To buy or not to buy (a new pair of jeans), it is a question

I mean one or two pairs of new jeans.

In the past, I normally wear size 31, but now they are too loose(I wear belt to hold them). Yet, I am afraid that if I went far away from keto and never looked back again(as in, just eating normally as how I did long time ago), I might gain back and thus it made those new pairs of jeans waste of money.

I know what you might all be saying: why to go far away from keto?

As much as I managed to slim a little bit, I didn’t really feel any other good benefit in keto even after a few months(Maybe because I did go astray once in a while, breaking the combo, and that’s why): In fact, I feel like I am MORE easily angered(not mainly caused by hunger) instead of being CALM more easily.

Now I am trying to plan a time that is long enough(3~4 months) as I foresee a possible astray date(Mid-Autumn/Mooncake Festival) unless I managed to make Keto-compliant Mooncake.
(In theory, the content inside is possible to be keto-compliant, as I can make the dark-chocolate version. The problem is the skin outside)

Well, we buy all our clothes from second-hand, or Thrift, stores, so money expenditure is quite minimal. Whether or not you’re afraid of leaving Keto, you won’t waste too much money on a used pair of jeans.

Honestly, the best clothes I’ve ever owned were from the Thrift store. My theory is that all those people who can afford nicer clothes than me, all got fat and had to buy bigger clothes, while I was needing something smaller. :grin:

Err…
It feels weird to buy second-handed jeans. (Not exactly to get it for free. As in, if it is free, it is always good and understandable, but to buy it is another story.)

(bulkbiker) #4

I bought quite a few second hand pairs since I lost 10 inches from my waist. Thee are some great ebay bargains to be had I buy jeans that retail at $300 (evisu) for about $50 found a local seamstress shop that can do any alterations… gave all the fat boy clothes to charity - why would I want to go back.

You never know. After all, there is a statement like this: the fat loss is easily gained. Or something like that. So it would be better to be on the err side and keep those jeans, until it is confirmed that I really stay.(what I mean here is in terms of lifestyle, diet and the body size)

Besides, it felt quite weird to spend money to buy second hand jeans.(got it for free? I am okay with it)

(bulkbiker) #6

Oh please believe me I know…I never want to go back there…

As I said, you know you never want to go back. who wants? But the problem is that it is possible to be pushed back by force.

That’s what I mean by “you never know”.

As in, lots of people who diet and manage to lose fat gain the fat back again.

(Pete A) #8

Buy new jeans that fit. Enjoy them. Save the receipts.Or don’t buy them and walk around with your pants falling down! :grinning:

(bulkbiker) #9

For me this is a way of life for good. i will be following a keto way of eating until I die (unless of course science shows us something better). So I’m guessing weight regain won’t be in my future.

Lol… But if you only gain the fat back after 1-2 months, the receipt is rendered useless, yet the jeans is kinda wasted…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #11

Getting rid of ill fitting oversized clothing is actually part of the commitment to maintaining your weight loss and your program. Consider, if you have clothes that will be comfortable with a ten pound weight gain, you will not have quite the same alarm when the smaller jeans don’t fit quite as well. That alarm, the “Holy schnikies, my pants don’t fit so well, I better get back on plan,” is a strong control on your worse instincts.

I’m gonna get a smaller belt and ditch the size 40 one I’ve been abusing for 15 years. You’ve helped me clarify my thinking. Thanks.

(back and doublin' down) #12

just a thought from an old yo-yo dieter: say you do stray back to an old way of eating and gain back your loss. It’s likely to take so long that when you did need those larger clothes again, they’ll be out of style.

Second hand shops are the new thing. go exploring, you might be surprised at the cleanliness and quality. Shop around, the walking will feel good.

(Karen Parrott) #13

Ditto. Second hand stores. I like my nice jeans so much that even in long term #weightmaintenance I still shop second hand. Saves money

(Pete A) #14

If you buy the jeans at Walmart, Kmart other places it’s not useless.

But if you plan on quitting Keto and gaining the weight back, why bother? Get a rope and use it as a belt until then!

This is a circular conversation.

(Pete A) #15

Yes.

(Karen Parrott) #16

Seek a #weightmaintenance senior ( someone in long term weight maintenance 2+ years) and ask how not to regain.

Weight regain is common, but can be overcome in most cases. We all are worth our new clothes and long term weight management

Actually that is just half of the story. What if, after I buy smaller size, I need a much smaller size?

As in, maybe I can even wear size 28(now I think 29-30)… Which I believe is likely, as I saw some tummy there. I am trying hard to lose the belly fat.

(Pete A) #18

Then wait.

There’s a sense of reward, at least for me, in fitting into “normal” clothes. Doncha think? :grinning:

I had someone alter my new 34" and 32" pants so they fit. I picked up a couple of shorts for 7 dollars at Goodwill. I cut the sleeves off a couple of t shirts to expose my forming muscles. I share this as for me it’s quite motivating…

It kind of sounds like you’re really intent on accurately predicting the future and afraid of the cost of being wrong. If that’s true, the thrift store idea is perfect. Very little cost to being wrong. It does require taking a risk, though…you have to actually go in one and challenge your (apparently) untested assumptions about them.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #20

So, when I started, I was a 42 waist pant.
They are now too large, as I require a 38" waist pant.
I had some 40" pants that I was cramming into at 42", that now have considerable gapping, and when belted, crease and fold at the waist and bloom out at the hips. They are uncomfortable to walk fast in, because of the bagginess.

I ordered some 38" pants from Ebay to replace them. <$20 a pair. A pair of Banana Republic two of Brooks Brothers… $60 for pants that I am intending to wear for a few months with a goal being to be 34-36" at the waist or lower.

I need the pants. They are accountability and comfort, wrapped in one. I don’t need to spend large on them, because they are an interim step.

That is all.