The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(Sophie) #1

Yes, I admit I’m a smoker. I love to burn Hickory but I have a difficult time finding green wood. One of these Days I’m gonna talk hubby into getting me another smoker that would be easier to fire. I know y’all have some suggestions.

Feel free to post all your smoker stuff here @Baytowvin @CFLBob @Ernest . And anything pork…I adore pork butt!

(TJ Borden) #2

I’m thinking I need a Costco run this weekend for more brisket and some pork butt.

I’m thinking of trying to sous vide some brisket prior to smoking it this time to see if I can pull of a good smoke flavor and bark with less time on the smoker.

(Robert Hollinger) #3

I use a Traeger wood pellet smoker/grill. just made some baby-backs for Easter using the 3-2-1 method and they turned out great!

(Central Florida Bob ) #4

Thanks for starting this, Sophie.

I actually have three smokers, but I think the one that stays outdoors is on its last legs. It’s a Char Griller with a side firebox. I like using chunks of wood instead of just little chips because the real, wood-fired smokers seem to give a pink smoke ring more consistently than the electric ones do.

One of the two Masterbuilt electrics I have is just sitting and my main smoker is one of their 30" “digital” smokers. The one with a solid door (not a glass door). I have the external smoke generator for it that plugs into the side so I can do cold smoking for cheese, salmon or other things. The electric smokers don’t really generate enough smoke until they’re set for around 200 degrees. Cheese will turn into soup at that. With the cold smoker, I can stick a big pan full of ice in the smoker and keep the cheese around 60 degrees while it smokes.

Smoked cheddar or jalapeno jack cheese is fantastic. Especially in a bacon cheeseburger.

Just did an 8 pound pork butt last Sunday, and we’re still eating leftovers. Like I was saying in the other thread, I need a better source for some briskets, but I have ribs and at least one more Boston butt in the freezer.

(TJ Borden) #5

What’s the 3-2-1 method?

(TJ Borden) #6

Apparently I need to look at getting one of those external boxes, because I definitely want to try smoking some cheese

(Sophie) #7

My smoker has an offset wood box too. Its not a very expensive one and it’s old. I asked for it for my birthday a number of years ago.

(Robert Hollinger) #8

3 hours smoking (on the Traeger this is 150-180 degrees) - I used a dijon mustard base and a keto dry rub
2 hours wrapped in aluminum foil with some liquid at 225 (usually this is bbq or honey or some sugary sauce but I used apple cider vinegar)
1 hour directly on the grate at 225 (or higher) to temp of about 170 I think.

(On Traeger grill even at the higher temps there will still be some smoke throughout the process)

(Robert Hollinger) #9

I want to get one too. it’s apparently a $200 add-on for me

(Guardian of the bacon) #10

I do it all the time. 155F/ 48+ hours chill overnight. Smoke 3 hours to basically bring it up to serving temperature. Awesome. I mostly just do a pepper rub with a hint of salt.

(Guardian of the bacon) #11

I find pretty nice prime briskets at Costco here in MI.

(Central Florida Bob ) #12

My nearest Costco is about 75 miles away. We have a BJ’s Wholesale close by with a good meat department, but they haven’t had packer briskets the last few times I went. When I asked the guy he just said there were none, not that they never get them.

(Sophie) #13

I’ve also been looking into cold smoking. I have half of a beautiful salmon that is begging for it! I’m thinking about trying a tube with pellets. Anybody got cold smoke experience? I figured with the price of smoked salmon at the grocery store I can do it for pennies on the dollar.

(Sophie) #14

You should ask to talk to their meat manager. See if he can order a few for ya!

(Central Florida Bob ) #15

Just in case you need a link, they call it their cold smoker attachment. Come to think of it, I got mine from Amazon, not these guys.

(Sophie) #16

Is that a stand alone unit?

(Central Florida Bob ) #17

I’ve smoked salmon twice. First time was a dry brine and cold smoke - but it turned out way too salty for me. Second time, I did a wet brine and it came out quite a bit better.

If I’m remembering right, I used the cold smoke attachment and had the chamber at 150.

I’d have no idea how to do cold smoking on your smoker.

(Sophie) #18

There’s lots of Youtube videos on cold smoke. That place gets me in trouble alllllll the time. :smile:

(Central Florida Bob ) #19

Yes. It’s just a box with a heater in the bottom and generates smoke. You don’t have to run the smoke into an electric smoker, if you can get the smoke into something else with aluminum dyer duct or something. It’s designed to plug a tube on its side into their digital smokers.

When fully loaded with chips, it will smoke for about 6 hours, but you need to stir up the chips every couple of hours: they release resins and then stick to vertical feed tube they’re in.

Oh, yeah, about Salmon - I’m in central Florida. I don’t think there’s a wild salmon within 1500 miles. I can get fresh, never frozen salmon at Publix, but I’m sure if you lived somewhere where salmon can be caught it would be even better. I think you said you were in the south, though.

(TJ Borden) #20

:rofl: I’m in Seattle. Here, if you try selling anything OTHER than wild salmon, you’ll get run out of town.