Tried EVERYTHING... indefinite STALL

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #1

I am 60, didn’t lose the first 8 weeks so I added bulletproof coffee and intermittent fasting and dropped 11 lbs in two weeks but stopped…so i took off eggs which gave me gut issues all of a sudden, and taking probiotics and enzymes as serious gut issues escalated. I can’t get in all my protein (2 meals) and food has become repulsive to me (after a lifetime of overeating!) So my calories are only about average 800. I tried some carb feed days and that worked for a minute, losing 1 more pound but I’ve been STALLED for 2 MONTHS and not sure what to do. I ramped up frequency of excercize…cut our cream and cheeses that caused bloating, dint di baked goods (don’t feel good on them) and not sure if I should just consider this a lifestyle and that EVENTUALLY I will lose these extra 50lbs gradually or what else I can do.
I’ve had a spinal fusion…and then the rod removed, so I know I don’t operate like many. I have peace and joy and my cortisol seems evened out. Sleep is hard…a little jittery and am taking some homeopathic stuff my naturopathic suggested.
Ideas PLEASE.

(Ethan) #2

Have you tried a longer fast?

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #3

yeah, from listening to the “EAT STOP EAT” guy…so i just did 24 hour fasts, 2 per week and this is coming off my second in the second week…no change still. CLOTHES FIT LOOSER and i LOOK like i’m thinner…not sure if i’m just gonna be one of those hard cases (I dieted for many years, did RAW and other health diets while raising a daughter with 9 diseases) and had stayed within 5 pounds for the past 20 years, even though i drink nothing but water, not much dairy till this keto diet, no milk…processed foods…UNBELIEVABLE!

(Ernest) #4

If clothes fit looser then you are doing something right.
What you are doing wrong is obsessing with the scale numbers.
You look thinner, BRAVO!

(Jacob Wagner) #5

If your clothes fit looser and you look thinner then you are thinner.

If you are thinner and the same weight then you are denser. That means you have less fat and more lean mass.

So, think of it as loosing weight and bodybuilding at the saem time :).

Keep calm and Keto on.

–Jacob

(Ethan) #6

Looking thinner and weighing less is still just fine! However, when I asked about a longer fast, I meant more than 24 hours…like 48 or 72+ hours.

Then whatever you’re doing is working. You’re losing body fat, and gaining lean muscle and bone density. KCKO.

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #8

That’s a huge amount of fasting when you may have adrenal issues or cortisol …stress…i’m Coming off of a season of not sleeping with a constant jittery-ness that i could not explain…not sure if it’s a senior-thing to only sleep a few hours. EAT STOP EAT talks about 24 hour fasts, twice a week and mid-day so that each day you’re eating something, like from 5-5…12-12, etc.
i did a couple small fasts a little longer…but nothing moved. I’m gonna just relax I think, up my exercise, up salads and try to up protein, quite bulletproof coffee…and be in this for a lifestyle. Sound right?

@Lisa_Vento_Hainline
Agree with you that with adrenal or cortisol issues, longer fasts might not be right for you now, but did you register all the comments about how you have in fact broken your stall?
Looking thinner and loose clothes = losing fat. If you’re also staying around the same weight, it actually means losing fat and gaining some muscle, which is something that people try really hard for; it’s the ideal outcome. I just posted a photo on another thread of a woman who lost a grand total of one pound but also 6 sizes. She’s almost unrecognizeable. One pound.

You’re doing great! Go ahead and make your tweaks but I would also be enjoying your success.

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #10

Wow!
No, i’m Not that active. I do some resistance / breathing (carbon dioxide carries out fat cells) with Oxycise…but not that active with a fused spine.
I broke the first stall (did not lose for first 8 weeks) when i incorporated intermittent fasting, reducing dairy and eggs, and doing bulletproof coffee…but then i entered into a stall after 2 weeks, that has lasted 8 more weeks now.
Gut issues started and i’m Taking probiotics and enzymes, thinking inflammation is an issue. Getting all my protein in is hard but i’m Going to go off bulletproof coffee and back to something for breakfast but greasy foods don’t do well with my gut also.
I’m also thinking more coconut oil and less butter?

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #11

Message i responded below

People improve their body composition on keto even with minimal (or even no!) movement. Breathing exercises sound great and in any case, if your clothes are loose and the scale isn’t moving, you’re losing fat and gaining muscle. (Does anyone else have a different explanation?)

(Mel Soule) #13

LIsa good news on he loose fitting clothes. In fact I found the tape measure is my true friend. Waist, thighs and arms changes speak more truth than the scale. I’ve found during a 6 week plateau waist,thigh and arms were still declining with scale stalled. IMHO tape is smarter than scale.

How long was your fasting time each day during IF. What time of day did it start?

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #14

that’s encouraging. first time i did the oxycise for 15 minutes a day, i lost 8" in one week, so maybe i should start measuring again.

i did intermittent fasting from 8pm to noon, for a month, then did 2/24hour days a week for the past 2 weeks. I’ll keep plugging along and just seek health, exercise and consider it coming eventually. thanks much!

wow!!! that’s amazing! Yes, start measuring again.
If you want another exercise suggestion (started by a woman who has several fused vertebra) let me know.

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #16

sure, every little bit helps. I JUST saw a pic of a woman who went from a size 22 to a 6 or 8 without losing more than 2 lbs! SO i have to get my mind in “body-builder mode” of transforming the body, losing fat in the meantime and shifting to health.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

So you get why we tell you not to worry about the scale, but rather to concentrate on your other measurements!

(Lisa Vento Hainline) #18

I still need help with macros because I’m getting conflicting advice and someone said mine are for therapedic ketosis vs Nutritional ketosis

I’m 60, 5’2 and starting mild excercize 3-4x a week. I’ve switched my macros a few times and am at
70% FAT
5% CARBS
25%. PROTEIN

(Allan L) #19

This calculator will give you your macro’s.

I was thinking of TTapp. She’s got a bunch of workouts and one of her most beloved is called MORE. It’s generally recommended for folks who are injured, haven’t exercised in a while or have limited mobility for whatever reason. The muscle activation is terrific (many veteran TTappers go back to it as a kind of workshop on foundational moves) and if I remember correctly much of it is either seated or can be modified to do seated. In any case if you call the office number, the folks are really helpful.