Time to add something else?

Yup! And very effective! Slin is a big one in the lifting world, Jarrow makes a good one as well. There’s a ton of them out there.

(Diana) #82

Question - let’s say you eat omad at lunch. If cells are more insulin sensitive and you eat true keto macros (with higher fat) will your cells then be flooded with fat and is this then doing any damage?

I’ve heard varying guidance about how to “break the fast” many keto influencers indicate eat first lean protein then a half hour or hour later eat your actual meal. But if you’re truly doing omad shouldn’t you just eat once and not anything else?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #83

The normal situation, when we are insulin sensitive, is for insulin to rise while we eat, and then slowly drop during the time between meals. This causes some of the energy we eat to be stored temporarily, and then, as insulin drops, it leaves the fat cells to provide energy to the rest of the body. That is the normal pattern, which evolved over a couple of million years. Fat has a negligible effect on insulin secretion, only the bare minimum necessary to survival. It is elevated insulin that traps fatty acids in adipose tissue, by inhibiting the action of hormone-sensitive lipase (fatty acids are small enough to pass through adipose cell walls, but triglycerides are too large).

The only fats that I have heard cause damage are the polyunsaturated fatty acids in the industrial seed oils, which we did not evolve to eat. Also, the chemicals those PUFA’s get turned into during processing, or when they are over-heated during cooking.

A blind side, in the sweetest way meant possible. :slight_smile:

(382) Gary Numan - Cars - YouTube

(Diana) #85

Aha. So I totally don’t get then why the commotion about being careful what you eat when you break your fast. Ugh. Okay moving right along….

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #86

One of the issues that concerns people where fasting is concerned is the issue of re-feeding. On a one-meal-a-day regime, you are not likely to run into this problem, but a number of starving people rescued during World War II, who had been on short rations for some time, died when doctors gave them food. The problem is what happens to potassium levels when re-feeding, and it can be dealt with, if the doctor knows what he or she is doing and what to look for. In any case, this tends to be in the background of people’s thinking during all discussions of fasting and intermittent eating patterns.

Another issue is that some people have gastric problems from how they re-feed themselves, but again, this is not likely to come up if you are eating a meal a day.

Yep, this is usually a problem for longer fasts. But it’s individual how careful one should be. I am sure some people need to be careful even on OMAD. But normally we don’t do tiny pre-meals on OMAD, it’s a short fast, it’s not needed for most of us.

I saw people who called their 22/2 OMAD… I can do that too but only if I have a 2 hour long meal, not very common… But some people, on the right woe me included may need little breaks sometimes. I don’t really care about deciding what I should label my timing then… But I probably say 22/2 if I must. I don’t consider it OMAD if I wait for an hour…

We should eat some way we are happy with and put or not put any label on it. Some people are obsessed with labels and they want to use them even when they are far from it (even farther than waiting for an hour and calling it OMAD). Labels are useful but not so much when we don’t use them even remotely well. Of course it’s often not easy to say what they exactly mean as different people may have surprisingly different views of it. Humans, trust them to overcomplicate even seemingly simple things.