Thinking of doing my first fast beginning tonight... questions

(Christy) #21

Was this your very first fast in an attempt to gain ketosis, or how long after you began the WOE?

What inspired you to begin with a 7 day fast?

EDIT: At this point in the game would you recommend a 7 day fast to a beginner/newbie?

What is WOE?

(Christy) #23

Way of eating

(Doug) #24

Eating carnivore, losing weight - you’re used to burning fat, Lbomb. :slightly_smiling_face: Should be set up pretty well to fast. The 18 hour mark is often a tough time - when the stomach and small intestine are finally pretty well emptied out, when the body is really getting into real fasting mode. Then some people say the second day is the worst…

Salt and other electrolytes - maybe, try it and see. It definitely makes a difference for some people. Not sure whether it’s made me feel better or not.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #25

I did the 7 day fast years ago, long before keto. I wouldn’t recommend it to a newbie, but neither would I discourage them from trying it out if they wanted to. It isn’t a commitment, you can eat any time. Based on everything I’ve learned, I’d say a 3 or 4 day fast gets you the most benefit. But as long as there are no medical issues, a one time 7 day fast isn’t dangerous.

(Alec) #26

If you are already fat adapted and dead keen, my recommendation is to go into an intended 5 day fast, but be very aware of your body signals, and agree with yourself that as soon as you feel off for longer than an hour, you should end the fast.

There are some folks (I am one of them) who just feel much better on a fast than when I am eating! You may be one of them as well. You will find out by doing your own experiment.

I would also repeat and emphasise what @Ruina said, fasting isn’t a competition, and ending a fast early is not failure, it is just plain smart. Unless you are on your deathbed, there is always another day to start a fast. Feeling ok to good to fantastic is important on a fast. If you are not feeling at least ok, you should end the fast.

How can I be certain if I am fat adapted? I hear people talk about never being hungry , that isn’t my expierence I still get hungry.

(Christy) #28

No, I certainly do not consider it dangerous either. I suppose I speak from more of a morale standpoint. 5/7 days is no walk in the park. To begin (& fail) with that could be highly discouraging. I have an iron will, & at 37 hours in saw no further benefit to starving myself at week 5. I will try again next time.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #29

Dr Ken Berry has a good video about knowing if you are fat adapted. It is another one of those things that there is no hard line you cross. Just signs you are using fat more efficiently. And it is progressive. You may be able to call yourself fat adapted after a few weeks, but you will use fat for fuel more efficiently as you go.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #30

Oh good! You are a functioning human being :wink:

Haha ok glad to know that’s normal, I’m always hearing people say they aren’t ever hungry anymore and I can’t relate.

(Alec) #32

Not an official method, but my method is being able to do a 36 hour fast without too much hunger. If you do get significantly hungry during a 36 hr fast, then you are not yet really fat adapted.

As @OldDoug said, if you’ve been carnivore and losing weight, you are already burning body fat, so that’s a start. The only real way to know is to try it.

If you get hungry, have a drink/water, go find something engaging to do for an hour: if you are still hungry after an hour, you are not that fat adapted, and you should probably end the fast.

I have gritted my teeth through this in the past, but knowing now what I know, I don’t think this is a good idea.

You could go for a 36 hr fast to start, but then after 36 hrs, see how you feel. If you feel great (I often feel fabulous!), then carry on fasting until you just want to stop.

But even if I don’t feel great it’s still possible to keep going no?

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #34

I still feel hungry, but it takes longer after a meal. And I don’t get hangry, which is nice. I don’t feel the need to snack thru the day, or grab something on the way home from work. I can wait till I get home and can cook something. I still want to snack at night, but that’s a whole other can of worms.

(Alec) #35

Of course you can, but my strong recommendation is not to. You don’t have to feel great, you just have to feel ok. In my world, there’s quite a big difference between those 2.

Right right, I feel ya thanks !

Wish me luck ! I’ll be posting in here again soon crying I’m sure :kissing_heart: goodnight everyone thanks for responses

(Alec) #38

Best of luck. See how you go. Listen to your body.

(Allie) #39

I still get hungry too. I can go many hours without eating, but there’s always hunger at some point.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #40

I eat three meals a day and I’m usually super hungry for every single one of them.