The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(Patrick) #161

I use a homemade rub, salt and whatever other spices you feel like. I smoke around 3 hours, sometimes basting it with bacon drippings. Next, turn the heat to 225 and put the ribs in a foil pan and cover with foil and back on the grill for 2 hours. Then remove the ribs and place back on the grill for 30-60 mins. I don’t add sauce but now would be the time. I also use a wood pellet grill.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #162

I make a Rub with equal parts Tumeric, Garlic Powder, Black Pepper and Smoked Paprika.

I cut the silver skin off the back of the ribs. Pat dry, rub the spice mix on and set on hotel pans uncovered.

Refrigerate Uncovered 24-72 hours.

Key step I take is to remove meat from fridge 2 hours before smoking.

Preheat oven to 500 Degrees

Smoke at 225 for 35-40 minutes

Immediately wrap in plastic wrap then foil.
Put in hot oven for 25-30 minutes, let cool in counter 2 hours.

Crank up the grill, open the rib packets, grill to sear a crust.

Serve with sauce!

(TJ Borden) #163

So I found time today to run a test batch of ribs (should be done in about an hour). Since the smoker was going I was looking in the fridge trying to see if I had anything else I could throw in there. I grabbed a couple eggs and figured, worth a shot. I wasn’t sure the smoke would penetrate the shell.

IT DID and smoked eggs are AWESOME!!!

(Chris) #164

Was at a contest once where a neighbor put a pan of eggs under his brisket in the morning. Gave us a couple for breakfast. It was incredible. I just assumed it was the drippings on the shell getting on your fingers and thus seasoning the egg. Tasted like chicken. Never did bother to ask him how long they took to cook

(TJ Borden) #165

My experimental ones were in there for about an hour @ 250. Next time I’m going to try a lower and slower approach to allow more smoke to penetrate without over cooking the egg.

He other cool thing is much like the hard boiled egg truck of putting them in water already boiling (versus cool water and bringing them to a boil), the already hot smoker quickly sets the whites so they peel super easy.

(Chris) #166

Forgot which thread the 72hr Brisket was in, but I did a brisket this weekend. Flat-hot n fast, but I smoked the point for 1.5hr, shocked it in cold water, vac sealed and into a 130 degree bath. will revisit it on tues or Wednesday. Only disappointment was a quick temp check showed it hit 145 before I pulled it. See if it turns out anyways

(Central Florida Bob ) #167

I don’t do baby backs, just full sized spare ribs. Our dry rub is applied like @Cailynq says, remove the silver membrane, coat in yellow mustard and use a mix of (at least) equal parts garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt, with black pepper, some cayenne powder, and Hungarian paprika. We use 3-2-1 and don’t sauce or spray.

One time during the 2 hours in foil, I put in some ACV, and that wasn’t a winner. Never did that again.

We also both prefer our ribs with a little more “bite”, not fall off the bone and disintegrating.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #168

@Capnbob which salt(a) do you use? We alternate between large flake kosher or pink Himalayan

(Central Florida Bob ) #169

I just use the coarse flake kosher salt.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #170

Score today!!! Well, on the 25th of this month. An old friend came by the jail today and asked if I wanted him to smoke a pork butt and some bologna. And of course I said YES!!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #171

How’d it come out?

(Chris) #172

eh, I didn’t follow your advice very well and got hit with a couple dings that screwed it up. Let me start with my mistakes

1. Used just a trimmed brisket point (Much harder to render out than a point)
  2. Didn’t have a temp probe in during initial smoke as I was cooking some other things. Checked the IT at 1hr and it was like 103, at 1:45 it was showing 147 on the thermopen. Rushed it into a ziplock and into cold water to shock it to attempt to save it.
  3. Sous Vide @130 for 70ish hrs (Not hot enough to tenderize a point at even 70hrs)
  4. Reheated on the grill like a steak

It was past the point of med rare from the initial overshoot, I wasn’t able to save that. The lower temp during the bath was too low (Though Ive done chuck at 130 and it had no issue getting tender as all get out).

Essentially what I ended up with was undercooked brisket, that did have a nice steak flavor. I did manage to eat all of it. Just very unique result I guess.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #173

Hrm… 70/130 should be okay, though I tend to go a bit warmer for med rare… The fat isn’t gonna render significantly in SV, which is why I smoke after for a few hours… get that fat rendered a bit.

Given that you’d taken it to 145, I probably would have cubed and smoked as burnt ends after the SV.

(Mandy) #174

Hey all. Just stumbled on this thread after being in the group a week or so. I’m an avid smoker. I make all of my rubs and sauces. Possibly one of the saddest moments of keto has been realizing I can’t add brown sugar to my rubs/sauces. Anyone successful with any of the sugar like substances in rubs? I only use this rub on pork as I’ve always found it needed a tinge of sweet but maybe that’s just the sugar burner in me.

(Sophie) #175

Welcome to smokers paradise! If you have any recipes for rubs or bbq sauce we’re all ears. :blush:

(Central Florida Bob ) #176

I still use a little brown sugar. A quarter cup spread over a whole pork butt doesn’t leave much in a portion. Most of it ends up in the bottom of the container the meat sits in overnight anyway. It has never kicked me out of ketosis.

That said, I’d like to try erythritol, since I find it the best alternative sweetener for me, but my wife has had bad experiences with sorbitol and some other sugar alcohols, so she doesn’t want to get within mile of sugar alcohols.

(Chris) #177

Took 2nd in Ribs and 11th overall at MN in May this week. Not keto at all! whoops. 70 teams.

(Sophie) #178

You may like to try this…it’s one of my favorites…$6.99 flat rate shipping continental US, on whatever you buy too.

https://www2.netrition.com/sukrin_gold.html

(TJ Borden) #179

I knew it!!! @JustPeachy is just a mole, trying to peddle product. All part of that big keto money…

So how’s the taste, because I’d love to add that to my rubs and cures?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #180

I know a guy (who is a jerk, but that’s besides the point) who makes Meathead’s Memphis Dust with a combination of Sukrin Gold for the brown sugar and Swerve for the white sugar. Claims he can’t taste the difference.