The Sewer's Thread (get it?)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #41

My sewing machine is neurotic and works only when the stars align properly. I’m in the market for an old mechanical Singer or such—these electronic machines are too temperamental!

Anyway, pillows are a great idea. I’ve got a bolt of fabric from a reupholstering project that never came off, plus various odds and ends, and I’ll start saving items that get too big to wear. When’s the next KetoFest?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #42

There is almost nothing you can’t fashion from a blanket, an old stretched-out sweater, or a too-large clothing item. Anything disintegrating into holes is pronounced: “rags for polishing.” I have literally thrown nothing away since 2003. Okay, underwear.

And everything gets the Seam Ripper Treatment. Before scavenging the fabric from something, I go over it and carefully remove each button, pull-tie, cord lock, patch of Velcro, zipper, and buckle if there was one and make a pile of free notions.

(Linda Culbreth) #43

Okay to have your homeless person shopping cart - as long as it of full of :bacon:

(Linda Culbreth) #44

:bacon: pillows and throws…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #45

Like Lady Gaga’s meat dress?

(Sophie) #46

https://www.colettepatterns.com/catalog/no-regrets-pin

(Stickin' with mammoth) #47

Dibs on the meat dress! Long as I get to eat it. Alone. With marinated mushrooms.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #48

And coconut-flour gravy! :bacon:

(Sophie) #49

Jesus Christ Paul you just gave me an idea to try Oat Fiber instead of flour for gravy! I wonder if it would even work, maybe with some gum of some sort in there… sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program. ktb

(Sophie) #50

Just bumping for our seamstresses out there… found this today.

Can you even imagine?!?!? My fear of fucking up something like this would paralyze me completely. Kudos to those brave women who put their skills on the line!

(Jacquelyn Graham) #51

I have a room. A sewing room, full of UFOs and WIPs and wishful thinking. I love it. :slight_smile:

(Jo) #52

Hey Guys - Do recommend good online class for altering (AKA TAKING IN!!! :smile: :smiley: :star_struck::grin: ) Clothes? I’ve used craftsy for quilting - to much success…

My fatgirl pants which i love are getting too loose and while I can quilt very well and do basic hemming and stuff, I’ve never tried to take apart pants and resize them. I have a large collection of ‘work clothes’ that i don’t want to fully replace until I’m closer to goal, so i’m willing to experiment on them as i drop sizes…

That and I’ll be buying dresses as needed to supplement. Less than 1 month keto and i’ve lost almost 2 inches off EACH of my hips, waist and breast… CAN"T HARDLY BELIEVE IT :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

J

(Sophie) #53

If your pants have elastic waist bands, then turn them inside out and pin the outer seams to your new size. It’s easy enough to unpick the waist, sew your new seams and gather the elastic to your smaller size, resew the waist casing. You will have seams in your new sized band.

If your pants have a fitted waist, for me personally, unless it’s a high quality material, time would be better spent just making a new pair of pants, instead of reworking a fitted band.

And congrats on your inches lost! You have melted! :clap::clap::clap:
Maybe you can look on YouTube for alterations?