This helped this time

(Robert C) #1

I am on day 11 of a 14 day water fast (first week had 2 nights of 8 oz of bone broth and included supplements but otherwise - water, black coffee or unmolested green tea and pink salt for 11 days so far).
I had previously built up my “fasting muscle” with lots of “white knuckling” but this fast was different.

Earlier fasts had two prevalent characteristics:

1. Focusing on how many hours I was at / how many to go / whether I could get through that particular day into sleep
  2. Focusing on what I could not do (i.e. can’t eat this, can’t eat that, missing out etc.)

For this fast I decided several days in advance to consider it a spiritual journey (not religious - just spiritual). This really helped move my focus - for example, focusing on the idea that a spiritual journey includes sacrifice (i.e. so instead of “can’t eat” it becomes “choosing not to eat” or “sacrificing for the future”).
Also, fasting gives you that good feeling (after day 2) of mental clarity - which can help you feel a little more “spiritual”.
I mediated more - reduced worry about where I was time-wise etc.
All of this just let the fast happen more easily than in the past.
Sorry I cannot explain it better but hopefully an idea has sprouted on your end from what I have written so far.

May 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

It makes sense and thank you for sharing. Personally do need more motivation and reasons for fasting and doing keto of this kind, rather than just to lose weight and stay slim. It keeps it real for me and I will welcome more advice and people’s experience of this kind.

(back and doublin' down) #3

yes! this is totally my plan, mentally speaking. Also a meditator, every morning. am thinking of throwing in some tapping and self hypnosis.

Thank you for sharing, your words did inspire new ways to think about the next week!

“chosing not to eat” instead of “can’t eat” is interesting, I like that, it may work, I’ll try to put it in practice.