Today is my first planned IF... mini-blog

(LeeAnn Brooks) #21

Bone broth can vary widely depending on brand or what you add if it’s homemade, but you can find many that are less than 50 calories per cup, so well within the ability to use and still be fasting.

ACV has no calories so it’s also fine for fasts. I will take peoples word for it’s benefits as I can’t stand to take it in water. I don’t mind it in recipies, but not in water and certainly not straight up.

So I am doing a fat fast because I was under the impression fat would not raise my insulin significantly. But if I eat more than 50 calories of say butter I am going to raise my insulin anyway?

(Aimee Moisa) #23

I wish there were a way to determine the calorie content of homemade food without sending a sample to a lab.

(Aimee Moisa) #24

I was wondering the same thing, 'cause I hear about people doing BPC on fasts and it seems to be generally accepted as a fast.

(Beth) #25

Based on how Jason Fung explains it, fat is one thing that very minimally raises your insulin. So IMO, if you feel like you need it, especially at first while you are getting used to fasting and trying to get fat adapted, then by all means, have it. I think after you are fully fat adapted, it’s easier to fast.

(grace elizabeth) #26

Good on you for posting this and being honest about what is happening when you try to fast.
I could have written a lot of your experiences myself. Fasting is so foreign to me, but I know I have to do it for my health, and that it WILL get easier. Just don’t every stop trying. That’s how I’ve stuck with it.
Finding this forum has been life changing for me. I have a place to come and learn so many amazing things as well as give and get support to others who “get” why keto is so incredibly important.
I like the idea that you are coming here with updates, asking questions, and willing to try things tha might help you.
You can do this. Just keep reading all the wonderful success stories here for motivation and keep reading and learning all the experiences and science that is important for a keto lifestyle.
I too have a long way to go to get my health back to where it must be so I can keep getting older and stay as healthy as possible.

(Aimee Moisa) #27

Thank you Grace. I find it easiest to stick to something if I “put it out there” and even easier when people interact with me. I’m so glad I found this forum and all you lovely people or I’d be in the tall weeds right now and might not even have lasted this 6 weeks on keto. So many things have come together in synergistic ways in my life that I try not to fight it or regret the mistakes. Like getting pregnant after 8 months on low-carb in 2008 then spending my entire pregnancy eating carbs like Italian food and peanut butter and chocolate chips. I just chalk it up to it’s what I needed then, and I have a wonderful healthy little girl. No harm, no foul. I just wish I could have gotten back on the wagon sooner, but again stuff had to happen and I had to learn things and last year I learned a lot so now I’m applying that knowledge. Good things are sweeter if you just look at the bad stuff as being what had to happen before the good stuff could happen.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #28

You can use a recipie maker on an app like MFP. Just eneter the ingredients in the quantities you use. If the ingredients have a bar code, scan that. If not try to find the best match or google it to find the best match.
I save recipies all the time on MFP.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #29

I see that a lot too, and I think a lot of people are genuinely confused about fasting. Others take a “you do you, I’ll do me” attitude. And that’s fine if they understand they are breaking a fast with this. Just like I could eat bananas all I want. It’s a personal choice. But I wouldn’t be sticking to Keto. And 200 calories for BPC is actually low.
My recipie is closer to 400. These are good sized snacks to small meals. Just because you’re drinking your calories doesn’t mean you are fasting.

Listen to 2ketodudes podcast #5.

(Michelle) #30

Well, imagine a church lady “clutching her pearls” when the minister mentions having a glass of bourbon. Scrupulous people.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

The way I’ve seen it, fat fasts are a stepping stone to actual fasts. You’re going to get a little of the benefits of fasting, but not the full effects because yes, you will raise insulin.

(Aimee Moisa) #32

Oh, sorry. I meant the fact that all bones are different and depending on what meat, gristle, or fat was left on the bones and what part of the bone and how much marrow and how long you boil it all you can get wildly different macros in your bone broth.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #33

I would follow a recipie that already gives you the macros as long as you adhere to the quantities.

(grace elizabeth) #34

K.I.S.S.
Keep It Simple Sweetie

I follow the school that doesn’t worry too much about the numbers. I hate doing it and when I hate something, I fizzle out on it pretty quick.

I eat low carb, high fat, moderate protein. It works for me, when I follow it.

(Jane) #35

I found that when I got hungry while fasting, having some salt lessened it.

I also found that I really just missed eating. But not enough to stop my fast - just that I missed it.

I did my first fast as a “fat fast” and it was easy since I had my HWC and butter in my coffee and a block of cream cheese to eat for the day. I did this for 4 days.

The next week I did the black coffee/water/ketoaid fast and it was much harder but doable.

I can’t remember how long you have been keto… it was 5 months before I attempted my fat fast. Don’t push yourself and feel bad for caving in. You have plenty of time to ease into IF and EF as your body adapts.

(Jane) #36

If you want other fasters to interact with this is a good thread to get support from. Lots of different types of fasters so you can get a feel for what would work best for you. I hung out on the June thread but haven’t had a chance to plan a fast yet for July.