Two Italian newbies with a question

(Ely) #1

Please, don’t laugh, Italians can (try to) do it too :smile: though keto is the opposite of our food culture. So difficult! We are facing what I wouldn’t call a problem, but sure a curious situation. My husband was 30 kg above the ideal weight (still on his way to loose it all, actually he reduces his daily calories intake by 400), I was 5 kg above, now I’m on my ideal weight (but with some fat deposit here and there, I’d like to get rid of). His plate was always twice, three times mine. He was always hungry, me almost never. After one month of low carb diet, then two weeks in keto (and staying here!), I am the one who sometimes eats more, the one who says “let’s eat, I’m hungry”. Is that normal? Should I be worried? The fact that I was the one with a serious sugar addiction can play a role? I don’t know what to think, hope you have answers :slight_smile:

Salve! Coraggio. Noi italiani possiamo mangiare il cibo keto…dai!!!

Of course it is possible to eat italian food, and stay in keto. Obviously, not the pasta, risotto and bread…but, lots of other great foods and recipes. I added some Italian recipes to this forum.

Yes, it is possible that you want to eat more now. And it may seem weird at first, but your body is making adjustments now. Don’t worry about it. During the transition period, our bodies start getting nutrients from different food sources. After a while, your body will get used to it, and you will fall into another pattern of eating. Don’t panic…for now, just keep your carb low (like not more than 20 gram), keep your protein moderate (about 1 gram protein per kg lean body mass), and eat fat to satiety. This way, you train your body to become fat-adapted. Depending what part of italy you are from or prefer to eat…the fats can be more olive oil-based, or you can otherwise eat more northern italian foods that are more lard and cream and butter-based. And great omega 3 oils source with all the beautiful Italian fish and seafood recipes, too!

(Jessica) #3

First off: Ciao! Great to have you here.

Well… You have less body fat. So your body has less energy it can draw from that body fat as say your husband. For my understanding it’s normal.

How many meals do you have a day? Because this could be the other explanation.

(Ely) #4

Eheheheh, we are a South-North couple, so we have both olive oil and butter (actually ghee), and we live in German Switzerland, so no problem finding bacon and lard :smile: thanks for the tips, I’ll have a look to your recipes, sure they sound less alien than the American keto cookbooks we bought for helping us during the transition

(Ely) #5

Thank Jessica, we didn’t think about this less fat storage… VERY interesting. We have three meals a day and try not to snack in between. If we do, well… when I do, it’s nuts or olives

(Jessica) #6

So, if you find, that you need to snack or can’t go as long without food as your husband, just have more fat with the meals. Also, you could eat whatever you’d be snacking right after the meal.

Hello and welcome!

As you continue with Keto, you may find that your other half starts to eat even less and wants to skip meals. Totally normal and is a sign of fat adaption…however if you don’t have those levels of fat stores to draw on then you’ll get hungrier faster and more often. That’s normal too! :blush: So the traditional 3-meals-a-day approach may change (it certainly has for me), but that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy each other’s company when only one of you is eating. Just have your husband pour himself a drink of water, bullet proof coffee or broth to sip while you have a heavier meal.

By the way…don’t forget to add your pin to our Keto map!