Tito’s vodka OK for Keto?

(Jorge L) #1

I was out at an event talking about Keto with some folks and “a guy” whose dad is doing Keto was telling me that Tito’s is NOT a good choice for keto. Whaaaaa? Tito’s soda or Tito’s Martini are my choice drinks!?! Has anyone heard that Tito’s is bad? Look, I know that alcohol is bad, but I thought I was choosing a drink perfect for our diet. Has anyone encountered data that would suggest otherwise??? I tried Kettle One today and it sucked!

(Lazy, Dirty Keto 😝) #2

Directly from their website

ANY alcohol pulls you out of ketosis so there is no such thing as keto friendly drinks, only difference is how quick you can rebound. Clear alcohols are the best, then rums etc. Beer is as bad as it gets. As long as it’s a here and there thing, and not constant I wouldn’t worry about it.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #4

Why does alcohol pull you out of ketosis? Science please.

(Running from stupidity) #5

Alcohol is a toxin, so the liver prioritises getting it sorted before doing anything else.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #6

What about sugar alcohols? I was just talking about this with@monurse and she provided some links, but it appears from what I read it doesn’t pull you out for very long.

(Running from stupidity) #7

Not the same thing, no.

I was just talking about this with@monurse

I’m sure Melissa knows more about this than I do.

but it appears from what I read it doesn’t pull you out for very long.

I suspect it depends on how much you drink, what you drink, and what you eat with it.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #8

And what type of alcohol, some have a lot of carbs like amaretto

(Running from stupidity) #9

Yeah, that was the what you drink bit, but I don’t drink at all, so I am UTTERLY CLUELESS about it from that POV :slight_smile:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #10

When I was looking for ways to sweeten up my coffee in the beginning I was checking out the carb content on various alcohols. I don’t drink much either.

Ya ya a sugarholic here desperate for a hit. :yum:.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

I use the sugar alcohols erythritol and allulose and a sucralose/monk fruit mix and stevia shamelessly in small quantities to correct food flavor balance against salt and acid or the occasional keto treat. But I am not a daily user in coffee and such. Each one has different culinarily properties. Allulose is the most expensive and versatile of the bunch. $18 for 2 lbs.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #12

Before I started Keto and I was desperate to keep my coffee, I was checking things out. Ultimately decided to go coffee free and sugar and sugar replacement free.

I will very occasionally now use swerve or stevia products since Christmas but I am getting back to the sugar replacement free zone again. I tried allulose once for my hubs he didn’t react well to it, I was fine but only had a taste as I was doing the cooking.

(John) #13

It’s vodka, right? No carbs, so unless you mix it with something carby, it won’t spike insulin. Because your liver will convert alcohol into burnable fuel first, you will stop burning fats and glucose until it deals with the alcohol. Your metabolic burn rate is about 100 calories per hour, and a shot of vodka is about 100 calories. So for that hour, you won’t be using up dietary or stored fat or glucose.

If that is a big deal for you, don’t drink. If not, don’t worry about it.

I have the occasional glass of red wine or bourbon, and I survive.

(Dee) #14

As stated, straight vodka has no carbs.

Fat burning will cease until the alcohol does whatever it does, (insert scientific explanation here) then back to regular.

I’ve indulged a number of occasions with straight vodka or whiskey no mixer, except sparkling water at times.

My tolerance is much lower and I don’t like the hangover effect or the bloating I seem to have afterwards so I now try to lessen my… occasions

(Scott) #15

Titos is gluten free and carb free which is why my wife likes it. It makes sense that alcohol will slow ketosis as the liver works to get rid of it. I keep seeing statements like “it will kick you out of ketosis for 24 hours”. This is just flat out wrong. The science behind this is I drink daily and I can taste that I am in ketosis at the moment. If this were true I would never be in ketosis ever. My typical day starting at five is 6 to 9oz. scotch before dinner, two glasses of red wine and maybe a beer after dinner. When I started keto I increased the scotch (no carbs) and decreased wine and beer. If I can find a way to resist I plan on cutting out the scotch and beer to see how the other side of this equation plays out.

I am curious to know the science about clear liquors being better than dark liquors all else being equal, ie. 0 carbs. Bourbon fan here, but barely ever drink since starting keto. My OPINION is that it is a wives tale.

And from a gluten standpoint, I just can’t imagine gluten making it through the distillation process.

(Doug) #17

While I haven’t been seeing people say the dark liquors are no good for you on keto, I agree - no carbs is no carbs, and ain’t nothing wrong with whiskey or whiskey plus water or soda, as far as ketogenic purposes, any more than with clear liquors.

(Scott) #18

They put water in when they make it.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #19

I honestly think it’s different for everyone
I do know the body takes at least 12 hours to metabolize the alcohol
I can drink all night and be in ketosis the next day also.

(Doug) #20

I agree. Alcohol is processed by the body like a fat, not a carbohydrate. We are still running partially on glucose made from our own fat (in additon to ketones) while we deal with alcohol. It’s still a net gain in energy to drink alcohol, so we’ll be burning a little less ketones, etc., but it’s not like eating a couple loaves of bread.