The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #81

I’ll ask if he knows a wholesaler that’s open to the public. I haven’t hit mine up for a brisket, but they have whole pork bellies for a fraction of what Costco or my butchers sell them for.

(Central Florida Bob ) #82

Thanks.

So, wow, lots of info here, so I thought I’d ask…and many others are probably the same.I have a 22 " weber which I regularly use with hardwood charcoal and a stainless steel box full of hickory for brisket and chicken and whatnot, and precook with sous vide. What would you guys recommend as an upgrade / mod ?

(Ernest) #84

Slow n sear. Look at my picture a few posts up.

(Sophie) #85

I like the idea but my grill is not a Weber and has rectangle grates. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Ernest) #86

What grill is that, PK Grill?

(Central Florida Bob ) #87

Could you say more about what you’re looking to do? I read that as you don’t want to do long smokes, you’re more interested in adding some smoke flavor to a sous vide dish?

It seems to me that any could do that with almost anything, from the Slow n sear to a propane fired smoker, to an electric. Big or small. You name it. Slow n sear seems like it would be the lowest cost.

(Chris W) #88

I meant the regional tour, I have always wanted to go to a smoking tournament, mainly to see what is happening. I don’t think my stuff is that special to enter, I am a Texas style kind of guy I believe sauce is a way to hide pour workmanship but that is just me.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #89

I am a big proponent of what we call QVQ, which is a smoke (maybe cold, maybe hot), a Sous Vide process and a post Sous Vide smoke.

But I’m cooking on a glass grill with a pellet tube, so it takes some doing to get the good smoke flavor.

I do this for the big BBQ cuts… brisket, chuckles, pulled pork. Great results.

(Chris W) #90

I have been interested in doing something like this, with a brisket what kind of times and temps in the smoke-SV-smoke do you do?

Also looking at SV machines, I hear the anova is good any others?

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #91

I love my Joule. But Anovas are good too.

For a brisket, it’s a dry bribe, rub and smoke to an IT of 135 or below. Basically an hour or two. Then, a Sous Vide at 135x72h. Then shock in ice water, fridge for a bit. Rub again and smoke again to 135 or until the bark is set about right. That’s the process for the brisket I posted above.

(Chris W) #92

Is that just a flat you have pictured?

Are you getting the still firm sandwich slices at that point, I am normally at 198 ish IT for slicing in the smoke I know the SV can do it a lot lower.

Do you get more internal smoke flavor with that first smoke once its in the SV?

(Ernest) #93

Can’t go wrong with Anova or Joule. The only dealbreaker with Joule is that you operate it from an app. It doesn’t have physical controls.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #94

Let’s see. That picture has the flat half of a full packer. I don’t have a large enough bag to do a whole brisket, so I cut it in half.

I get the same jiggle with the long Sous Vide as a traditional brisket done with 225xhowever long.

I find it develops better bark and superior smoke versus just Sous viding and smoking.

(Chris W) #95

I think you can run the anova with google home now from what I have read, so I may pick up that one. But yes I like to be able touch buttons, my Igrill temp probes used to work awesome then weber got a hold of them pure garbage now.

thanks

(Cailyn Mc Cauley) #96

OMG I’ve found my Keto-mates!

(Sophie) #97

This was exactly why I got the older 800w Anova. And according to the tons of reviews, it doesn’t have all the issues the newer ones have. I really love it.

(Sophie) #98

Not sure what a PK grill is, but mine is a cheapo propane grill that we picked up from Lowes during our major drought when I was banned from using charcoal. 'Cos there ain’t no way I’m not gonna have my steaks, chops , grilled chicken etc.!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #99

Ah, no slow and sear for that. As a gas griller, learning to set it up as a passable smoker was the first major upgrade. The second was grillgrates to improve searing.

I’m probably gonna add a rotisserie this year. It’s year three.

(Ernest) #100

The first generation Anova didn’t last for me. The power supply gave in. I have the Wi-Fi and the Bluetooth now. One runs 24/7. Heated and ready to go.
One major issue with the new ones is the clump. I’ve had then replaced twice.