Trying to work out my carb/fat/protein levels for weight maintenence

(Samantha Moscone) #1

Hi all,
This is my first post, relatively new to the keto diet. I was not really overweight when I started it as I am doing it to support my husband loosing weight but after doing the initial research was please to try it due to the possible significant physical and mental health benefits.I have heart and circulation history in my immediate family.

I am struggling to work out if I am eating the right balance for maintaining my weight and energy levels. I don’t think I am as I’m not always feeling great, tired, headaches etc…
I’m female, 5ft10 and 138lbs. BMI approx 23. We have been using urine strips to check ketones which have been good and also checking blood glucose and ketones which are also good so I’m definitely in keto just not hitting my good feelings yet! I am very active as have young family and clean for a living.

Any help would be fab… thanks Mamf

(Allie) #2

Just keep carbs below 20g and don’t worry about the rest. Easy.

It takes some time to get used to the diet. Your stamina might be limited until you’re fat adapted (may take 6 weeks). Don’t cut calories when starting out. I would make sure you’re getting adequate liquids and electrolytes.

The symptoms you described may be due to not being keto adapted, or it may be due to not consuming enough food. Food is literally energy.

For various reasons, several members of my family are trying to maintain a state of ketosis. None of us are overweight.

Maintaining a continuous state of ketosis promotes weight loss, which for those that don’t need it, can result in feeling lethargic, weak, and otherwise subpar. It’s important to eat a sufficient number of calories to meet your body’s energy demands. Since ketosis can blunt appetite, this can be challenging.

If you’re metabolically heathy, snack between meals. Eat calorie dense foods like nuts and seeds. Drinking high fat smoothies is a great way to add a few hundred calories. My dad loves coffee smoothies, created by blenderizing a few ice cubes of coffee and a can of coconut creme.

There are a few YouTube vloggers who dedicated LCers while still trying to gain weight (build muscle). Some of their videos have suggestions about energy balance that might be helpful to you.

(Samantha Moscone) #5

Thank you 4dml this is what I’ve been working on this week. I’ve gone back to basics using my app and tracking everything.
I was coming to the conclusion that I probably wasn’t eating enough even though I’m not hungry.
I’m trying to make sure when I’m hungry I eat quite a high fat/calorie meal or snack.
Fingers crossed. I will look at the videos later.
Thanks Mamf x