The trouble with avocados

(Katy ) #41

I do this when they are on sale. Mash with some lemon juice and portion them into snack size baggies. My kids use them every day for eggs.

Send all your avacodos to me, then no more problems.

(Clare) #43

A supermarket here in the UK called Iceland now sells frozen avocado halves. They’re not quite as good as a perfectly ripe fresh one - however, they’re good enough. I can pull out a half from the freezer in the morning and pop it in my salad tub and by lunchtime, it’s perfectly ready to slice.
They seem to have been frozen with a light coating of ascorbic acid so they stay ok for a few hours as they defrost. I love a good perfectly fresh and ripe one but this is a good portion controlling solution for a single serving. They’re also great for guac. They also work out slightly cheaper than buying ‘ripe and ready to eat’ ones - which are usually neither…

(Diane) #44

You can keep a half an avocado from turning brown by putting some water in a small container and placing the avocado half upside down (with the pit in it) in the water, and putting it in the fridge.

Onion seems to work the best. I have kept avocados from browning up to 3 days with this method. I have tried lemon juice, water and plastic wrap and they all work to a degree.

Btw, since keto I haven’t had to preserve cut avocados because I always eat the whole avocado.

(Diane) #46

Thanks for the tip! I’ll be happy if this works better. I’ll admit that I usually don’t keep the other half longer than about a day anyway.

:grin:

(Helen Taylor) #47

Tesco in the UK sell frozen avo too. It’s a bit mushy but works well for guacamole etc.

Sometimes if my local Sainsbury fail to offer a two-pack at a hefty discount, I get them. Avo’s are imported here and very expensive. I usually buy them at Aldi but have to use the car to get there. Environmental nightmare, frankly.

(Bunny) #48

Squeeze test on avocados something I learned from my mother.

Too mushy no good unless you are making guacamole?

Too hard not ripe enough?

A little mushy yet firm ready to eat?

Real firm take home and save for later?

I always get some that are not ripe so that I have a steady supply and get the semi-firm ones to eat right away!

I’ve recently started buying avocados to put a half of one into my green smoothies a few times a week. I buy them hard, store them in the fridge and then the night before I pull one and let it sit on the counter. By next afternoon it’s soft and cuts nicely. I spread lemon juice on the half with the pit and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and put back in the fridge for the next afternoon’s smoothie.

This method is working with minimal browning, but I’m going to try the water method mentioned above and see how that goes :slight_smile: Since I’m only using them for smoothies right now I’d love to find them already frozen/chunked, but no stores around me sell them like that yet, bummer!

Same, for most days. Sometimes I still get the whole avocado, but since I am the only one who will eat them in the house, the guacamole is easier (especially at work). I will usually mash and freeze or refrigerate the other half when I do get them. I don’t suppose the store guacamole is nutritionally as beneficial as a straight-up avocado, but it is tasty.

It has yet to fail me! What a great trick. But I usually mash mine and then place a little water over the top in a container.

(traci simpson) #52

I buy under ripe ones and put them in my pantry in the dark for two or three days and they ripen nicely.

(Fernando Urias) #53

Avocado with Salt

1 serving. 2 minutes to prepare. 0 minutes to cook. 2 ingredients. Easy.

4.0 grams of net carbohydrate per avocado.

I added avocados to my diet to increase my potassium intake. I can eat them simply with salt. I buy avocados that are hard, not ripe, and place them in the refrigerator. Every time I go to the store, I buy enough to complete seven. Every morning I take them out and grab them one by one using my whole hand, not my finger tips. Any that feels not as hard as it was in the store is a candidate to be eaten. I eat one with coffee in the morning. They take longer to ripe in the refrigerator than in the fruit basket but they are more appetizing cold. If none is ready to be eaten, I do not try to eat one because it will be too hard to cut. I will just put them all back in the refrigerator and eat a sausage link or a slice of cheese.

1 avocado
6 shakes salt

1. Place a clean paper napkin on a serving dish.
  2. Wash 1 avocado and remove the pin of the stem with your fingers if it has not fallen off. Put the pin in the serving plate below the napkin. Dry the avocado with the paper napkin and place it on the serving plate.
  3. Pick the avocado with your less dominant hand and using a knife in your dominant hand, place the knife centered in the small circle from which the pin of the stem was removed and align the knife to cut the avocado lengthwise. Cut the little circle in half and push and move the knife gently until it cuts down and hits the pit. Gyrate the knife in the avocado to cut it all around the pit into two lengthwise halves. Remove the knife from the avocado and place it on the side of the serving plate.
  4. Grab the avocado with both hands and separate the halves. Place the halves in the plate.
  5. Pick the half that has the pit and place it in your less dominant hand. Pick the knife with your dominant hand. Place the knife flat in the avocado flesh with the sharp edge touching the pit. Wiggle the knife a little bit to loosen the pit. Place the pit on the plate by turning your hand that has the avocado half over the plate to drop the pit. Place the now pitiless half on the plate and the knife on the counter. This is a safe way to remove the pit. I do not want to see ever somebody like Meryl Streep with a hand bandaged because of lack of technique on how to cut an avocado.
  6. Add 6 shakes salt splitting the shakes between the halves.
  7. Pick one half with your less dominant hand and with the other hand, use a small metal spoon to take some of the avocado pulp from the edge and eat it.

Variations:

• Add a few drops of vinegar in the holes of the halves. Dip the spoon with salted avocado in the vinegar before eating.

• Squeeze 1/2 lime in the holes of the halves. Dip the spoon with salted avocado in the lime before eating.

(Bob M) #54

The troubles with avocados with me is that (1) I don’t like them and (2) they are high in PUFAs. I do eat them (as guacamole) sometimes, but not often.They are also one of those fruits that was tiny, with little meat, not too long ago and have been bred to be huge.

(Bunny) #55

Not true, that is a myth; PUFA is a balance not something to be avoided, people get ideas in their head because somebody said this or that and they want to believe in things (fairytales) that are not based in reality and cannot come up with a small sliver of evidence to support such a claim:

PUFA hysteria is a ill contrived concept not a reality!

And just to reinforce how lost in Yonkers you are with this PUFA hysteria; all that saturated fat you think your eating is so chalk full of various PUFA’s it would make your head spin just looking at the actual variations, bet you didn’t know that?

When you partially or fully hydrogenate a PUFA, saturated or monounsaturated fat or it goes rancid and becomes oxidized that’s what makes it bad and even worse when you throw highly refined sugars and carbohydrates on top of it.

…Somebody else comes along says “…oh well all PUFA’s, monounsaturated or saturated fats are bad?” (they have no idea what they are talking about; just say or do whatever nobodies going to question me?)

(linda) #56

Holy Toledo!
I’m in Chicago and our avocados -as of today at Jewel are $2.90 each! We eat them s-l-o-w-l-y. We have Trader Joes where you can get a pack of five for a lot less but you can’t really squeeze them to test their ripeness. I like a little “give” in softness - to me that is ripe enough to slice, add some salt and we’re good to go. Great ides here>

(KetoQ) #57

Avocados are 99 cents at Walmart, as they are in season.

This^^^. All of this. Fridge them in time and you’ll be fine. :+1:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #59