The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(Sophie) #41

This is how you approach it…start shopping for SV containers with lids (which cost extra) on Whamazon…then show her the cooler hacks on Youtube! Works pretty well if I do say so myself… :smile:

(TJ Borden) #42

Oh she knows, I’ve already spent money on those. I have a 12qt Rubbermaid container with a lid specifically for the Anova that sits on the counter all the time now. I originally ordered the lid and based on the cost assumes it was also the container… it wasn’t. :joy:

(Cynthia) #43

Do you all (y’all) ever get to Memphis for the Memphis in May World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest? If you do, I’ll look you up!

(Chris) #44

No, we compete in the KCBS. MiM is a whole 'nother beast MBN contest. I know a few KCBS teams have formed super-groups lately to compete at Memphis in May trying to win it before retiring, but its a huge endeavor.

As far a world/national level contests, We have done the American Royal Open and Invitational the last 2 years, World Food Championships in 2016, Sam’s Club National Pro BBQ Finals in 2016. 95% of our contests are around MN/WI/IA. Kids have drastically slowed us down the last 2 years.

(Central Florida Bob ) #45

When you mentioned drums, I thought you meant the homemade BUDS (Big Ugly Drum Smokers). This sounds more like a commercial product. Is that right?

(Chris) #46

We have drums made by a small place local called Whitewater Drum Smokers. Look very similar to Gateway Drums (too similar, had to alter their design). Cook similar to a UDS, just look great though

(Tubeman) #47

watching this thread. can’t wait until the weather gets better here so I can smoke more.

Last year I started both eating meat and keto. Within a week of trying brisket I bought myself a smoker. Best. Purchase. Ever. That and all the delicious point-cut briskies.

(Sophie) #48

You can smoke at any time of the year…just sayin. :wink:

(Ernest) #49

You and I can’t be neighbors. We’d never leave the backyards.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #50

The syzygy, though. I’d sous and we’d finish on the KBQ.

Here is one of the Mini WSM’s I’ve made. My Daughter lives in Taos, NM and her initials are on the front.

Yes. She is.

(Hooked on Smoke, that is…in case you wondered)

I’ve never posted a picture here before. I doesn’t look right, sorry.

Google Photos

(TJ Borden) #52

I’m jealous. I love the Taos and Santa Fe area.

We like it too. Its a 500 mile drive from Wichita to Taos, so we don’t get there often enough.

I built her Mini WSM for a Christmas gift, but she couldn’t get it back to her home. (She usually takes Amtrak to and from.) So my wife and I drove it out in late January for her birthday, and we spent the weekend immersed in Barbeque, Fat Bombs and various other KETO fun!

Just the 3 of us, and our dogs. Doin’ some Q and learning how to run a new pit. Not exactly a horrible way to spend a weekend in the mountains.

(Ernest) #54

See!! That’s what I’m talking about HAHAHA

i use a weber 22" charcoal grill with a smokenator…primarily clump with some briquttes to help the lump stay in chimney. primary woods i like are apple, cherry, hickory and oak. like doing butts and ribs mostly. one of my other favs though is chuck roast and wings…
make my own rubs but gonna be playing this year with recipes with no sugar since all my other rubs had a good amount of brown sugar and sometimes honey on my ribs…
keto bbq this summer !!! hope still as good

(Ernest) #56

Look into the slow n sear. It’s made for kettle grills to turn them into smokers.
It’s 100 times better than the smokenator.

(Sophie) #57

Can you keep us posted on this? I never used a rub when I smoked, just salt only. I never bought a rub either until a month ago. I found Bad Byrons Butt Rub and gave it a test. It needed more salt :laughing: but it wasn’t half bad either. I’m willing to experiment. Life should be adventurous! :blush:

just checked it out, looks very nice. only issue is maybe takes up to much room or should i say more than the smokenator. but i like alot of the other pluses of it…may be worthy of a new investment

mine are basically a base of paprika i look for a smoked when i can find. chili powders i like ancho and chipotles, cumin, kosher salt…gives alot more salt flavor due to crystal size, white and black peppers, garlic, orange rind, grapefruit rind, lime rind ( not all in same rub) . then i used brown sugar.
hoping removing sugar wont make alot of differeance. I find rubs to be the best flavor enhancement and also helps to seal meat.
i dont buy any commercial rubs because of all the crappy additives though.

(Ernest) #60

Nope, there’s enough cooking room. I used to have the smokenator. Now i can’t cook without the slow n sear. I have one for my 22 and one for my 26.