This just in: You're powerless against junk food

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Oh, you’ve got to read this piece of unintentional comedy gold. A Huffington Post writer did a deep dive shallower than a kiddie pool into why we are all automatic failures in the face of nature and the irrepressible genius of the junk food industry juggernaut.

Here, I’ll sum it up for while you roll your eyes.

Reason 1: You’re a human being

“We can’t detect vitamins or minerals, but we’re really good at learning to spot density.” Uh, beg to differ with you, hun, but once I got rid of crap and went keto, I could easily detect cravings for nutrients. You may be confused because I didn’t say “Hostess.”

Reason 2: You have taste buds

“…it’s the flavorings on these Doritos that make you want to keep eating them.” Um, no, actually it’s the massive avalanche of carbs that aren’t signaling satiety while your body is desperately, but unsuccessfully, trying to get energy into cells during an insulin resistance blitzkrieg. But, you know, close.

Reason 3: You are, literally, an "eating machine"

"If something melts down quickly, your brain thinks that there’s no calories in it … " Are you fucking kidding me? The brain knows damned well there’s calories in Ben and Jerry’s Chubby Hubby, that’s why it’s dopamine receptors are firing faster than a Quentin Tarantino shoot out. Google “sugar,” you halfwit.

Reason 4: You have happy childhood memories

“Think about it. You don’t serve chips at formal, stuffy dinners.” No, but there’s a shit-ton of cake and pie at funerals, what’s your point?

Reason 5: You are too busy for this nonsense

“Here’s the thing about fresh food: It spoils.” Yeah, and here’s the thing about your body: It does, too. This whole concept of staying away from the kitchen so you can put in long hours at the office to save up enough money to cover your diabetes and stroke after-care expenses later on is kinda creepy. Buy fresh and learn to cook, ignatz.

(Chris) #2

Are you saying the intentionally-hyperpalatability of these foods has nothing to do with you over eating it? I’d beg to differ. Doritos and other mass-produced garbage are designed to taste amazing, so you’ll want more.

The fact that it’s comprised of the worst carbs imaginable is part of it, but not the whole story.

(Jennibc) #3

Yes, we are all ‘victims’. You know who the most miserable people are in this world? The ones that believe in an external locus of control. Here’s an interesting article that I read moments ago about self-discipline. Clearly the Huff po writer believes exactly the opposite of this writer, who bases her article on actual science, which she links to. http://behavioralscientist.org/are-you-hitting-your-limit-or-getting-stronger-the-power-of-reinterpreting-mental-effort/?fbclid=IwAR1ieSGWvLyO_ttOLq1EM_i3iuh-RSdbdqF_31AkMJQAuTpTukCprzUhK4w

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

Cool article. This phrase leapt out at me: “…our beliefs about self-regulation…”

Catching ourselves in limiting beliefs and reframing them eventually leads to a new belief paradigm if you do it over and over and over and over and…

Neuroplasticity, my homies.

PS: I go to Huffpo for laughs, not science. Just sayin’.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #5

Well, not nothing. But, rather quickly, the taste component of it dulls and you’re basically just on autopilot because you’re not full yet.

Flavor may have gotten you to into the bag of Doritos but the lack of satiety got you to the bottom of it.

This article says it better.

(Chris) #6

I agree with you.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #7

I think the point of the OP is that if you don’t understand the feedback loop of carbs then it is very difficult to get out of it when everyone says that to be healthy you need to reduce fat and protein and snack all day to control your hunger. So if you don’t understand what carbs and high insulin are doing to your body it feels like you don’t have control because you don’t understand that you need to quit eating the carbs to be healthy.

People also don’t understand the addictiveness of carbs, not just sugar but all carbs.

So even if you try you fail, and fail again and again. Feeling like you are in control is a by-product of being successful at some points.

However once I truly understood what I needed to do and how to do it(thanks to this forum,Dr Fung and the podcast). I was able to control my food.

I felt that my food issues were out of control and this is coming from someone who managed to juice fast for 6 months. You can imagine what that did to my health.

I will also now confess that I have read neither article but I am responding to the illusion of control when you don’t have the knowledge to take control.

(Windmill Tilter) #8

This seems to be the implicit subtitle of a whole lot of the articles I’ve read on the HuffPo in the last couple years. I feel sad for people who think and live their lives that way. It must be crippling.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #9

Yup.

Nice.

(Sophie) #10

@Aqua_chonk Off Topic: It’s so nice to see you again. Every time you cycle through, it’s like a breathe of fresh air! Just sayin.

(Jennibc) #11

Did you mean this response to go to me? I was just linking to an article - I know what the OP meant.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #12

I was responding to your thoughts initially but it kind of morphed into thoughts in general and for everyone to think about and respond about. I changed my mind half way through the response and changed it to a response to the thread.

That’s me super decisiveness in the late afternoon. :smirk:

Edit. Grammar

(Stickin' with mammoth) #13

Must be my deodorant. Hey, you got younger.

(Jennibc) #14

It is! I am reading a very good book right now, “The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure” It discusses in great detail how this kind of distorted thinking is damaging us.

America has many problems, but coddling certainly isn’t one of them. It’s been to my experience that victim-blaming remains quite in vogue. The fact is that quite many things do remain out of our control and the system is set up to fail people and then blame them for their failure - diet is one of them.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

Yeah, I did a ton of research before I even dipped a toe into the keto waters and I was nauseated at the level of flat-out lying and burying of scientific evidence the government and all its flying monkeys has performed in the name of commerce. The USDA and AMA in particular can kiss my creamy white ass.

(Todd Allen) #17

I think most of us here have become pretty good at spotting the density of nutritionists.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

Mwah-hahahaha!

@brownfat, for the win.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #19

:joy::rofl::joy:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Thanks. Nice delts.