Try This in Your Almond Flour Biscuits

(Central Florida Bob ) #1

Somewhere around here, I learned a simple recipe for almond flour biscuits - about the size of a good English muffin but with a different texture and much lower carbs. I end up having one or two per week as a hot lunch sandwich with some meat or cheese of all kinds on the two halves. They’re not zero carb, but I tolerate them well.

This recipe (or one similar to it) is everywhere.

1 TBSP of butter
1 egg
1/4 cup almond flour (I use Wellbee’s "super fine, blanched) if that means anything
1/4 tsp baking powder

I do this in a microwave oven.

Melt the butter. (I cut the tablespoon of butter into about four slices spread apart in a cooking dish. Takes about 25 seconds.) Once melted, add the almond flour, the baking powder and egg.

And here’s the new trick. Add in 1 teaspoon of whipped cream cheese. I’ve used two or three different brands and they all come out about the same, but the stuff that’s softer is easier to work with. I don’t use a level teaspoon, I just spoon some out of the container with a teaspoon. I gather the amount isn’t really critical.

Blend till smooth and uniform in color, meaning the cream cheese isn’t lumpy and it’s all pretty much one color. I do this with a table fork.

Microwave on high 90 seconds.

This makes an enormous difference in the texture of the final biscuit or muffin or whatever you call these. They seem to be fluffier and stay moist better. I think that the protein in the cream cheese is acting like the protein in wheat flour and making the texture more like a “real” bread.

(Note: I really resisted saying, “This One Weird Trick Makes Your Snack Better!” but I was afraid someone would take me seriously rather than a three sigma (that is, far from normal) sense of humor.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

You can make cheese from whipped cream? Well, what do you know? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Bob M) #3

Whipped cream cheese? I had no idea there was such a thing.

(Bob M) #4

I wonder if it might also be the CAROB BEAN GUM, XANTHAN GUM they add to the whipped cream cheese? Or at least the one I saw online had these added. Not sure how much, though.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Well, there’s actually nothing to stop anyone from taking some cream cheese and whipping it, except that cleaning up the beaters is so difficult and tedious, lol! :grin:

(Central Florida Bob ) #6

Just remember, good parents let the kids lick the beaters.

Great parents turn the mixer off first.

(Central Florida Bob ) #7

I’ve used other cheeses and didn’t have as good results. They didn’t blend in well with the batter. When I’d put in some shredded mozzarella or cheddar, the shreds stayed intact. That argues it’s either the processing that whips it up, something about processing a soft cheese vs. a harder cheese, or those additives.

I never thought to weigh my portion, but I could. Considering the container is 8 oz. and the visible change I see when use it, maybe I’m having a quarter ounce? I can’t imagine there’s much of those things.

(Bob M) #8

Sounds reasonable.