Tingly hands/feet for 2 days

(Jill F.) #1

I have tried to read up on possible causes of this before posting, so sorry if it has been covered many times before!
I have been on keto almost a month and experienced some keto flu symptoms over 1st 3 days but have been feeling great. Past 2 days I have had tingliness in hands and feet.
I have had low potassium in the past but this feels different. I increased my sodium intake and drank 2 sugar free power aids today to see if that would help.
Only thing that is different is I started using Stevia in the raw yesterday, any advice? I used 4 packets total yesterday and 2 today.

Stop using it and see if the symptoms resolve. Once resolved, use it again, and see if the symptoms return. If so, stop using.

If symptoms don’t disappear or worsen, contact your health care professional.

(Kristen Ann) #3

I had the same tingly feeling the first month of keto. I started taking B12 and it went away. If I forget to take it for a couple days in a row, the tingling comes back.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #4

When I was getting my stem cells harvested low calcium was a side effect of the process. The symptoms were tingling, twitching in extremities and face, especially lips. It happened. I was told to take tums. It stopped afterward.

Since starting this way of eating this has happened to me once and I took calcium and it went away. I am not suggesting this is your problem, but are you getting enough calcium? I also agree, if you can’t resolve it at home, contact your doctor.

The only time I’ve had tingles in my hands and feet was when I was having troubles with my back/spine (i.e. an early warning sign of impending sciatica, which ended up absolutely flooring me).

So just throwing that out there as an wild idea - tingliness may sometimes be due to a structural body issue and have nothing to do with diet.

(Jill F.) #6

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think it may have been Stevia related or B 12 related. I started a sublingual B12 and it is gone.

I also had no idea low calcium could cause, tingling and twitching.

I started using Natural Calm calcium/magnesium and with 2 days all tingling and twitching resolved.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

This is great news. I didn’t know either until a nurse told me. So glad you’re feeling better!

(Jill F.) #9

I also increased my calcium a few days later because of what you wrote about it as well! Thanks everyone!

(PJ) #10

Yep. Low Calcium. I shifted to keto once and dropped massive water weight but I was supplementing and I was drinking homemade kefir. After my water loss was done, I slightly upped my diuretic (which dumps sodium, and sodium is what’s needed to keep other minerals like calcium, potassium, magnesium), plus I stopped drinking the kefir for a week.

Now, after heart surgery, I’d had massive problems with my hands and arms, feet and legs, falling asleep – randomly and suddenly and extremely – for a very long time (like a couple years). Anyway it had been reducing gradually till nearly gone and then suddenly, it was back again. It got worse, and then it took over my whole body – it was a slow seizure – a trip to ER was required.

They gave me an IV dose of calcium and my body relaxed and all was better with the world. So… it was calcium all along I think.

Now I make sure my sodium is not too low, so it’s not dumping the other minerals, and I make sure I am supplementing with calcium as well as the other things (I wasn’t before).

After years of the problem – I have not had it in the six months since my ER visit.