The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(Chris) #141

Call it a cover for poorly made, or an enhancement for expertly made Bbq. If it’s your preference that’s fine, but there is a lot of $$$$ out there to be had for perfect bbq and even sauced brisket reigns supreme. Even in Texas…

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #142

Just because that’s how they do it in KC, and thus the KCBS (notice the BS in there), has encoded it as “the right way,” doesn’t mean it is so. I kind of see the KCBS a lot like the folks who push the 6-11 servings of grains a day folks… pushing the wrong things for the right reasons.

(Chris) #143

The KCBS is international. IBCA is Texas, guess who the executive director is? Craig Sharry of Craig’s Sauces.

Don’t complain about dogma while pushing your own. Even in TX, bbq gets sauced.

(Sophie) #144

All this saucy talk is making me want to pull out my vinegar/mustard based recipe and push the rework of it up to my short list. The one, single sugar free bbq sauce that I could find locally is just not doing it for me. I swear if I could figure it out and bottle it, I’d make millions! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #145

I believe that’s what we call a disclosure of conflict of interest.

I lived in Texas Hill Country for 4 years. I am familiar with how Texicans eat brisket.

Sorry, but we KCBS judges don’t factor sauced/unsauced into our scoring except to disqualify if it’s pooled. Presentation/taste/tenderness. Nail those and you can compete.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #147

I wouldn’t compete in KCBS for numerous reasons. I likely wouldn’t compete in any BBQ competition.

Glazing with sauce, while not mandatory for KCBS standards, is largely preferred among KCBS judges, for appearance. Pooling of sauce is a deduction. Should be baked on, to a shiny lacquer for peak competition results. Not my cup of tea.

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #148

I hear it’s gorgeous in there!

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #149

I LOVE Al white sauce! I make it with stevia and horseradish. Yum!

(Sophie) #150

Sshhhhhh! We try not to spread that around! :shushing_face: And yes, it is really nice here. We have the perfect balance of seasons, never too much of any one. The sum total of our “winter” was about 2 dustings of snow and it was gone by noon. It sure beats the hell out of Chicagos 50"+!

(Central Florida Bob ) #151

I’ve never used stevia or any sweetener, just horseradish and some spices (onion & garlic powders with some pepper).

I’m sure there must be almost as many versions as there are cooks.

(Tubeman) #152

smoking cures ham

(TJ Borden) #153

Okay fellow smokers… since I’m still relatively new to it; any tips on smoking baby back ribs?

Most recipes/directions I’m finding online call for constantly spraying them with juice (aka sugar).

I was planning on just doing a dry rub, or possibly a mustard and rub. I’m just wondering if they’re going to dry out too much if I’m not spraying them all the time.

do the 3-2-1 method. For baby back though i like 2-2-1. 2 hours on smoker, then wrap in aluminum foil for 2 hours, then unwrap for final hour. Keep a metal pan full of water on grate during the first 2 hours will help keep moist.

(TJ Borden) #155

So if I’m smoking them at say, 250, and using a water pan, going 2-2-1, should I worry about spraying them?

I did finally find a spray recipe that didn’t have any sweetener. Normally I’d just do trial and error because it would just be me eating them, but I’m taking the ribs to a party this weekend and I don’t have time to run test batches.

all depends on how strict you are. you can be fine without spraying. I spray with a combo of vinegar and apple juice and i really dont believe there is alot of sugar left over but yes there will be some and if you seriously want no sugar then dont spray. what was that recipe you found? the wrapping is what really makes them moist and fall of bone. When you go to unwrap if the bones havent shrunk back an inch or so or the ribs dont feel like they want to break you could always leave in foil and extra half hour but that method never fails me. Sometime i even go 3 hours as first step to get more smoke flavor

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #157

The Last Meal Ribs at Amazing Ribs, can be made with a sugar less version of the rub, no wrapping, no spritzing, none of that. I’m not a fan of wrapping, as my goal is never fall off the bone.

(TJ Borden) #158

The spray was a mix of: water, oil, and cider vinegar with a little rub and Worcestershire.

mine arent truly fall of bone, but a good bite removes cleanly…no tug of war. have to check out that recipe

(Chris Carstens) #160

Continuing the discussion from The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!:

Four years ago I plunked down about $1300 for a Cookshack SMO 45. Perhaps the most brilliant decision of my life. Turns out perfect barbecue, and huge amounts of it. I can do three pork shoulders or two briskets at the same time. Nine racks of ribs? No issue.

The device is electric, and nearly air tight, so it is a self generating high humidity environment. Burns about 5-6 ounces of wood for the entire smoke. Flavor is magnificent.

Line the bottom with foil, load it up, set the temperature for 225 and pull it out when it’s cooked. How long does it take? It’s barbecue. You cook it till it’s done.

When I’m having a party , I set my schedule so the meet is done three hours before people show up. That gives me some time to play with. When the meat is finished, I pull it off, wrap it in foil, Then in some old towels, and stick it in the Styrofoam cooler till dinner time. Three hours in there and the temperature is still fine, and the meet is marvelously tender.

That’s all I know. Good luck. Have fun