Tom Seest's Latest Extended Learning (Fasting / Feasting) Experiment

(Tom Seest) #21

2017-01-15 - 11:00 PM - 34 Hours Fasted

Final readings for the day.

Overall, I felt great today. I’m going to up my electrolytes some to see if that helps with the high heart rate during exercise. I’m feeling great otherwise. I did eat two fermented Double Stuffed Jalapeno/Garlic Green Olives today. I try to take a ferment each day just to keep the pipes in shape.

The spreadsheet has been updated here. Going to try to rest now.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnnheiLCcfWxgZRToBW-4IjiB3YsMg

(Tom Seest) #22

2017-01-16 - 7:30 AM - 43.5 Hours Fasted

I managed to survive the evening. I’m probably going to eat today. I’m thinking I’ll eat Guacomole and this will reset me at the 48 hour point. I’m thinking guac will up my Potassium, and my Magnesium I know is fine based on my supplements. My BP is still running low, and my heart rate is running high given my history. My priority for today, is just to raise my BP some, as well as my electrolytes.

We’ll see how it goes.

Spreadsheet has been updated:

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AnnheiLCcfWxgZRToBW-4IjiB3YsMg

(Tom Seest) #23

2017-01-17 8:30 AM - 43.5 Hours

Went ahead and broke the fast for now with a feast. I believe I have a blood volume / electrolyte issue that’s a carry over from my recent illness.

So, I’m eating breakfast and lunch and will then reset to fast again.

Oh, and I ate bacons…

:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Stephanie Hanson) #24

Yum. I’m glad you’re listening to your body.

Nice job keeping the yolks in the scramble a bit runny. Yum!

(Cathy Schroder) #26

For someone recovering from pneumonia you are doing remarkably well. Go you!!

(Tom Seest) #27

2017-01-17 - 1:15 PM

I’m still alive but still not at 100 Percent. I found a new app that allows me to use my Wahoo TICKR heart rate strap with my Iphone to track my heart rate while I sleep. I like the new data source and look forward to using it when I resume fasting.

This is the track from last night. You can see my heart rate jump when I get up to use the restroom:

This is the track from when I went up the stairs and made bacon and eggs:

You can see that the heart rate is still way to high,

Have a good day.

(No I'm not mad - that's just my face) #28

Are you still running a low grade temp? That could also contribute to the tachycardia.

(ryancrawcour) #29

not trying to be fasting police or anything but i am curious; what is your definition of “fast” if it includes eating food.

if you look-up the definition of fasting it says “willing abstinence or reduction of certain food” … if this is the definition then aren’t we all fasting all of the time?

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #30

~totally following along and cheering you on~

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #31

@tdseest when I’m recovering from illness and/or getting back into the swing of my routine after being away from it for awhile, my heart rate is just flicted… all of my movements seems to create a high rate over all. it ends up taking a little while for it to level off and get back to normal. I hope the same happens for you - the leveling off sooner rather than later.

Very impressive data logging. Keep at it. It will help uncover root causes.

(Tom Seest) #33

Exactly. Some more than others. And, sometimes more than others. That is why there are so many types of fasts. We have Dry Fasts, Water Fasts, Fat Fasts, Protein Sparing Modified Fasts, etc. We all have different goals for fasts.

Most people have a tendency to think that the only type of fast is a Water Fast, but even with that, they’ll make provisions for coffee and tea.

Fasts are deeply personal, should be encouraged, and should be undertaken with specific goals or objectives in mind. They should not be shaped by the perceptions or narrow thinking of other people.

(Tom Seest) #34

My numbers are better tonight after 15 hours of sleep. I’ll probably try to resume fasting sometime tomorrow night.

(Blyss (Old @Charmaine)) #35

That rest is a beautiful and much needed thing. Keep healing, I pray for your full recovery and renewed strength.

(ryancrawcour) #36

i just find “fasting” to be a very overused term b/c of this exact thinking. if fasting is just controlling / reducing what you eat, then it’s just eating. it’s what we all do every day. so why call it fasting?

fasting, to me, means you don’t eat. you hydrate, with water, but you don’t eat.

but hey, each to their own.
good luck with your “extended controlled eating plan”. i love seeing the data and the results.

(Tom Seest) #37

I call it fasting because that is what the dictionary calls it. I understand that you prefer a more narrow definition. I get it.

I’ve done long (11 days) of the water fasts you describe. I’m not new at it.

But, discussions like this are counter productive and confusing to new people.

I appreciate the fact that you and others prefer the strict water fast, and I’m glad it works for you. I don’t discourage any type of fasting…Although, I have a preference for the Keto re-feed or feast.

(Tom Seest) #38

2017-01-18 - 6:00 PM

I’m still not near 100%, but I find this Heart Rate app named “Heart Graph” for my Iphone to be fascinating.

Here is a chart of my heart rate as tracked by this app, and my Heart Rate Strap (Wahoo TICKR) last night during my hours of sleeping:

Normally, while sleeping, almost all of my hear rate should be in Zone 1. I’m in fairly good condition as an endurance athlete. When I ride my bicycle, most of my time is spent within Zone 2 with some in Zone 3 and Zone 4. So, the heart rates occurring during my sleep are no where near normal.

Now, here is a chart of my heart rate while sitting at my desk and working today, and getting up occasionally and walking around:

Now, you can see that most of my time is spent in Zone 3 or Zone 4, which is the equivalent of a heavy workout.

The irony is that my Apple Watch keeps treating my entire day as a “Cross Training” exercise based on my heart rate from the watch. This is evident with the summary, as pictured here, for the day so far:

Apparently, I’ve learned too work out while sitting at my desk. Or perhaps, I’m still not well.

Either way, be well my friends.

(Guardian of the bacon) #39

What caused the huge spike at the 300 mark?

Why does your rate bottom out at the 180 mark, and then steadily increase from there? What’s the difference of your activity before and after the 180 mark?