This just in: You're powerless against junk food

(Jennibc) #21

Okay. Perhaps you should read the book? You are jumping on the title without any clue what the book is about. There is absolutely NO victim blaming in it at all. And as a parent of teenager, there is absolutely an epidemic of middle and upper middle class parent coddling their kids and it’s creating a generation of young people who feel completely incompetent. We are in control of a lot more than we give ourselves credit for and understanding that is extremely liberating and empowering.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #22

I wish I could like your comment twice, lol.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #23

I agree about young people feeling completely incompetent about nutrition. Parents are teaching their kids horrible dietary habits: the varied holiday traditions of carbage that must be observed in front of extended family or the children will be socially punished for not conforming; the mixed messages of “eating right” at meal times but “rewarding yourself” with carbage when it’s been a crap day; bowing down to the USDA food-guidelines-of-the-moment rather than learning to observe their own bodily signals; not teaching them to cook anything from scratch so they leave for college only capable of microwaving mac and cheese and dialing up Pizza Hut.

I’m sure the book has a fat chapter on all of that, please let us know which one it is.

(Jennibc) #24

Don Q wrote " I feel sad for people who think and live their lives that way. It must be crippling." I was talking about the book in terms of that statement. That a generation is being crippled because they are being convinced by well meaning people that they are fragile. And it is crippling a generation. That was the point in bringing it up, it was kind of an off hand comment based on what he wrote. Not related to diet at all. ALTHOUGH my theory is that all the bad dietary stuff is making things worse for people emotionally and mentally.

So I took time from my life and read through what I could on Google books. While I don’t disagree with all of their points, it still feels disconnected from what I’ve observed as a Millennial and what I’ve seen from Gen Z. This book is telling them to “seek out challenges” rather than avoid things that might trigger them. We have never been shielded from anything, especially in both an Internet age and a post-9/11 world. People want safe spaces specifically because it’s near impossible to escape from the constant threats of everything around us.

Millennials and Gen Z don’t feel disempowered because we’ve been told we’re “fragile.” It’s because the world is actively hostile to us, and we know that, and respond accordingly. A “fragile” Gen Z generation wouldn’t have stood up to the NRA after the Parkland shooting, but they did, and faced bullying from the NRA, news networks, and adults at large, who decided teenagers were fair game to intimidate, gas light, and be told to shut up.

I can’t take a book seriously that tells me that punching N@zis is wrong, that discourages protests. It’s telling us that we should allow people with dangerous, violent ideas to be allowed to talk in the spirit of “de-polarizing” the current state of politics, and that my gen and those younger are somehow in the wrong for not wanting to give dangerous people a podium, when we know for a fact that letting dangerous ideas float will lead to violence (yes, authors, we mean physical violence), that there is no such thing as bad publicity for such people? Like, no, I’m not going to tell my Black nephew he has to tolerate people debating whether or not Black people are human, I am fully within my rights to tell him he doesn’t have to listen to that garbage and should do everything in his power to silence it. That wouldn’t make him “coddled.”

There have been instances where Millennial and Gen Z anger has overreached and harmed otherwise innocent people. But this book certainly can’t tap into the reason why, so it can’t give a solution.

(Jennibc) #26

Did you just go read the entire book? Or are you reading someone else’s description of it? Because the book says NONE of that. You are arguing against points that neither I nor the authors are making.

In the interest of not getting another thread shut down, I’ll leave it for now. If you wish to continue, we could take it to another thread.

You know I was watching. :wink:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #29

It’s an interesting topic. Link to your thread KC and continue!

(Jennibc) #30

Other people are going to have to engage because the points she brings up have nothing to do with the book that I am almost done reading. I read a lot and I love to share what I read with others (as is probably obvious from how many books I’ve recommended on this forum)- I am a fan of ideas. If people actually READ those ideas and then want to argue about them, I am all in. It doesn’t bother me to have people disagree with me. But if they haven’t actually read the stuff and the arguments made, then it’s futile to even have a conversation because we are not discussing the same thing.

Give me a couple hours to get my info together and meet me over in my thread, I’d be willing to listen to your understanding of the material. Provided you use my correct pronouns, of course :wink:

(Sophie) #32

It’s F-in Keto baby! :joy::rofl::joy:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #33

Wanna hug you right now. So well said.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #34

Ha! I know, right? Plus, our natural spunk.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #35

Go with your instincts, Darren. PLEASE.

(Sophie) #36

And my mother always told me it was Bone Structure! :wink:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #37

I have buttloads of that. Comes in handy when I’m kicking ass.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #38

Yeah, that was kinda my point. Translation: Take it to another thread.

(Jennibc) #39

Wow. Okay then. Sorry I missed your sarcasm. I guess I was giving you too much credit for being a decent person. Sorry to have a moment of ADD. You did mention victimization so I went off on that tangent a little.

You’re welcome to take it to my thread now so we can leave baconmecrazy’s thread alone:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/ketocobra-s-carnivore-accountability/69689/237?u=ketocobra