Today's non-scale victory: wardrobe

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #1

While I’ve had plenty of scale victories (down 55 pounds since I started Intermittent Fasting in May), today’s non-scale victory was being able to put on my pants with the 44 inch waist and have them be comfortable. At my worst, I was 54 inches. That and I punched another hole in my belt today.

Gonna need a new wardrobe soon. The majority of my pants are now too big for me to wear (even with a belt). Other than the one pair that’s 44 inches, the others are also a little big, but still wearable with a belt. That said, I don’t want to buy too many “transitional” clothes because I expect to lose more weight in the coming months.

(Doug) #2

Agreed, Dameon. I’m in the “down to 44” class too, and just going to keep beating up the belt…

(Laurie) #3

Thrift stores can be a good source for those transitional clothes. Great NSV!

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #4

The funny thing is when I did Atkins more than 10 years ago and got down to my lowest weight in my adult life, I never got below a 44 waist. However, I’m about 30 pounds off that mark still, so I’m feeling good that a lower waist is definitely possible.

An even better non-scale victory to come: being able to buy clothes in a non big-and-all store.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #5

May be worth a trip to Goodwill to see what I can pick up once I have more than a couple non-travel days at home :slight_smile:

(John B) #6

Agreed, thrift stores are a great resource for better fitting clothes, while you continue to lose those inches! You can always drop off the clothes that don’t fit you anymore for the next guy!

(Ren) #7

I have recently had to buy new clothes, but still have some more to lose. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on “transition” clothing. I hit up thrift stores and also the clearance racks at discount stores such as Kohl’s, TJ Maxx, and Belks.

I have bought several pairs of new work pants for under $15 each and new work shirts for $5-$10 each looking through discount store racks and stacking a coupon ontop of it. Just the other week I got a new pair of pants and a shirt for work for a grand total of $16 at TJ Maxx

(Duncan Kerridge) #8

Ebay is a great place to get clothes as well, a lot of them new or nearly new. Picked up some new 501s recently for about 20% of retail price.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #9

Related to this non-scale victory is being able to sit in a bulkhead seat on an airplane and being able to use the in-seat tray table comfortably.

(From XL > Medium) #10

When I lost around 57lb recently, I could only find one pair of pants that would fit me.
I was a 44 waist and now I am a 36, and I think I am heading to 34.
I have since bought another pair and some t-shirts/tops from thrift stores & TJ Maxx type stores. But also, I found 4 pairs of jeans (buried under some clothes that I used to wear), that I have never worn and were the right size for me now. I think I bough these jeans when I was “hopeful” of losing weight the last time I tried, years ago.
It was like finding money in clothes that you haven’t worn in a while!

I’m off to the thrift store today to give them all my clothes from my former life.

(Gary) #11

I have done thrift stores for pants. Went from tight 48 to loose 38. Feels really good to be able to buy pants again. I’ve never seen any pants that I liked in the thrift stores in 48 size.

I had to sew new cuffs in the pants, but hey. I got skills.

(Gary) #12

I had just purchased about $200 worth of “Live is good” shirts in size XXL to fit my gut. Since I’ve lost 70 pounds they were unusable. I was very sad…

They are cold water wash shirts so I tried washing them all in hot water. Presto! Size XL shirts and happy not so fat boy,

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #13

More on the wardrobe front:

• Bought the 42 inch pants a month or so ago, which are starting to get a little loose
  • My 2XL shirts are starting to get a little loose
  • Today, bought the XL underwear

(Candy Lind) #14

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: That is awesome!

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #15

Today’s purchase from Costco. For me.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #16

Here’s the 54 inch belt (with lots of holes punched) I can wear with these shorts…

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #17

While my weight loss has stalled a bit, the above belt got another punch a couple days ago.
That’s 15 inches off the waist so far!
Looking forward to buying a 38 inch pair of pants.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

I think you deserve a new belt. Go for it!!

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #19

As a matter of fact, I did just that today.
Bought a single pair of pants and a large (38-40) belt today.
Trying not to replace my entire wardrobe at once :slight_smile:

It’s a stretchy 38, and I’m using the farthest out hole on that belt, but they fit.
Some room to shrink!

(Blessed with butter ) #20

A Thank you from my son and his wife for taking care of myself!