Thinking of doing my first fast beginning tonight... questions

I want to do a long fast for my very first fast. I was wondering if “ultima electrolyte mix” in my water is ok? Or do I need to do strictly salt and water only ?

(Christy) #2

What do you consider long?

5-7 days, what do you consider long? I would say ultra long would be like 14 days I definitely think I might die if I did that one haha

(Christy) #4

For your first fast, definitely not 5 days lol.

Why would it be harmful to my health having never fasted before, or is it more that I’m more likely to fail ?

(Christy) #6

Fasting is not harmful as long as you’re not “suffering” through it. But, to begin with a 5 day fast is pretty outlandish. Start at 36/48 hours & progress from there. Why would you want to stress your body in such a way?

Maybe I’m a little to enthusiastic, is it really that tough? Also what do you mean by stress my body out? You mean like all the irritability and detoxing?

Actually I’m sure it’s probably super tough

(Christy) #9

Much too much.

Going from eating even 1000 calories a day, which I am assuming you hit, to 200- calories a day for 5+ days is going to be stressful unless you have worked up to that point.

I would encourage anyone who began with a 5 day fast to correct me :metal::ear:

What could be possible side effects to body stress wise going from that amount of calories to barely any ? Do people take vitamins during a fast ?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #11

My first fast years ago was a 7 day one. It was fine. And since you are eating keto I wouldn’t worry about it. I don’t do 7 days anymore. (I only did it once.) I feel like this way of eating is ironically healthy enough that I don’t need to fast that long. But it can be difficult. I think it’s is okay for you to try 4 or 5 days. But remember that quitting earlier than planned isn’t failure. It isn’t a competition, even with yourself.

(Christy) #12

To put it bluntly, you would just feel like shit. Even with the electrolyte supplement. No one’s body is designed to abstain from food so suddenly. That’s just common sense. Why are you in such a rush?

I don’t know haha

Don’t you feel like sh$& either way when you fast ? Whether it’s a long or short one?

(Christy) #15

Not at all, actually.

So your saying adapt first to avoid the negative side effects ?

(Christy) #17

I am saying that fasting is great … but to blindly commit to a 5-7 day fast without feeling it out is absurd. Fast … go as long as you’re truthfully comfortable & be done. Then, strive for a bit longer each time.

I totally understand what your saying I just feel like if I shoot for longer and fail I’ll still end up going longer then I would have if I shot for a shorter fast if that makes sense

(Christy) #19

:call_me_hand:

Thanks for input and I’ll play it by ear I’ll probably be on here within 24 hours whining about my symptoms lol