Twelve Days of Carnivore!

(Edith) #21

Wowsie! That’s amazing!

I’ve gotten additional salt out of my regime as a supplement, but I’m still salting my food. I’m considering trying no salt completely next month. I worry that I won’t eat enough. I still have a hard time getting up to two pounds of meat a day. Without salt? :woman_shrugging:

(Daisy) #22

On the first day of carnivore, my belly said to me “all the food in the fridge for me”

Leftover chuck roast
Bone in pork chop
Liver pâté
Bone broth
Sweetbreads rolled in crushed pork rinds and fried in lard
2 fried eggs
Fried bread cheese
Lots of butter (not pictured)

(Elizabeth ) #23

I’m not worried about intake for 30 days I’ve had two to three pounds a day for three years now.

(Vic) #24

And it looks delicious again.

My dinner was a bit more simple :wink:

Yay! You did it waaaay better I dreamed I will. I just wanted to play with the numbers but I am not in the mood for that right now. Maybe I grab my 12 days later.

You eat a ton of egg compared to me now :slight_smile: Suddenly I started to eat around 1 egg a day… And I don’t miss them yet.
My meat intake probably changed nothing but I didn’t track my last days yet (it’s 4 days in one tracking with a very vague guesstimation for fat but I am interested in protein more)… And my appetite was unusually low anyway. I definitely want to try eating a little amount of eggs and dairy and focus on meat to see what happens…

Well, not everyone can use carbs when they can’t stand more meat…
I had some days with only a little smoked pork as meat in November :slight_smile: It is very fine now and then for me :slight_smile: I eat whatever I want (and can) for sure! But longer term I need some proper meat, yep. And eggs and cheese and other dairy. But as I wrote before, I am curious what would happen with mostly meat (I probably would undereat and dislike meat in a few days but I can’t surely know)… I will try it later, not now, I have things to eat and I don’t even like to look at meat photos right now… Or cheese… I always can eat them when hungry but my enthusiasm definitely went down. (Or still a bit chewy pig shoulders aren’t as good as my current favorite, well roasted pork chuck, why knows? I have a ton of the previous one so my chuck must wait until next year. I defrosted 1340g - almost exactly 3 pounds - on Friday and I still have so much of it… Oti always gives me chicken legs when I come home. And there were 4 nice portions of aspic… Little meat in soup… It was probably the meatiest part of my month but I don’t know yet.)

I decided we will eat salmon… Mostly Alvaro will, he wants that since some time, I am just fine with pork chuck, thank you. And turkey drumstick on the side. But now the whole little family comes here, probably… Oh my. My house is a chaos, I can’t help it. And I can’t cook for normal people. Well maybe I can, I cook for Alvaro too… Everyone is fine with meat so it isn’t that hard. Meat, rice, maybe potatoes… I won’t play with salads, I hated almost all salads and green leaves as a vegetarian! I can open a pickle jar :slight_smile:
Cakes aren’t a problem, I still like baking. I just don’t like to eat cakes since a long time. They all eat cakes anyway, at least I make low-carb ones. Though Oti surely will bring her own. I can imagine she brings everything, actually…
We will see. Alvaro gets better rapidly anyway. By the way, poor one dislikes the lack of eating (well… while no one was looking, he ate the super tiny summer apple I sent him to look at because he so missed his apples and anyway, it’s so special in winter) and wants to come home badly.

Wow, you are super brave then!
I wouldn’t even do it for a day… No salt, no enjoyment. I would end up eating no meat at all…! And I wouldn’t be happy.

I do it naturally, I use as much salt as I fancy. I never supplemented it but I like it in my food. Not overly much and eggs are fine without any but meat… I still miss it if I use too little (never zero, that wouldn’t end well).
I am looking forward to see what will happen in my life but I am very interested about your future experiences too!

I seriously dropped the amount of those super salty smoked pork things. Zero in the last days, I had better options. So I actually lowered my salt intake. I can imagine my need will go down, I noticed such tendencies before.

(Edith) #27

Whenever I cooked a meal for the family that didn’t turn out very well, I would say,”Remember, food is to nourish your body. It’s not to be enjoyed.”

But, I have to say, salt really makes a difference between yum and blah. I definitely don’t enjoy it as much without salt. I almost have to force myself to eat if it’s unsalted.

January is a long way off.

Food has multiple roles. Being the most enjoyable I can imagine under the circumstances is a pretty important one to me quite often. (Even I have times when I just want to get food into me and I don’t care if it’s just moderately tasty. I still can’t eat too bland/boring food.)

But keeping me strong and healthy is even more important, I never would say otherwise. But I can get everything if it’s about my food :slight_smile: Health, taste, freedom, variety…

It’s not yum vs blah to me. Unsalted (or even just really not enough salty) food is horrible to me. Inedible. I rather fast. Or eat unsalted, delicious eggs :slight_smile:

(If I actually tried to eat unsalted meat, this probably would change. I am very much against the idea at this point. But I am curious so it would be very helpful to read about someone else’s experiences where I don’t need to suffer - though the results aren’t that reliable regarding my own case… Whatever, I am curious about other people too. We know many people stops salting their meat. But what happens if someone does it while they dislike that, at least in the beginning? We obviously can get used to this but I have no idea how quickly.)

not sure what you mean by this cause being zero carb I sure am not talking about eating plant carbs LOL What I meant was eating inferior animal kingdom protein usually doesn’t work for most longer term, which is why most carnivores do rely on heavy hitters like the steaks, chops, and more. It isn’t about standing more meat, it is about the protein density of the meat us carnivores do eat is what I was trying to convey. Eggs bacon and cheese might be a replacement when one is kinda sick of a steak but in the end, relying on these will backfire for almost all carnivores long term. We just require more than this is all. Not all but most.

(Daisy) #30

Yummmmm

Yeah, it’s very obvious for everyone what you find ideal.
I meant that when I can’t stand meat at the moment, I obviously must choose between much dairy and eggs or adding plants (or fasting but that’s rarely an option for longer than a day for me), what else? (Force-feeding meat? Not for me.) On carnivore, only the first is an option so I wouldn’t say it’s bad, it may be just for a day or two.
Your idea of zc is simply not possible for all of us all the time. I already take a break as I had enough of meat and cheese and I don’t have many eggs. And I have circumstances and things to eat (okay, I can deal with that, I don’t eat anything I don’t want) and I must make experiments. It will be short-lived, I like carnivore-ish food better - when I can imagine to swallow it. I need eggs. I didn’t realize it before as I was fine with meat and a little cheese until I wasn’t… It was interesting to see I am fine without eggs for this many days though :smiley: I just shouldn’t overdo this.
Maybe it will change later but until now I had to depend on all my food groups (egg, meat, dairy. my fat is mostly in the previous ones) and it will be the case for a while more. I can skip one sometimes, even two but not for long as I start to develop an aversion towards the remaining ones. And dairy never can be much.
I simply can’t eat too much processed meat so I don’t care about that.

It is not what I find ideal at all S. It isn’t a personal thought on how zc should be in my eyes only LOL

It is the plan. How the plan works for most people. Not all but in the end most people are truly the same coming into carnivore and aren’t so medically wrecked and we find that on zc forums that all of us are truly eating the same way, when we eat less or have aversions to meat etc. we get tired, get cranky, get hangry and usually fail the plan. The plan doesn’t fail us, we fail the plan cause we are not eating it as it should be. So what I type is not my ‘personal guesses and thoughts’ on this plan, it is the plan and thru thousands of souls who do this plan also for many years into it who have common knowledge of what it is to be a carnivore.

My response to FB was that his menu for the day seemed very light and when zc people see lighter fare being eaten we know it can lead to true troubles on this plan, hence my comment. it wasn’t about him having an aversion to his food choices, they are limited thru time constraints he is dealing with and I know that trouble, cause when I also get very busy our food focus lessens and when new people start zero carb, our food choices and eating well is very important for success of this plan.

Again it is not my idea of what zero carb should be. It is what the plan is and for those of us staying on the plan and doing it correctly as this thread is ALL about, yes the info posted will be all encompassing what it takes to stay on this plan. Yes some can’t do it or don’t wanna, but why keep questioning the zero carb information for those of us who are on this plan and want to be here? Makes no sense to me. I get you are not zero carb, or are carnivore on any day you want, but others here ARE ZC and are gonna stay that way. This info posted is about people on plan, doing the plan, needing info on the plan and why this plan needs certain options that makes it easier for newer people and the older veterans doing this plan just pass along the info. This isn’t a free for all thread, this is a carnivore eating thread truly and that is the info. that will be chatted here so that is the info I will be posting and that is thru years of others experiences and more, it isn’t ‘my agenda’ which I think you are mistaken I am just typing out on a personal whim :slight_smile: Just posting info that helps one stay on and conquer the zc plan if that is the way they wish to live this lifestyle.

Eats today…
2 pieces of colby cheese
1 pound of ground beef, salted
about 1/4 pound of turkey sausage mixed with a scrambled egg
worked a mid shift that went pretty late. Didn’t get home until 9. Just had some hot chicken stock with a bit of melted cheese and shredded turkey in it for “dinner”.
Not hungry. No cravings. Energy is through the roof.

Gotta work a mid shift tomorrow, have Thursday off. then work Fri, Sat and Sun. Thursday, I have orders to take care of here for my “other” business. Finally worked out some SF choices for my customers. Goodness, that took some work! But, I’m not eating it. That’s what I got taste-testers for. =)

So… going to try and incubate some turkey and chicken eggs in the coming days, and see if we can’t hatch some of the buggers! Plenty to do, even though the snow has begun here. When I work up my courage again, I’ll strap on them skis and see where we go!

Have a blessed rest of the week, all. SB

(Ellenor Bjornsdottir) #34

Est-ce que vous êtes français ?

(Vic) #35

Non, je suis Flamand, Belge.
je dois faire plus attention à l’orthographe. Sorry :relaxed:

You sure are busy! You sound so much like me, I worked a real job 7:30 to 3 and then came home and worked the farm like crazy and then I had my ‘side farm biz’ that I had booming also, I would work to midnight many days when I was going full speed just like you! It is wild reading about your day, reminds me of so many of mine LOL

oh, skiing, love it. I take it you will cross country? I did alot of that up in NH when we had a house on the lake and just go out the back door and had so much ski area. Loved it.

----------good carnivore morning…a super cold one here. Brrrrr

food yesterday was

some taylor ham slices
1 cheeseburger patty
3 very large country style pork spare ribs

I hit water yesterday like crazy. I usually drink so much in a day but of course with this colder weather I am slowing down on drinking but yesterday I made up for it :sunny: I do have to watch water intake during this winter time and make sure I do drink enough. I function best on alot of water in my day.

Other than that I am just gonna cruise thru the Dec holiday time with ease I hope :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Just chill thru, enjoy the holiday spirit and just get thru the month and hit up January and think about a few new little goals going into the new year.

It’s still your opinion too… And we know what you think. I only wrote that, or wanted to. I didn’t meat it’s ONLY your opinion or you are wrong, of course not. After all this time I would think you know I don’t try to say much about zc as you are the pro. I just like to balance things out with differences between people as I love to focus on that.

And a single day is nothing. One may think one eats that way all the time and may comment helpfully, I just say such days are inevitable for some of us.
I had 1000 kcal days on carnivore. Meatless days too (maybe two? :smiley: that’s a bit extreme even for me). I NEVER force-feed myself and my needs and desires wary so I have these. Nothing wrong with that. Some people often fast, that is very okay as well - as long as it suits them. I never skip a day because my body doesn’t work that way (exceptions are rare).

It doesn’t even matter what I do, it has nothing to do with what I wanted to say.
You focus on general things, I automatically think about the exceptional cases. And a single day says little about someone’s woe in general. Even so, it’s fine to warn someone, I just added that such days aren’t necessarily bad. If I force-feed myself with meat, I surely will fail. We should do what we can and decide what is right for us. It is not the same for everyone as we are all different, with very different personalities, circumstances and so on. Even on the very same woe, it’s inevitable we have differences. Okay, strict carnivores have less options, they eat more similarly to each other I imagine but people who eat eggs and dairy too, they can depend on them a bit more sometimes if it’s their best option.
I don’t even think anything here imagines eating almost no meat is the way longer term, it sounds very silly to me… :slight_smile: So if someone eats very little meat for a day, I think oh well, it’s such a day for reasons.

So. You gave the info, find, I have no problem with that. But I added (or at least this was the plan) that such a day isn’t necessarily a bad decision. It may be an optional problem, warning is fine - but it may be the absolutely best someone can do on any day. That’s why I wrote about carbs: more dairy and eggs or more carbs? Sometimes, for some of us THIS are the options so don’t blame us is we choose the first and not the impossible, no option “more meat”. Yep, surely longer term carnivores always have that option but some beginners or extreme situations are different.

News! Alvaro is walking and got solid food after more than 5 days! And a very nice one for a Hungarian hospital, some soup and a whole chicken thigh and chicken drumstick (never saw that much meat in a Hungarian hospital lunch. this kind of meat is dirt cheap but still). I don’t expect nearly that great things from the dinner and breakfast but at least the lunch were good. He was very pleased with it.

It’s only 2pm so I didn’t eat yet. I have roasted chicken and pork, significantly more than Alvaro but it’s probably for the week with a little cheese and some eggs.
I stopped tracking, it was the plan anyway and I definitely don’t care since the accident but I will some protein tracking in bulk :slight_smile: I have big amounts of roasted meat at once so I track that and the other protein sources and see how many days it lasts. I would eat well either way but I am still curious (as I want to try what happens if I focus mostly on meat) and I can’t stop tracking anyway, I tried before and couldn’t, it’s almost automatic after years. I need to stop gradually.

I feel I have learned a great deal here in a very short period of time. There are people here that have gone a long time on keto and carnivore and IF and EF. It is a wonderful resource I wish I had found it sooner it has made things so much easier to understand.

Keto is less than 20 carbs per day.

Carnivore is meat and water. Lots of each. The first fully carnivore day is going to be light, but after one adapts, eating to satiety is going to mean a pound of meat :cut_of_meat: at least.

Fasting is a period of not eating. If one is fat-adapted it is relatively easy and if one is not it is relatively hard.

Eat meat. Drink water.

What could be more simple?

(Karen) #40

So yesterday I took 4 sausages in my pack up and left the last sausage in the fridge for today as a snack. I also took cooked chicken and a knob of butter to microwave for lunch at work. The sausages were nice and tasty but made me feel very uncomfortable so I won’t be having them again in a hurry.

I slept really poorly on monday night prior to my silly o’clock get up for work and ended up doing so much running around back and forth to the wings as I was on video link all day. Must have done a good 25,000 steps plus and a further 40 floors over and above my 100 morning stair runs before work. My tootsie were very painful at the end of the day having had to wear our heavy issue shoes and I was so so tired.

When I got home I ate some of the slow cooked rabbit but cant say it was as good as how my gran used to make it. I switched the heating on for the first time since the warm weather in february! It wasn’t overly hot and some radiators didn’t seem to be working fully which i thought i would bleed today but didnt have to because this morning ithey were working fine. Again not overly hot and i had to touch them just to see if they were on. However I woke up really heady and stuffy and really not feeling tip top. Cancelled my crossfit class which was a shame as it was first one after this lock down but it definitely was the right thing to do. I was struggling with the stair runs this morning and was a bit out of puff and dripping with sweat. I had to turn off the heating half way through them!

Staying at home instead of going to the crossfit was a good call as I managed to do so much. I carved the big chicken I had roasted the other day and got the carcass on the hob to make stock and did the same to the remaining rabbit and added that and the stock it was cooked in to the chicken carcass. I have had a cup of that mix of rabbit and chicken stock and it was delicious. I also portioned a side of salmon that I picked up from Lidl. That was a super bargain less than a tenner and I got 12 portions from it which worked out about 90p a portion!

Also made up a pain-reducing essential oil blend for my daughter and cleaned the kitchen windows! I feel a lot better now than first thing and having done so much this morning haven’t felt the slightest bit guilty sitting in front of the TV and catching up with my fav forum.