This covid stuff is slippery

No windows and cold temperatures. Intense light kills viruses and strengthens our immune system while cold temperatures weaken our immune system. I’ve been running a 500W halogen work light for weeks because intense sunlight has been spotty and I’ve noticed a difference in my immune system and cortisol levels.

I do wonder if this virus can replicate in hypoxic cells of a carcass and further increase the viral load of workers as the meat is tossed around.

(Adriana Gutierrez) #42

Yes, Covid is scary stuff and with no immunity we are all at risk. The USPS mail sorting facility that services our area had 3 workers i fected early on and I hear they have lots of workers out now. So…mail is another potential source of contamination. Be sure to wash hands when handing mail!

(Ron) #43

Anyone notice the ship that had all the military personnel that were infected is reporting that some survivors are catching it again? You couldn’t create a better test condition so this tells a lot about this virus. Herd immunity isn’t going to be a viable option potentially.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

@mtncntrykid I believe the Chinese said that some were infected twice and/or relapsed. I’ve questioned the proposal of people becoming immune all along. It’s more like a cold virus and we seem to not be able to develop immunity to colds. :cowboy_hat_face:

I would love to see the article. Any chance you can post a link?

I developed immunity after resistance exercise everyday in the morning and right before bed in conjunction of a variety of supplements.

Bodyweight resistance exercises like squats, push ups, dips and sometimes deadlifted the bed until my muscles burnt a little. However it took many weeks to gain immunity.

I’ve noticed though that despite O blood types having innate immunity because of their Anti-A antibodies which latch onto SARS-COV-2 and prevent viral entry. It is still taking them just as long to gain long term immunity by producing immunoglobulins if not longer.

(Doug) #47

Good question, David. I think the worst-case here is that a more lethal strain develops - this is one theory behind the drastically worse second wave of the Spanish Flu in 1918. Beyond that, yeah - we don’t yet know how much real immunity is possible.

@David_Stilley - I just saw what Ron @mtncntrykid mentioned - USS Theodore Roosevelt sailors. They all had to test negative, twice, before they could go back to the ship. 5 that had tested positive before, then negative twice, now are positive again. …:rage:

It’s not as simple as type O blood bringing immunity. What’s been observed is less chance of hospitalization and death among people with type O blood. As I recall - in Wuhan, China, the general population was ~34% type O, and represented 26% of the hospitalizations and 25% of the deaths. To go from this to most people with type O blood saying, “I have innate immunity” is incorrect.

1/4 % of deaths in blood type O’s with already severe health issues isn’t a lot when compared to the amount of A+ blood types who’ve been severely sick resulting in organ damage. It isn’t 34%-26%=8% of total O population haven’t been hospitalized/dead.

The worse I’ve heard in a blood type O is my mother with non alcoholic fatty liver. She only had diarrhea and throwing up a couple times and then neck/muscle pain. Younger blood type O+'s had the same white diarrhea and cleared the virus but initially became reinfected from what seems like a lack of an immune response to gain long term immunity. Regardless of this. I still believe in being cautious and following physical distancing because of the silent spreaders and the risk of this virus mutating into a new strain.

My O- grandma(86y), uncle and cousins didn’t even have any symptoms.

I read that article too but near the end of it there was mention that there is doubt about the accuracy of the tests. I suspect that with all the people that have survived the infection we’d be hearing of reinfections if it was prevalent. Evidently the Covid 19 virus belongs to a group of corona viruses that are well known to bestow immunity on most or all survivors.

(Doug) #50

Consistency, I’m not sure what you mean here. There’s no indication that the other blood types were somehow avoiding other health issues while the type Os had them. If it’s as simple as type Os being 34% of the population and 25% of the deaths, then that’s a significant though not huge difference.

I wish we’d see bigger studies on this - and there should be plenty of data by now. The Chinese study had its limitations and isn’t peer-reviewed yet. It also couldn’t even duplicate its results between hospitals, i.e. the Wuhan hospital had Type As at 32% of the population and 38% of hospitalizations, while the Shenzhen hospital had Type As as exactly unchanged - both the general population and hospitalization being 28.77%.

The blood-type anitbodies and preventing viral entry or not - this was about the first SARS, in 2003, as far as I know. Don’t think any similar thing has been observed with Covid-19 yet.

Dr John Macdonald on Youtube today speaking on a Korean CDC report…no reinfection, PCR showing positive to viral fragment. Very good news…immunity post infection.

(Karen) #52

You know it didn’t seem likely that people would be reinfected. It would make the behavior of this virus so very different from other viruses. And while always possible it just didn’t seem likely

(Ron) #53

It is so hard to believe anything anymore! The navel ship has an outbreak of repeated infections, China is on the verge of lockdown again due to a resurgence of Covid, yet this seems to be pushed under the table like a hush hush situation and all this sudden publicity about immunity from antibodies. WTF is one supposed to believe???
Wow!

(Doug) #54

We really don’t know a lot yet… Different strains of the virus would explain a good bit. One good thing, there, is that usually mutations tend toward less-lethal varieties; some outbreaks eventually “kill themselves off” via mutations which are not as infectious or harmful to the host species.

This chap has some positive updates on the risk of reinfection. Hopefully this is what is going on with the sailors.

(Peter) #56

As Doug said, the bottom line is we know very little about it at this point. Which is also worth bearing in mind when anyone says a vaccine is going to arrive soon. It may, and it may not. I also worry that if it arrives soon, it won’t have been well-tested and could have nasty outcomes, and thus the anti-vaxx morons will get a real example to use.

The thing is that people who are in hospitals don’t reflect the general population. They are simply the sickest regardless of their blood type. So the study from china is like a result we would receive if we gambled. I went to the hospital when I had persistant tachycardia from the initial viral infection and the hospital booted me out because I wasn’t sick enough and the assumption that the virus only destroys the lungs. Therefore there’s a multitude of factors which would indicate severity but those who produce sufficient Anti-A antibodies, usually younger people, are most likely to live without any issues unless they have severe nutritional deficiencies while other blood types without Anti-A antibodies are most likely to have to deal with organ damage following SARS-Cov viral infection and maybe even death from excessive blood clotting near fibrotic tissue. I’m recovering from myocarditis and know the importance of avoiding Vitamin K2 and Omega 6’s post viral infection. So if someone dies post viral infection due to organ damage. Is their cause of death… the virus or organ damage?

Maybe someone should make a forum poll with questions and symptoms based on blood type, smoking status, medication, etc… The results would be interesting.

(Doug) #58

If blood type confers no advantage, then hospital admissions should reflect the general population. There will be cases where it’s impossible to tell what exactly killed the person. Obviously, advanced cancer and heart disease are good candidates, for example, but if they present with “lungs full of gunk” then at the least it’s a real question. There have been such cases, not attributed to Covid-19 but with hypoxia noted.

Ouch… The body being infected or responding to the infection can be nasty, indeed - the heart, blood vessels, kidneys, liver, intestines, stomach, even the immune system itself can all be impacted.

We present data indicating that the S protein/ACE2-mediated adhesion between cells expressing ACE2 and cells coexpressing the S protein and the A histo-blood group antigen can be specifically blocked by anti-A antibodies.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7108609/

I’m referring specifically to covid-19 because it’s often misdiagnosed and kicking people out of hospitals paints an incomplete picture of the general population.

Vitamin A and D are required for the production of antibodies.
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3789244/
-https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2906676/

(Doug) #60

That link goes to something from 2008, so it’s definitely talking about the first SARS, not the second. The new coronavirus is different - its mutated spike proteins are the primary difference between the two virus versions, no (?), and this is what made for a second epidemic. I’m not saying it’s impossible that something similar can happen now, but to this point I haven’t seen anything about it.