Therapeutic benefits at 32 hours?

I am currently on hour 25 of my 36 hour fast…but who’s counting! I thought I read in one of dr Fung’s books that the therapeutic benefits of fasting really don’t start until hour 32 or 33. What therapeutic benefits specifically is he referring to? Why do they start at that point? What is the marginal benefit of hours after that point?( I mean do the benefits increase for every hour or do they continue at a steady rate?)

I assume he means something to do with keeping insulin levels low for an extended period of time.

Also it may have been Megan Ramos that said it.

(Diane Beebe) #2

I read that they decline after 72 hours…but now I can’t remember where I saw that :thinking:

(Herb Martin) #3

Dr. Fung might have changed his opinion but I’ve heard him say the following clearly:

• 2-week fast is the best quick fix for those who can do it under medical supervision.

• 3-day fast clears 70% of the liver fat is is excellent

• 1-day fast gets 70% of the value of a 3-day fast (.70 x .70 = 49%)

• Don’t do 2-day fasts because they require the hard part of 3-days with few advantages past the 1-day.

Do it anyway you can. 23 hours, every other day, 1-day 3 times a week, 3 days, 5 days, just find a way to do it.

I wanted to clear my liver and pancreas and get extended autophagic clean-up so I did 12-days and currently am starting day #7 of what I hope to be a 2-7 week fast, but I’ll stop whenever it isn’t working or isn’t safe.

(Tina Lemay) #4

Yesterday, I heard Dr. Fung say that 24-36 hours was the sweet spot for utilizing the stored proteins, like loose skin. Thus, the 3x/week 36 hours his clients are fasting never require skin removal after large weight loss numbers.

(Cindy) #5

Wow! This is all really great information. I’m petite and only had 15 pounds to lose. Keto is about Alzheimer’s prevention for me rather than weight loss. But I did notice that after I started 24 hour fasting only 1 day per week that my skin did tighten up from my 15 lb weight loss. I didn’t attribute it to fasting, but that could have been what did it!