Trying something new, start times

(Crippie) #1

I have always started a fast right after dinner, to go into bed and then wake up and am already 12 hours into the fast make it easy peasy. BUT is the first 12 hours really all that hard anyway? It seems to be the 18-24 hour mark that is the tough stretch, I have heard this on podcasts and have found it to be true for myself too.

SO for this fast I am trying something new. I woke up and ate a big breakfast, and then started my fast. SO now when I go to bed tonight it’ll be about 15 hours into my fast which should put the 18-24 hour mark during sleepy time. And I normally skip breakfast, so my ghrelin response for the morning shouldn’t be too bad, and maybe a little boost in blood sugar from dawn effect will help to coast into the 30 hour mark with no problem.

Hoping to stretch this fast out to 96 hours. Break it with breakfast on Saturday morning.

(Stephanie Sablich) #2

I’m curious about this! Will you post about how it goes? I start my fast in the evening as well, but I’m wondering about this technique!

(Crippie) #3

For sure! I will keep this post updated this week as I see how it differs from my normal fasts.

(VLC.MD) #4

Cool idea

(Nicole Sawchuk) #5

I tried this last month. Sadly it didn’t work for me. Eating in the morning seems to stoke my hunger for the whole day and the fast just dragged out longer. But that does not make sense to me. I would think eating breakfast would be best at fueling for the day.

Point being - I think it was more of a psychological issue than actual hunger issue. Good luck!

(Crippie) #6

Update. About 9 hours in and it’s been a rough day. I think it might be more attributed to my relaxed style of eating this last month. Have been eating regular scheduled meals so my Ghrelin response is strong. And I may have extra hidden carbs which is killing me with cravings.

I’m tempted to abandon this fast and just go into an IF routine and ease myself back in. Not sure :-/ just not in it mentally yet. Not sure if it’s the different start time or the things I mentioned above

(Stephanie Sablich) #7

I’m sorry that you’ve had a rough day. This is all about experimenting and figuring out what works best, right? I would imagine there are a TON of potential reasons why you might be struggling today. Stress, getting sick, different schedule, hormones are being weird today, etc etc. I keep saying this on this forum but please… be kind to yourself :slight_smile:

I imagine that it would be difficult to go from a typical eating pattern to an EF. That makes a lot of sense to me. Thanks for sharing and being vulnerable- it’s so appreciated.

(Tim W) #8

I was thinking about this yesterday, how long did you try the change in diet?

I’ve noticed that our bodies don’t react as quickly as we think they will (in my experience anyway).

For example, I’ve had a bowel movement on day 5-6 of a fast, how does that happen? It’s obviously “residual” matter from the intestines being passed out/broken down proteins etc.

When I started with IF, it took me weeks to get to the point of feeling ok and pushing the boundaries.

Hell, daylight savings time was two weeks ago and I’m STILL waking up an hour early.

My point: when changing protocols like you mentioned, might be best to give it 15-30 days to see the “real” changes in our bodies.

Cheers!

Tim