Three Day Fast Accountability Thread

(Jeff Davis) #1

Two weeks ago I tried my first three day fast, after intermittently fasting for a month or so. I made it to about 68 hours before breaking the fast, and I believe that my “need” to break the fast was more psychological than physical. Starting this morning (well, about 9:30 p.m. last night), I’m going to try to make it 72+ hours with just water, black coffee, and black tea. I’m trying to push through a plateau.

My question, for those who do three to five day fasts with some frequency, is: what is the frequency? Weekly? Bi-weekly? Monthly? Whenever you feel like it? I know there was a thread a couple weeks ago about whether it was “safe” to do a weekly three day fast. For the people who are actually doing somewhat-extended fasting somewhat regularly, how often do you do it? I know everyone is different, but I am curious as to what others have found that works. Thanks and Keto On!

I just fast whenever I feel like it (and it fits in my schedule). Have you tried just water and no tea or coffee? Maybe less hunger that way? (Personally, I have never been able to drink tea on an empty stomach, so haven’t tried fasting with tea; just decaf on the first day of a fast sometimes)

(Jeff Davis) #3

Thanks Debby. I’ve found that a cup of coffee can help when I’m feeling hunger pangs, but YMMV of course.

(Michelle) #4

I think the frequency of extended water fasts really depends on someone’s bodyweight and fat %. I think some people can do longer, more frequent extended fasts, and others not so much.

I think the issue is that you don’t want to be so restrictive every week that your body reduces your metabolic output to match you new calorie levels. On Fasting Talk, Megan even said that the 1 meal a day is good at first, but doing that all the time would reduce your body’s metabolic energy.

(Jeff Davis) #5

I agree, and everyone will have somewhat different results.

What I heard Megan say (and this might be wishful or selective hearing on my part) is that one-meal-a-day is fine for maintenance but will not work long-term for weight loss.

The thought of “changing things up” makes sense to me. Keep the body guessing as to when the next meal is coming. Two meals a day, then one meal, then no meals, then three, then don’t eat for three days, etc.

(Michael Critchfield) #6

For me, a 3-5 day fast is great. My hunger is non-existent after the 2nd day. In listening to Jimmy Moore, Dr. Jason Fung, and others I wonder if much longer fasts begin to have a negative effect on metabolism.

On my longer fasts, my hands and feet get cooler and at times even cold. Once a month is great for me when doing extended fasting. Since being Keto adapted, I am naturally doing IF each day.

I wonder if you meant, “In listening to Jimmy Moore, Dr. Jason Fung, and others” since Jason Fung is the doctor? :wink:

(Michael Critchfield) #8

Thanks… got interrupted and didn’t read my post. Fixed.

(Jeff Davis) #9

Day 2, so far so good.