Thoughts please on why I'm gaining weight

(Trish) #1

Hey all,
So I’m about a month in. Started July 15 at 183 pounds, 50 yo f. 5ft 4in. Not a keto newb as recall I did this before and lost 60+ pounds, so mostly OMAD or TMAD, Have done a few short fasts of skipping a day of eating so 36 or 40 hours-ish. Carbs always under 20 net, often closer to 10. Got down to 169.6 a week ago, now at 172. I know it’s only a few pounds, but my question is this. I wonder if my new job is causing the issue for me. So I was off work for a couple of months and I just started a new job…in a bakery of all places…NO LOL, I am not partaking in the baked goods. I am on my feet behind the counter and in the kitchen for 8 to 10 hours straight. Yesterday I put my phone in my pocket and Samsung Health clocked me at 8600+ steps. It’s not all walking but it is all standing compared to sitting mostly around for the prior couple months. I’ve also checked the measuring tape and no losses there, so it’s not just the scale and things shifting or whatever. Do you guys think it could be muscle growth or does anyone have any thoughts here? Either way, I’m all in and will KCKO regardless, but wanted some opinions. Thanks. :sunny:

(bulkbiker) #2

OMAD and TMAD can lead to calorie restriction which can in itself lead to slowing in weight loss… are you eating enough?

(Libby) #3

You may be making muscle in response to higher activity?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

Are your clothes getting tighter with the added pounds? If not, you are probably fine.

You might want to check your food for carb creep. Sometimes products get re-formulated with no warning, and something that used to be safe no longer is.

Your hormonal situation could also be relevant. How are you feeling? If tired and low-energy, perhaps your thyroid is acting up.

(Susan) #5

Are you eating any artificial sweeteners? They don’t bother some people, but some, (including me) cannot have any or we either gain weight or don’t lose it). Make sure you are drinking enough water as well. That can mess things up.

(Edith) #6

Hormones, of course, also cause water weight gain. If you are still getting your monthly cycle, where you are in that cycle could also be a factor.

I wish keto was an answer for that, but sadly (at least for me) it is not.

(Trish) #7

My intake is often low but I am eating to satiety. I have no loss of energy issues. Am bright eyed and energetic in the morning although expectedly dead after my shift.

(Trish) #8

No change in clothes. No carb creap as I cronometer everything. As for thyroid I’m status post a hemithyroidectomy for cancer but my thyroid labs are all within normal limits. I’m probably menopausal though so there is that hormonally.

(Trish) #9

Yes I have one or two splenda with coffee. No other sweeteners. When fasting I have only water. I possibly could up my water some days but others I have 10 cups worth.

(Trish) #10

Idk re my menses as I’ve had a hysterectomy so don’t get any but only a hysterectomy so still have my ovaries therefore still technically cycling just not monthly evidence of it. I do have hot flashes and sore boobs so do feel I am menopausal. Sigh.

(Bob M) #11

That’s too bad, as I would have guessed you’ve gained muscle with that amount of walking and being on your feet.

(Trish) #12

Ya I was hoping that would be it. Mind you I pretty much wear jeans and a tshirt and the jeans have stretch in them so I’m probably not effectively judging clothes.

(Bob M) #13

The problem is that the scale sucks. It only knows weight, which could be water weight, fat weight, muscle weight, etc. And you really did not gain much weight (for me, I can lose or gain 5+ pounds scale weight in a day, if I’m fasting or eating after a fast). So, it’s hard to tell what’s happening.

I know you used a measuring tape, but that (along with the scale) is something I’ve stopped using. Unless you’re perfectly parallel to the ground, pull exactly the same each time, etc., I found my waist size could easily vary by 1/2 inch or more. I also lose weight so slowly that the “noise” in the tape and scale far outweigh the actual fat loss (or muscle gain or both).

(Trish) #14

I understand. It’s probably a combination of all the things discussed here so far. I’m really just so frustrated and mad with myself that I allowed myself to gain 35 pounds back after working so hard to lose it. It’s actually really nice just to chat on here, vent, get some feedback, commiserate, and so on. If nothing else it helps emotionally. On the funny side…Hunnie is sitting beside me right now eating donut sticks and I have no interest in them at all. Gonna go throw a strip loin on rhe bbq and make a ceasar to go with it. Some Brussels sprouts and asparagus broiled in olive oil and garlic and will KCKO. :slight_smile:

How many carbs in a caesar?

(Parker the crazy crone lady) #16

You have to either find a low carb dressing, and be careful with how much you use, or make your own.

(Trish) #17

Here is a pic of my cronometer log from yesterday. Also the carb section specifically. I was totally full on the meal but added the walnuts to up my calories or else I would have been only at 700+ cals. The program sets the macros. Other than carbs under 20 I don’t watch those too closely. I worked 9 hours yesterday all on my feet. We don’t take breaks typically. I forgot to log my ketones yesterday but they are always at least 4 (40) urine sometimes more.

(Libby) #18

I had a restaurant job where we made caeser salads table side… garlic clove, anchovy, mustard, whole egg, oil and parmesan cheese… did I forget anything? Ground pepper. Thirty some years ago! My goodness how time flies :grinning: I don’t see anything in there that is too awfully high carb, but I guess it would depend on quantity.

(Trish) #19

We also used to do that years ago, make the ceasar from scratch. I think I will start making my own ceasar and greek dressing as it seems the commercial dressings tend to have a lot of soy and/or canola, neither of which are really healthy.

(Libby) #20

Oh! I forgot the squeeze of lemon. I knew I was forgetting something.