This morning at breakfast

(Casey Crisler) #1

I went to the cafeteria this morning to grab breakfast since I’m starting a 36+ hour fast tonight. It’s a self serve “hot bar” so I was picking through the bacon and said to the lady next to me “it’s too crispy this morning.” She responded saying “you don’t like crispy bacon? But it cooks off all that fat.” I so badly wanted to scream “fat doesn’t make you fat!” Instead I politely said. “The fat is what makes it good.” Not the best answer but she wasn’t a fellow employee so I had to be nice.
Man oh man, we have a long way to go to change perceptions about fat.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #2

Ugh, i hate that.
I also think it’s such a waste when people eat lamb cutlets and they only eat the tiny medallion meat rather than sucking the bone completely dry of all fat AND meat.

You don’t like crispy bacon? Madness! To me there is not much worse than floppy, chewy ‘undercooked’ bacon.

It’s not great for a Keto lifestyle but I confess that I’m not a fan of chewy fat on any meat and yes, I only eat the medallion which is why I don’t tend to have much lamb or pork steak type dishes - much prefer it slow cooked so the fat’s all melted and delicious!

(Raj Seth) #4

Tar and Feathers - Let’s go !!!

(TJ Borden) #5

Are we starting a bacon civil war again? I’m game. Crispy bacon dishonors the pig the same way a “well done” steak dishonors the cow. It’s a crime against nature, and frankly, I’m surprised god hasn’t struck crispy bacon people down with lightning… except you’d probably like it because it would make you bacon crispy.

You disgust me :unamused:

(Doug) #6

:smile:

I love bacon within a vast spectrum - from heavy and jiggly and limp with fat all the way up to the long, flat (paper thin), rigid, super-crispy wafers that some hotels serve for breakfast - they are almost weightless, and one needs like 40 of them to even get to a decent amount.

(TJ Borden) #7

Nice to see you Doug… now quit being so agreeable and pick a side. You’re on a desert island and everyday you get an airdrop of drinking water and freshly cooked bacon (I don’t know why they don’t just rescue you, but I digress). You can choose how you want it cooked, but once you make you choice, that’s the only way you’ll ever have it again…

Flexible fatty goodness as god intended? Or the dry brittle shell of what used to be part of a beautiful belly of a pig that is rolling over in its grave- well it would be if it was in a grave, but it’s aboit to be in you’re belly?

(TJ Borden) #8

I think I’m in love :heart:

(Tara) #9

Well, I like bacon to be a little crispy and sometimes its ok if its not crispy. It depends on how thick the bacon is cut too, because thick bacon won’t really get as crispy, you just end up over cooking it.
But I will absolutely freak out if anyone burns the bacon. How dare you.

(Doug) #10

Hey Buddy, I saw her first! :rage::rage::rage:

:slightly_smiling_face:

Truer words have never been, and never will be, spoken! :pig::heart:

(Casey Crisler) #12

Chewy and floppy is exactly how I like it. Just past the undercooked stage. So much flavor versus charcoal.

(Deborah ) #13

I must confess, I also like my bacon crispy and don’t care for floppy, undercooked bacon.

(TJ Borden) #14

…the war is back on :smiling_imp:

(Wendy) #15

Hey I like it crispy. :yum:

(Laurie) #16

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

And I like my eggs hard. Who wants to chase their eggs down the street? I tell the cook, “The bacon the same as the eggs please–rubbery!”

Hard eggs?..soft bacon?..it’s like I accidentally woke up in backwards land and everything is truly awful!

Bacon fat should be golden and break without complaint, the rasher as a whole should not be brittle, but should easily tear with a gentle bite. This is the law in my house. It should not be an anemic floppy mess with an unyielding chewy rubber band wrapped around it! (which is what you find in the UK when you buy a bacon sandwich…not that I do that anymore).

Burnt bacon is different. That is bad. If it looks black and I can snap it then you have disrespected your porcine sacrifice.

As for eggs…hard boiled eggs can be hard…all other eggs the yolk should be soft. A fried egg with a hard middle should be listed in the dictionary as an example of ‘failure’!

(Running from stupidity) #18

We need to find a way to sous vide it. But those weirdos would still kill it by overcooking it.

(Candy Lind) #19

THIS. I’ll take my bacon any way I can get it (well, except … raw). :bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

NAW … I need to keep my bacon nectar supply at an optimum level.
:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon:

(Carpe salata!) #20

I’m with you on that. A sirloin steak with a fat cap on one edge - I make sure to hold the steak on that edge to render the fat into succulent melt in your mouth texture. I get the pan fats, add a dash of red wine and tablespoon of cream and mix to a gravy - pour that over the veg and steak. THATS keto :smiley: