Thoughts on broth during fasting

I have currently been doing 16/8 and having a broth in the morning. Usually a bullion cube in hot water. What are your thoughts on bullion cube broth during IF or extended fasting? I have read a lot of mixed opinions

(Carpe salata!) #2

The fasting is probably better without it.

But fasting with it is probably a lot better than not fasting.

(back and doublin' down) #3

What Peter said!

Will add my own n=1. I’ve had multiple EFs where I’ve used bone broth to get past shakiness or feeling lightheaded. My last 5 day fast included BPC daily. I was fasting for weight loss and the experience. Starting a fast today and other than a BPC this morning (I’m going to be in a class all day and worried about staying awake), I’m going to try for water only and aim for autophagy. Have lost enough that I’m starting to get loose skin.

So really, it depends on your goal. And how developed your fasting muscle. Maybe, if the bullion cube thing is about tasting something in the morning, you could gradually water it down? Do what works for you! N=1, after all :slight_smile:
KCKO!

(MelissaH) #4

This is interesting, and might help you

October 2018 IF / EF Chat ALL WELCOME

Thanks for all the replies!!

Someone mentioned this the other day, and the idea that the protein in the broth may be enough to slow down or prevent autophagy. I think autophagy is too valuable to give up.

Drinking broth on an extended fast in my experience makes it harder because it keeps your digestion running so you stay hungry. There’s no fat in it so if you’re still carb adapted you may be converting some protein to carbs maybe - not certain. If you have to have something exogenous ketones would be better, imo.

I used to drink green tea while fasting, and found it’s a lot easier if I don’t. Back when I started fasting years ago, and info was hard to find I had one book that suggested not even using toothpaste as the strong taste could confuse your body into thinking it ate, or expecting food, affecting the hormones. I think that’s a bit too purist for me and don’t seem to have enough of a problem to worry about it, but it’s an interesting consideration.