Three months in, New Here, The Good and The Puzzling

New here, not new to dieting or keto. I did Atkins many years ago and gave up after a few weeks because I got bored with the food! (I know!) Keep in mind I was a student and did not cook beyond scrambled eggs and pasta. I was ok with meat but I was always much more of a pizza and pasta eater. Plus I was working on a paper with a then close friend and I kept biting her head off for no reason. I also do not eat pork (still do not).

Have gained and lost and gained significant weight about 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years. Before this I lost a bunch of weight in 2010 and kept it off for 3 years. Most of the time on a moderate carb, highish protein, moderate fat diet usually with no white carbs/flour and exercising for 1.5 hours 4x per week. Generally eating between 70-200 grams of carbs a day, about 100 grams of protein and about 70 grams of fat (I went back and looked at some of my logs), eating about 1500-2200 calories a day. The problem was that I was often tempted by pizza and hamburger buns etc. I would often break my diet any time I went to a party or my kids ordered pizza, sort of because “why not? I can always start again tomorrow or the next day or the day after that” That was then, this is now.

In March I found Dr. Fung’s site and read everything. I started IF while still eating my moderate carb diet and really liked it. I found it helped with my late night snacking habit. Then I started Keto in April in addition and have lost about 27 lbs since March and still have a way to go. Mostly things have gone well. My longest fast was 5.5 days. The ketostix and the cheap breathalyzer I bought on Amazon showed I was in Ketosis but I stopped using them about a month ago. The breathalyzer only seems to show I am in Ketosis during a fast and even then barely after 2 days.

I seem to mainly lose weight during my fasts and not so much during the regular Keto days but I am ok with that. The only thing I missed initially was fruit which I was used to eating on my moderate carb diet. I still eat raspberries and blackberries in limited quantities. I have not exercised at all, except that I will lift the gallon milk jugs at the supermarket on occasion to keep the muscles going.

I feel fine mostly, actually better than usual in terms of energy and clarity, but with a low thyroid due to hashimotos I was not expecting much. I was freezing on some of my fasts until about 2 weeks ago when the weather here got warmer and I think I adapted. I am usually never cold pre keto/IF. I am also less stressed even though none of the outside stressers have gone away. Finally, I am less tempted by the normal trigger foods. I am not sure if I am more motivated than usual, like the less stressed feeling or because Keto really does take away cravings. I spent a good part of the winter at a diabetic close relative’s bedside after he had open heart surgery and perhaps I am heeding the warning (he is doing ok and has mostly given up carbs but is not keto)

Other negatives/concerns (warning may be TMI)

1. Foot and sometimes leg cramps. I NEVER got these before except during pregnancy over a decade ago. Will start potassium supplements, already take magnesium.

2. I have to drink all the time (morning sugar is between 84-96 so not T2) and then I go to the bathroom. If I do not drink then I feel like a UTI is coming on and I am not prone to them. Plus I end up waking up several times in the night. Also, I am sleeping less even though I want to sleep later and have nothing scheduled early in the morning. I miss my morning sleep!

3. Irritation (maybe yeast?) in skin folds is an issue. This was an issue on SAD, it is not an issue for me if I am strictly adhering to my moderate carb diet. I did read somewhere that a very low carb diet makes you more vulnerable to fungal infections. I have treated the symptoms and they seem to be getting better.

I do supplement with sea salt and magnesium during fasts. Started taking Vitamins D, K and A. Other suggestions welcome

(Dude Man) #2

OK you are thorough this is good you will go far.
1st, the cold while fasting is normal do not worry its easier in the summer. I have heard it is a biproduct of the large amount of fat metabolism. Coldness=Success. It may get less the more you fast. I have seen a less cold during fasts as of late.
2nd, stress is a major contributor to fat retention and lower metabolic rate. If you are afraid and nervous you need to save and retain(body fat). Your body does not want you to die. Next time you are stressed sit down close your eyes and feel the sensations of the body…this is all. Just watch with curiosity. See what happens.
3rd I have seen a large decline in the temptation of foods it’s nice to walk down a little Debbie isle and not flinch, Congrats!
4th cramps! Uggg! I have had cramps my whole life… I’m 32. This is magnesium deficiency for my body. I do take 1 supplement pill a day, but I get the best affect from epsome salt baths. I use 6 cups per hot bath and soak for as long as possible, you will want to sleep after. I get tiny minor cramps now, I can ignore them they pose no threat. Before they would stop me from moving and wreak havoc on my muscle for a week.
5th peeing all night… me too! I attribute this to the beginning of the type 2 diabetes, it will fade with the lowering of blood sugar… a1c.
6th yeasts feed on carbohydrates.
7th Suggestions, try a longer term fat only diet. Or just keep up with your already awesome 5.5 day fasts!

(Suzanne Barton) #3

If the magnesium and potassium suppliments don’t cure it add calcium. I was taking both of them and still getting leg cramps when I read on another thread that calcium deficiency can also contribute to leg cramps.
You will drink more water on keto it is very diuretic. That has something to do with glucose being stored in the body with water so when you drastically cut carbs it starts flushing out all the extra water. Someone more keto experienced than I can explain it better I am sure.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #4

I’ve not read that LC makes people vulnerable to fungal infections. This is a good topic on managing “keto rash”. I recall Doc Nally discussing a few times on Keto Talk that any change in diet can trigger skin issues, not just switching to LC. Sorry, I do not recall the episodes.

Thanks so much for the responses.

In case anyone is curious this is one place where they talk about LC and fungal infections

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2011/10/jimmy-moore’s-seminar-on-“safe-starches”-my-reply/
"Low-carb diets, alas, impair immunity to fungal and protozoal infections. The immune defense against these infections is glucose-dependent (as it relies on production of reactive oxygen species using glucose) and thyroid hormone-dependent (as thyroid hormone drives not only glucose availability, but also the availability of iodine for the myeloperoxidase pathway). Thus, anti-fungal immunity is downregulated on very low-carb diets.

Moreover, eukaryotic pathogens such as fungi and protozoa can metabolize ketones. Thus, a ketogenic diet promotes growth and systemic invasion of these pathogens.

As the fungal infection case studies on our “Results” page illustrate, low-carb dieters often develop fungal infections, and these often go away with increased starch consumption"

I realize he is trying to support his diet which is moderate carb.

@Becky, thank you so much for mentioning “Keto Rash” I had never heard of it before and that is probably what I was having although I have it on SAD too.

@Suzanneb thank you for mentioning calcium. Not sure that is it but worth a try. I am always a little leery of calcium supplements since there is always questions about it so will research some more. Also have been eating a TON of cheese, butter, sour cream and HWC while on LC since fatty meats make me gag (always have) and I do not eat pork. So getting fats is someimes a challenge . So I would be surprised if my calcium is low but I will start tracking my macros and micros better.

@Dude_man thanks for suggesting epson salts, will try the next time I have access to a bath (mostly showers in my house). I do not think the nightime getting up is T2 because my glucose is lower and this only started happening after the change in diet. Before I would get up once a night, now it is 3 or 4. Limiting beverages after 8 helps but then I feel dehydrated. Not sure what the solution is.

(Suzanne Barton) #6

Interesting. I have always read that yeast thrives on sugar, but never really paid much attention.

And I am 11 weeks into my keto journey and still drink tons more water than I ever have. I too have to get up 2-3 times a night due to all the water I drink and also have to keep water by my bed because I am thirsty much more than I used to be.
It’s sometimes a struggle but well worth it!