The secrets of your food

(ianrobo) #1

The brilliant Micheal Moseley is doing this on BBc2 (happens to be opposite Broadchurch) but just watched it and says a lot of what we know which is great !!

One for you @Daisy ?

Ah. I think I have recorded it. Was it good?

(ianrobo) #3

yep finally someone at work understood why I kept saying carbs is pure sugar. He gets Sugar is bad but not carbs … it is that kind of thing that wins our side of the debate.

(ianrobo) #4

Key quote @Daisy Carbs are the rocket fuel for our diet, not the essential, though they never quite go into GNG etc.

Probably goes some way to explaining the addictive quality for some too maybe?

I have a lot of respect form Mosely. Did you watch the latest Trust Me series?

(ianrobo) #6

oh for sure, the addictiveness is because 1) it is sweet and hits the ‘spot’ and 2) it gives you an immediate energy boost and satisfies the insulin cycle.

this is where you clash with Kevin Hall’s of the world disclaiming the metabolic theory for weight gain and what we believe.

The one point is real science does not back Hall, it back us.

Nope never heard of the Trust me series, just googled it, will watch

Yes I also thing though that element of not being essential has something to do with it for some of us - so it is a want rather than a need and, for some, controlling wants is tough.

Oh you should really check out Trust Me. They do great experiments to test various things out. They did a good one on fish oils this season.

(ianrobo) #8

strange never came across it before but frankly don;t watch a lot of TV now … typical millennial watching most on the net ha ha …

Yes what this showed is protein is essential and of course fat… but it showed carbs only good for energy delivery, nothing else and not essential. Without carbs we don;t die, without protein we become very sick

that is great to see such a seemingly (to many) bold statement on tv. Trust Me is another BBC2 prog.

I am also a bit of a box set type viewer and tend to store up stuff on the freest + box to watch - unless it decides to have a hissy fit and wipe it all of course!

(ianrobo) #10

sorry they never quite said that but that is what you can determine from what they said if you listen and think about it.

Then talking about grass fed meat hmmmmmm

I did think it was a bit of a bold statement for tv!!!

(bulkbiker) #12

They also did a dreadful feature on a “high fat” diet though. I used to think Moseley was quite informed as well as entertaining but he seems to be forgetting the “show me the science” and going for effect these days. Shame…

He is not a great fan of keto. I watched a presentation of his a while back. He is very much in the Med diet camp and also caloric restriction. He is definitely in the right ball park - especially as a mass appeal - but not refined enough for my liking and misses the boat when it comes to the problems with carb addiction. I don;t have a problem with limited consumption of things like sourdough bread either BUT so many cannot do the limited consumption so it comes down to the old tried and tested and failed eat less or at least in moderation strategy which is destined for failure.

(Cathy Schroder) #14

We’re there any conclusions on fish oil? I’ve just read an article by Chris Kresser who makes a good case for avoiding tablets because of oxidation and suggests just eating fish is safer.

Yes, very good ones for both fish and the oils. Read the article :wink:

(ianrobo) #16

we should remeber this was more about informing people about the science of food. What each macro nutrient does, etc. Made a strong point on too much Omega 6 causing inflammation etc but left it open for people to decide themselves to stop having vegetable oils.

IMHO our whole movement as Jimmy Moore should be about informing people on the facts nd then they make the call. They are the empowered patient in this.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #17

hmm…well I’m an old git, and I hardly watch TV either, and then mostly via the net. :slight_smile:

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #18

…and then you have to worry about mercury…

…Dr Mercola recommends krill oil, and surprise surprise, he has a product. (But he may still be right).

(ianrobo) #19

nah, this thing about Mercury is rubbish put out buy Vegans I am afraid. A Myth … fake news if you like

@ianrobo so I have just watched it and not surprisingly got annoyed at a lot of it! What I found fascinating though was the segment on the mushrooms and D and how they could be turned into D factories by drying them in the sun. How amazing is that?