormones should be controlling your appetite, and eating to satiety will give your body enough food to convince it to use some of that extra stored fat as well as the fat you are eating.

(Anne Marie) #16

Let me clarify this.

I did a 21 day fast with my church in January. It had nothing to do with starting KETO.

During the fast, my husband said that he wanted to start doing KETO after the fast. I had planned to just eat healthier. I researched KETO during the fast and we started doing it right after the fast ended.

I’ve been doing KETO since February 4th.

(Anne Marie) #17

It was a water fast…with the exception of taking Emergen-C for a few days and one night I had chicken broth when I was sick.

(John) #18

NO.

(Anne Marie) #19

I didn’t fast to start KETO.

I fasted with my church and my husband said he wanted to do KETO after the fast. So we rolled from the fast into KETO.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #20

How much weight are you trying to ditch??? get outa the kitchen and go get a bun less BaCONATOR!!!