The Smokers Thread for Everything BBQ - You Know Who You Are!

(TJ Borden) #21

And…added to the amazon cart

(Ernest) #22

Similar to my process. I sous vide at 145, chill overnight and smoke at 170 degrees.

(Ernest) #23

By green wood I hope you don’t mean unseasoned wood…

(Central Florida Bob ) #24

I think you’ll like it. :grin: It does work well with their other products.

I got it for two main reasons: 1st was to cold smoke for cheese, almonds, Salmon and other fish, and 2nd was to get longer smoke times than the 1 hr I usually get out of a tray of chips. I find that the chips stick to the sides of their vertical chute and don’t just fall down as the ones on the bottom burn out. I get around 2 hours out of them before I have to poke a long screwdriver or something in there to get the smoke going better again. But it still makes those all night smokes easier to do. Two hour naps are better than one hour naps!

So to be honest, I got it for two reasons: it’s really good at one and better than what I had at the other, so it’s a winner to me.

(Chris) #25

Been doing competition Bbq for 8 years now. Excited to retire and enjoy Bbq again. Start getting burnt out after awhile. Have learned a lot though and the skills are very applicable to the ZC/keto WOE

(TJ Borden) #26

So what I’m hearing is we all need to have an BBQ educational party at your place.

I’m a pleb, I use a weber, temperature sensor, hardwood charcoal and a stainless steel box full of hickory. Still get delicious smoked meat, but I’m wondering what the BBQ masters would recommend ?

(Central Florida Bob ) #28

Ernest, since your badge says Admin, a question: how come I can’t find this thread from the “Food” topic?

How do I find it?

(Chris) #29

We cook on a combo of Drum smokers and insulated reverse flow verticals. As the sport has changed and our personal preferences we’ve changed a bit. Good BBQ can be made on anything if you know how to control it.

Just made the jump to hot n fast brisket cooking officially this year. Wagyu briskets are just a different animal when cooked on direct heat and quick. I’m getting brisket cooked in the same time that it takes me to cook ribs. Plus cooking on the drums, we have abandoned Guru’s and temp probes. All our bbq is ultimately cooked by feel, but on the drums, the cook is so fast that we cook by time and feel. The kinds of things that excite me now days.

search for Totally Sauced on facebook for our team page

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #30

Can I get a 135/72 hour brisket? Rub, smoke for an hour before, 135/72, shock, chill, rub, smoke to 135 IT. Brisket… medium rare. It’s a thing.

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

Wait… I’ve never heard the term 135/72 before. Smoke to 135 IT? What’s the 72? 72 hours in the smoker? I thought we smoked to around 205 because brisket is too tough to cook to a medium rare temp?

(Chris) #32

I assume he is talking sous vide. Looks like Ive got something to try!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #33

Sous vide.
You smoke to that moment of jiggle, which is usually around 203, but can happen anywhere from 195 to 210. you smoke at 225, get there in 10-18 hours. Whole lot of variables there.

I cook lower, in sous vide, for longer, get the same jiggle. I do the first smoke to build smoke flavor and start the bark, I do the second one for extra smoke flavor and to set the bark.

You can’t make a MR brisket that will be any good without sous vide. On a smoker, you have to cook it to death.

(Central Florida Bob ) #34

Thanks. I read that as sous vide for most or all of the 72 hours with an hour in smoke before you vacuum pack it and then again at the end. I’m going to guess the “shock, chill, rub, smoke” means to take it from the hot water bath and put it in the freezer for a little while, then the refrigerator for more time (overnight/) then finally put on more rub and put it back into a 225 smoker for the last hour.

I don’t have a sous vide cooker, and didn’t think they made them big enough for a brisket. To be honest, the method hasn’t interested me until this.

I have yet to produce a brisket that I think is really the way it should be. My wife liked them all, but I still think I have a lot to learn.

(Sophie) #35

I think the shock is for an ice bath and then into the fridge, for quick cooling.

And I just got a SV and I’m totally head over heels in LOVE with it! You are going to be Amazed at how much better your meat will turn out. And besides that, it’s so forgiving you won’t be a slave to temperature anymore! Go Get Yourself One Today! :smile: :+1:

I’m addicted to smoke.

I have two 18" Weber Smokey Mountains, and A heavily modded CHEAPO Brinkmann Gourmet with throttles and a damper that seals up better than even a seasoned WSM. I’ve modded 6 or 7 like that (FrankenBrinkmanns) for friends and family until they went out of business. I’ve made 4 Mini WSM smokers out of Weber Smokey Joes and tamale steamers, but gave them all away.

I am currently modifying a 30" Masterbuilt Electric with a 1200 Watt Element and a PID controller to hold steady…like is used in a Sous Vide cooker…but am kinda stalled out on that project.

My Masterbuilt uses The Mailbox Mod off to the side for a smoke generator, with an Amaz-N-Products Tube Smoker and pellets for 6 hours of dependable smoke.

Mine is not like this, but you’ll get the idea. Mailbox Mod for add-on Pellet Smoker

But I’ve never yet cold smoked ANYTHING, much less cheese. I will though.

Having said all that, I’m pretty much a rank beginner, compared to an 8 year veteran of Competition Cooks. THAT my friends, is as much ART as SCIENCE, and they don’t think like a backyard BBQ-aholic thinks. They use a bewildering amount of tricks and tweaks, and I am not worthy to be listed on the same thread.

But, I do LOVE my smoked meats, and it is a big part of my 140# weight loss.

(Chris) #37

Ive attached my anova to a cheap cooler a few times. works better than you’d think. Takes a while to come up to temp with a large volume of water, so start with hot if possible

(Chris) #38

It wasn’t until we got WSM’s that our bbq progressed to the point where we considered competing. So easy to run with solid temps. I cant recommend them enough to people.

Drums just expand on the WSM cooking. I actually borrowed a friends 22" wsm and took out the water pan to simulate the drum cooking before I made the financial commitment to buy a drum.

(TJ Borden) #39

With all the appliances and gadgets I’ve accumulated since starting keto, I can just see my wife rolling her eyes if/when she sees me cutting a hole in one of our coolers for the sous vide. At the same time, she can’t complain because not only do I use all the gadgets now (unlike the pre-keto appliance graveyard), but now that she’s on the keto train, she’s also benefiting.

I think I’m going to need to do the cooler thing soon, because the largest pot I have will only fit about 1/4 of one of the Costco briskets.

(Chris) #40

I didn’t cut a hole. Wife bought a super cheap ~50qt cooler to bring on a camping trip and the walls are thin enough that I just clamped it on the side. Im sure its not as efficient as keeping a lid on, but I just put some foil over the top to keep heat down. Ill see if I can find a pic