To Become a Famous Scientist, Just Use This One Weird Trick

(Central Florida Bob ) #1

The topic of junk science comes up pretty often here. When you look at everything that passes for news these days, it seems that we appear to be in a Golden Age of Junk Science. There is far more junk science than at any point in my lifetime - or maybe I just notice it more, but don’t think about that.

A classic example that has a good thread going is that Harvard study that proclaimed that eating red meat just twice a week causes diabetes. To be completely neutral, that’s not what the headline says. It says it “may” cause diabetes. Yes, but junk science always uses those “wiggle words” like could, might, may, should and so on. Real science would give numbers like percentage chances, odds risks, things like that. Saying those wiggle words means they never can be held accountable for misleading the world; they can always say, “we never said it would cause diabetes, we said it may .”

I won’t get into why it’s junk, I think by now everyone has read Zoë Harcombe’s must-read analysis of the study, but the most important parts of her take down of it are that it simply shows correlation (which can’t show causation) and they omit any sort of mechanism that can explain the correlation.

In math, you learn about something called the transitive property. A simple example would be:

If A = B and B = C Then A = C

Consider then that correlation is transitive. I’ll abbreviate A is correlated to B as A corr B which turns that example into

If A corr B and B corr C Then A corr C.

That is the key to fame and fortune as a scientist (“fortune” as long as someone pays you for your study). It’s completely obvious when you think about it, so I’m surprised no one else has published this.

An easy example is climate change. Let’s say that global temperatures are increasing, and ignore the ton of questions that raises, because that would require proving causation. Transitivity means that anything else that can be found to be increasing in the time period in which temperatures are rising will be directly correlated to climate change. Conversely, anything that was found to be decreasing in that time period is inversely correlated to that temperature change. Lets say you find a decreasing number of species of some bird or flower or other example. You could then say climate change was endangering species. Never mind. That’s been done.

I’m not picking on or commenting on climate change, just using it as an example of an argument made all the time. Everything that’s changing in the world is blamed on climate change because of this transitivity.

In that Harvard study, instead of saying eating red meat causes diabetes, you can just as accurately say climate change causes diabetes. The two things have increased in the world in the same time period. Climate change causes microplastics in the Pacific ocean. Without doing the research, I bet if you went back to the 1950s, let alone the late 1800s temperature reference period they use, you wouldn’t find the word microplastics anywhere or even the concept. Today, it’s hard to go a week without seeing a microplastics story.

Think of it! No more need to waste time compiling fake data; if they’re both increasing, they’re correlated. You can publish more papers! Food Frequency Questionnaires? Fuggedaboutit. Just ask ChatGPT to fill it out or make up the data completely. You start out knowing the conclusion because anything that’s increasing is correlated to climate change by the transitive property.

You know people have been getting bigger and more obese in America. It’s going up, it may not go up exactly at the same slope as temperature but it correlates with global temperatures so just say that climate change is causing people to get bigger and more obese. If you find data that says vegetable consumption has gone up, you can conclude climate change caused it. By the way; have you ever noticed “fruits and vegetables” has become one word, fruitsanvegetables? You could conclude fruitsanvegetables consumption caused Americans to get bigger and fatter, but that’ll get you canceled, just like everyone advocating the carnivore diet.

Let’s face it: correlations are easy to find.

(Geoffrey) #2

Well it’s quite obvious that using forks make you fat.

(Alec) #3

Indeed. But those dullards at Harvard seem able to convince a lot of people that they mean something (which in general, they clearly don’t).

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

I think of Harvard (I think it’s the School of Public Health) as a factory that turns out pro-vegetarian news. If you see a new study from them you don’t even need to read it to know the conclusion.

I don’t know, maybe 20 or 30 years ago they did something good.

But the point is, since nobody studies actual causation, just find things that correlate and make up a study. Any two things that have happened in the same time period are correlated in time if nothing else, so find something you want to attack and write it up.

Sadly, intellectual discourse has left the building. Less than 50% of all scientific studies can be replicated by other scientists. Confirmation bias is everywhere, and unless you have the awareness to spot it, you can go down the rabbit hole believing junk science because it confirms your biases or twisting good science to fit. Specifically, look at Dr. Jason Fung. He is a big proponent of fasting in his practice. However, he does not recommend doing it every day. Thus, many falsely believe that if IF is good 2-3x per week as he states, it must be even better done every day.

(KM) #6

I think what’s really driving this is the profitability of treating symptoms. If you found actual causality, you could potentially cure (or worse yet, prevent!) a problem, at which point there would be no more need for medication or ongoing medical supervision. Naughty, naughty, we don’t want to go there. As long as we can stick with meaningless correlation, we won’t find the cure, and that’s just wonderful as far as profit motive is concerned. It gives us three things: a perpetual supply of patients, a perpetual supply of necessary research, and a whole realm of theoretically plausible (plausible based on correlation) symptom treatments to prescribe.:rage: