Too much fat in one go?

(Sandra) #1

Has anyone experienced stomach issues and feeling queasy after eating too much fat in one meal?

I made a coconut cream, chia seed, shredded coconut and berry pudding as a snack. around 200ml (half a can) of coconut cream which I didn’t realise how high in fat it was (70g according to carb manager) plus the other things added.
After I ate it my stomach was feeling very uncomfortable and gasy. I felt ok while eating it as I ate it as breakfast at 10.30am and wasn’t full or anything.

Could this be because of too much fat for the stomach to digest all at once?

It may have been that if you’re not used to so much - 70 grams is a fair whack. Chia seeds can also be problematic for some.

Yeah I’d say the chia seeds might contribute as well. Chia seeds soak liquid and expand. If you don’t allow them to absorb the liquid before eating they’ll expand in your stomach and make things pretty uncomfortable.

(Sandra) #4

I did make the pudding last night so the chia seeds have been in the coconut cream over night. But probably still too much for my gut to handle!

My first thought is that discomfort or gassiness is more likely to be due to the chia seeds or some other element of the coconut, rather than the amount of fat per se. Many find that too much fat makes them feel a bit queasy/nauseated, but doesn’t necessarily cause gas or stomach pain. YMMV.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #6

YES!! Today I’m suffering, I believe, from a fat overdose. Instead of feeling satiated, I feel like I could be rolled out of my office like a ball. If you’re not used to a lot of fat in a sitting, you can totally feel like crap. I know I do. I have to find a sweet spot for fat I’m realizing. Going to experiment with less fat tomorrow. I think my body feels better when I do this.

yes, definitely possible. Happens to me if I over-do fat.

(Jill Cherni) #8

Glad to read this thread, I had to do a search on queasy stomach since starting keto again, happens alot to me. I think it’s the reason I can’t eat as much as I’m supposed to. It takes a good while to settle it down again, then by the end of the day I haven’t had enough food. Happened this morning, 2 eggs with 6 bacon, usually only have 4 but what am I going to do with the 2 leftover so I cooked them. Did drain off some of the fat, it was alot! Still… Couldn’t even eat both eggs and of course not all the bacon. Felt a bit nauseous before I even got done eating. Not sure how long it will take to get used to increased fat. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Queasiness can result from a number of things. I find that when I’ve had enough to eat, thinking of eating more can make me a bit queasy.

Dr. Phinney says that many people find that too much vegetable oil can make them queasy, the high percentage of polyunsaturated fats being the culprit. He advises cooking with butter, lard, tallow, and bacon grease, which are almost entirely saturated and monounsaturated fats that won’t provoke queasiness.

Sometimes coconut products are not the best choice. If you have ever followed the Blood Type Diet and if you are Blood Type O, Coconut is an avoid. Just a bit of info, if you’re open to it.

I was very used to tons of fat but when I tried out carnivore, I was nauseous just because fat was a big part of my food, I didn’t have the usual vegetables and other things with their significant volume to “soak up” the (less than usual amount of) fat. My fat percentage dropped a bit as I couldn’t stand a higher one back then. So it’s not only the fat in grams, it matters what we eat it with, not surprising.
Only egg and bacon, that’s fatty!
I changed quickly, only some days were like this (but I never used a very big fat percentage anyway, just trying it out later when I felt ready).

But I still would have problem with 2 eggs with 6 slices of bacon. Salt-cured fatty meat? I need lots of eggs with it, it’s super satiating and super easily turns me off if I don’t have a lot of other, more neutral stuff with it. Of course, other people have other experiences…

If it’s just the amount of fat, I have no problem, I always ate very high-fat and easily overate fat on any woe except carnivore(-ish) if I choose very fatty, not particularly satiating but tempting, tasty food items. Bacon and eggs as a combo is super far from that and if the bacon is too much (compared to the egg, I mean but if I get too full, that works too), it turns me off, make me nauseous and triggers my sodium aversion for a while…

We don’t need to eat super fatty on keto if we don’t even have some huge energy need, fortunately. As long as we can handle the protein, some people can’t avoid a big fat percentage even with a smaller need.

(Jill Cherni) #12

I’ll have to come up with ideas of what to have with / instead of the eggs and bacon… (At least for breakfast) I’ve added onion and bell pepper and really enjoyed that but have to watch the carbs of course. I have to confess I don’t really enjoy eating unless it’s something from our no no list (sandwiches were my thing, tons of veggies and a bit of lunch meat mmmm). So I just try to get something down and get on with my day. I’m going to try to have less fat and see how I feel, this nausea is getting old. I am thankful I did manage to lose a few lbs in the midst. Ugh, salt aversion! Is that what’s it’s called!? After a few days of bacon and eggs I’ll upchuck if I see a salt container. Need to mix things up a bit, this is not sustainable for me at this point. I got a few recipes from keto clarity book, I’ll see how I do with them. Not much of a cook, but I can throw things together. Thanks again Shinita.

(Bob M) #13

Also, breakfast doesn’t have to be breakfast. You can eat anything for breakfast. Heck, in Germany, they eat sliced meats and cheeses.

Is it the type of fat or fat itself? If you eat a fatty ribeye do you have the same issue? Avocado?

(Jill Cherni) #14

Hey Bob, I don’t have a bit of problem with a ribeye or avocados. Maybe it’s too much bacon and eggs lol. I’ll work on finding new things, I get a bit overwhelmed at the store, just need an overhaul on possible keto choices.

Bell pepper actually would help me but only if it’s raw… Onions are tasty but they don’t help this fatty problem. I was very used to raw veggies on keto, I ate everything with them (except sweets), including most veggie dishes :smiley: Then came my carnivore trials and it was unusual first. I like using mustard instead of vegetables now if I feel the need for something to balance out the fattiness if it makes sense, it makes perfect sense to me, I love sour anyway… But I am usually fine as long as I have enough eggs. And I can eat fatty meat alone but only if it’s nice and solid, not fried, liquid fat coming out… That makes me feel the food is way fattier while it’s the same, I use that liquid fat to fry my eggs and everything is good.
A little amount of raw veggies have very little carbs (I still use a tiny bit of cucumber sometimes, pickled or raw) and they helped me with fatty food. Even fried veggies changed the perceived fettiness (as it was less fatty for the same volume) but not nearly as well as raw ones especially per carb. And raw vegetables are awesome, bell peppers are crunchy!
I don’t have breakfast, my egg and cured meat is a perfect lunch, dinner or if it must, night time meal now… But there are zillion keto foods and the hour doesn’t matter. Circumstances matter, we can’t eat just anything at the office or at a dirty workplace, standing… I never understood this “breakfast food” thing. But I eat eggs for every meal anyway. There is a huge variety of egg dishes.

Oh, another one who had this with salt! :smiley: I only read about people eating big amounts of salt or suffering with the normal amount… My salt intake is the same on every diet but it goes up if I focus on smoked pork more… And then problems arise, I feel some strange burn and I feel it’s the unusually high salt intake, I feel a clear aversion to salt, stop adding salt to food (except if the food totally requires it and it has almost none as I don’t use any salty item like salted pork or cheese), I use more and more eggs for a little piece of salted meat then I stop eating salted meat but still don’t use the usual amount of salt. Eggs are so perfect as they are, after all… When I had this, I tried to eat a tiny bit of pink Himalayan salt because I like experiments and when I figured out I like that taste, I had it months ago and it felt good. Unneeded, but tasty. It burned like hell in my sodium overload+aversion, it was horrible and I just ate a grain or two!
Okay, my body clearly know what it wants and needs, I try to keep my sodium low enough…

(Jill Cherni) #16

You have done a good bit of experimenting Shinita :+1::slightly_smiling_face: I hope to get my woe so fine tuned as you! I had a strip steak and green beans with butter and absolutely no neasea. Feel great. Tomorrow… More experimenting! Thanks for your input. Bob, thank you for pointing out the types of fat that could affect ones tummy. Y’all are super.

Shredded coconut and chia seed are really high fibre so you could have had a little too much fibre in one go. I did that with flax seed and ground coconut porridge I made once. I had to get up in the night and drink about 4 cups of water to relieve the discomfort. Just a thought.